Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,161,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would suggest you shouldn't need to be Einstein to program a remote.

The Harmony software is pretty straight forward and it wasn't hard at all to get it working. The sync issue is really not a Harmony problem but limitation of the devices.
Einstein? Not for a Harmony level product. It is intended to be user programmable, and is appropriately simple. Harmony is the "ready to fly" airplane model of the controller world. It's the Betty Crocker cake mix, the Shake and Bake, the Rooms to Go. Fairly simple, fairly limited, predictable mundane outcome. That's perfectly fine for many people. But if you get away from the Harmony to controllers that can be truly custom programmed, you'd see that there is a completely different level of expertise and experience needed, with the results being accordingly far more versatile. As I said in my earlier post most people (including my buddy) have no clue as to what a properly programmed controller can accomplish. Most people, also, aren't willing to spend what it takes to get one. That's one reason why Harmony has done well.

If the Harmony does not offer discreet commands in its programming, but the devices do (cannot stress enough that we rarely saw a mainstream component that did not), then it is a limitation of the Harmony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If the Harmony does not offer discreet commands in its programming, but the devices do (cannot stress enough that we rarely saw a mainstream component that did not), then it is a limitation of the Harmony.
It does for my home theater, it's the cable box and the TV that don't have a discreet command. Either they don't have it or Harmony doesn't know it.

Quote:
Fairly simple, fairly limited, predictable mundane outcome.
I don't know what more you can ask of it, I can program custom keys, key sequences etc. That's where the LCD screen comes in because you can name your function. For example I have custom "acitivity" for listening to the music over the cable. That one button turns on the cable and the home theater. I used the custom keys on the lcd screen to program the different channels. Classic Rock, Pop Rock etc.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It does for my home theater, it's the cable box and the TV that don't have a discreet command. Either they don't have it or Harmony doesn't know it.

I don't know what more you can ask of it, I can program custom keys, key sequences etc. That's where the LCD screen comes in because you can name your function. For example I have custom "acitivity" for listening to the music over the cable. That one button turns on the cable and the home theater. I used the custom keys on the lcd screen to program the different channels. Classic Rock, Pop Rock etc.
Obviously.

I have designed, sold and overseen the installation of systems in which the system controller:

*operated a media room level system with at least 11 components in it including 3 TVs, while also being able to operate a projector based outdoor viewing area, AND controlling the music from half a dozen sources in two adjoining rooms. All from one controller, of which the client had two that were identical.

*was tailored for each of several family members. Dad wants everything, mom wants 10 TV channels and one FM radio station, the kids want 43 kinds of music and streaming TV.

*Operated separate surround and music systems in simpler setups. This is common.

Then you get into the even more flexible setups like Control 4 and Crestron which can control any or all of the home's electrical and mechanical systems (with interfaces) from one controller. Only one's imagination is the limit with those.

But for all systems, reliability is a primary focus for the controller and its programming. By that I mean that anyone can use the entire system, to the fullest extent of its capabilities, while needing little more than the ability to read and touch a screen. That means correcting things that the casual button pusher has messed up, like speakers A/B, anchoring surround modes to individual inputs AND knowing the difference between music and video, etc. Touchscreens offer a higher level of simplicity because most of the buttons on the remotes do not need to be available for daily use of the system. We only put the necessary buttons on the system controller, at least under the main pages.

As with anything, until you've used one and seen firsthand what I can do, you may never appreciate what a better product can offer. You don't know what you don't know, just as I don't in many subjects. If a base model Camry is the highest performing car you've ever driven, and your interest in cars extends only as far as simple transportation, you may have no idea how much faster/better handling/comfortable/exciting an M3 BMW or Cadillac CTS-V could possibly be.

A question for you-does your controller set a different (or no) surround mode for cable music than it does for watching TV, or a disc, or streaming video?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics