Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,524,562 times

Advertisements

When you add or delete channels on your TV, it affects which channels appear when you press ch+/-.

If channel 8 has been deleted because you rarely watch it - on some TVs (like a Sony Bravia) you can press 8 and still see it. But on other TVs (like a newer Vizio I tried), if you press 8 nothing will happen. In other words, the only way to see 8 is to go through the menus and add it.

I would prefer it's the former way and not the latter. Do you know if most TVs do it like the Sony? I doubt I can find this out from looking at specs on web pages, nor using the TVs in stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
I don't think there is anyway to know that unless you test it out. Most people don't even use channels on the physical TV anymore, just the inputs for various devices. Just for S&G's I tested it out briefly. I have 3 different Samsung LCD's, a Pioneer plasma and a Panasonic plasma. All three worked like the Sony example in your post. Even if the channel was not added in the list, I could still tune it by manually punching in the channel number.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When you add or delete channels on your TV, it affects which channels appear when you press ch+/-.

If channel 8 has been deleted because you rarely watch it - on some TVs (like a Sony Bravia) you can press 8 and still see it. But on other TVs (like a newer Vizio I tried), if you press 8 nothing will happen. In other words, the only way to see 8 is to go through the menus and add it.

I would prefer it's the former way and not the latter. Do you know if most TVs do it like the Sony? I doubt I can find this out from looking at specs on web pages, nor using the TVs in stores.
Did you press "enter" after pressing 8? Seems like I remember some TVs understand that if you press a number that you want to go to that channel, and some don't. Were you on the TV tuner input when you tried?

There is no spec that will tell you what you want, nor will you find it in the descriptive text. You'll need to be hands on for this.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:36 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,524,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Did you press "enter" after pressing 8? Seems like I remember some TVs understand that if you press a number that you want to go to that channel, and some don't. Were you on the TV tuner input when you tried?
This is beside the point. Pressing 8 and waiting, is the same has 8 + Enter, on all the TVs I mentioned.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
This is beside the point. Pressing 8 and waiting, is the same has 8 + Enter, on all the TVs I mentioned.
Some people would test that theory by pushing enter, but if you're positive there's no chance of that being the issue, don't waste that extra half second. I applaud your confidence.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
But not on all current TVs. Some TVs require the +enter to compensate for those who have children who pickup the remotes and play with them. Usually its an added feature which can be shut off in some setup screens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics