U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 AM

197 posts, read 740,287 times

Advertisements

I have been a Comcast customer for a number of years now. Does anyone else have issues with their billing department? It seems like they always seem to overcharge me like if I change a service or add a new one (thru prorating) etc...and seem to write it off as a billing error. Im one that questions out of the ordinary bills (usually ones that are more that usual.) I feel sorry for people that see the bill in the mail, look at the amount, shrug their shoulders and pay it without first questioning it. I'm sure Comcast makes alot of money off people like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 PM

58 posts, read 106,228 times
Default Comcast Billing (Unethical)

I just caught Comcast adding a $5.00/month charge for a modem lease since February. I bought my modem at Circuit City.

The girl at Comcast says that their system does sweeps and claims that they identified my modem as owned by Comcast and started the billing for a lease. I asked her how long would it take to correct it in their system and give me a credit for the overbilling. She replied that it is correct and the charges are correct. I then replied. If that were true, how do I have the original retail box that the modem came in? This is something that only the true owner of the modem could have. After that statement, The tone of the conversation changed to a more helpfull one.

Now I am wondering if Comcast actually trains their employees to lay claims to customer owned equipment in hopes of not getting caught(that sounds like a crime to me). It took a malfunction in my cable tv for me to even look at the bill.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM

197 posts, read 740,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecu View Post
I just caught Comcast adding a $5.00/month charge for a modem lease since February. I bought my modem at Circuit City.

The girl at Comcast says that their system does sweeps and claims that they identified my modem as owned by Comcast and started the billing for a lease. I asked her how long would it take to correct it in their system and give me a credit for the overbilling. She replied that it is correct and the charges are correct. I then replied. If that were true, how do I have the original retail box that the modem came in? This is something that only the true owner of the modem could have. After that statement, The tone of the conversation changed to a more helpfull one.

Now I am wondering if Comcast actually trains their employees to lay claims to customer owned equipment in hopes of not getting caught(that sounds like a crime to me). It took a malfunction in my cable tv for me to even look at the bill.
These companies will do anything to add to the bottom line of making "more" money....Maybe thats why Verizon FIOS is picking up so many ex-Comcast customers, although I can't attest to their business practices.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 11,113 times
Exact same thing happened to me. They bill me for lease on my own modem for more than a year and I would have called atleast 5 times over 3 months before I gave up on it as it still not corrected. But recentely I moved from VA to FL and where I have again taken comcast internet service and asked to close the account in VA and also mentioned about the incorrect billing on modem. The rep told that he can give me a credit for not more than six months at that time. But to my surprise despite closing that account they still keep me billing on my old account and when I called them recently to correct this again they tell me that I will be getting refund for partial month and when asked about the modem lease incorrectly billing for last one year the rep says that since now the account was closed no one can do anything about it. Wow Comcast! What a great way to rip customer off and make money to add to your bottom line. Keep up cheating the customers.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,015,183 times
vsrao,

as horrible as it is... you can keep pressuring these companies. They get away with stuff like this because people aren't raising a big enough fuss about it.

But you can and will win if you fight long enough, for proof... google "Verizon 2 cents"

Old 11-02-2008, 10:47 AM

414 posts, read 1,662,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
I have been a Comcast customer for a number of years now. Does anyone else have issues with their billing department? It seems like they always seem to overcharge me like if I change a service or add a new one (thru prorating) etc...and seem to write it off as a billing error. Im one that questions out of the ordinary bills (usually ones that are more that usual.) I feel sorry for people that see the bill in the mail, look at the amount, shrug their shoulders and pay it without first questioning it. I'm sure Comcast makes alot of money off people like this.
I have problems with Comcast as well. Their hope is that you won't want to sit on the phone and wait for a rep and you'll just ignore the charges so you won't have to go through the hassle. Crappy but reality. I have no other option for cable because my HOA won't let me have a satellite dish.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 11,006 times
comcast are ripping me off i have a set bill of 99 dollars, a package deal for a year that is where they hook you, then they over charge you big time i was also out of service due to the storm for 5 weeks. they never rembursed me for that time i was out and they added 200 dolars more to my bill and now they want to turn me off. i am going to turn them in to the better buissness bru. they will be handled for this rip off scam.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 21,563 times
Default You should not have been billed for a customer owned modem

I wish I had seen this forum earlier. the monthly cost for a modem is $3, but only when you lease it.
unless you have homenetworking services meaning Comcast set up a network in your home, and sets up a gateway then they charge $5 for the lease of the gateway. The customer service rep is required to verify the Mac address that is located on the modem and also on the original box.
The Mac address is unique.
Here is my advice as a former comcast employee. When you purchased the modem at a retail store and have the original box as well as the receipt, you should not have the problem to get the owed amount credited back to your account. If Comcast is giving you any trouble, ask for a supervisor and don't forget to get the operator ID of the agent.
They did the same thing with me after I am no longer an employee, now all of the sudden they want to charge me for my modem that I purchased at walmart about two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecu View Post

Last edited by shaylee80909; 12-24-2008 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: adding additional info

Old 12-25-2008, 10:10 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,572,775 times
I too was charged a $5 per month modem rental fee even though I was using my own modem. I eventually got the issue straightened out, but instead of crediting my account they just stopped charging me. It was probably five or six months before I realized that I was being charged this fee. When I went to discontinue their service I was told that I would have to return the modem. I explained the situation to them, they said OK -that they would remove the modem from the invoice. Well lo and behold, I later received a bill in the mail, for the modem!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 21,563 times
Default Some Tips on how to get issues resolved with Comcast

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while but I have a few tips on what you can do when comcast is billing you for equipment that belongs to you the customer like a cable modem.
The cost of leasing a modem is to my best knowledge $3 per month unless the prices are different depending on the region.
Let's say you have purchased a cable modem from a retailer e g Walmart, that modem has to be registered with Comcast.

I know it is frustrating to call in and wait, when you call in make sure to get the high speed internet dept on the line, your cable modem is related to your high speed internet service, have your receipt handy and write down the MAC address that located on the modem either in the back or on the bottom, it looks like a bar code sticker and the mac address is 12 digits long contains numbers and letters, it is either a cable mac or hfc mac (motorola modems). Like I mentioned before the mac address is a unique number. Therefore the comcast system is able to detect a duplicate. When you have the rep on the phone tell them you have purchased the modem, they enter it into the system. Make sure you ask if there is your old leased comcast modem still on the account, if yes and you have it returned already then you want to have the Rep remove the modem from the account. Get the operator id of the rep and the first name, write it down with the time and date when you called in.

For those of you who are still getting billed for your modem that you own, and you have not been credited for the charge you actually overpaid, ask for a supervisor immediately, if it is a charge longer then 6 month and you have proof you own the modem, they have to follow a procedure, by filling out an equipment research form and submit this form, don't forget to write everything down. The problem is a Rep can only look up the account for the past 6 month, which doesn't mean you will not get credit for what you overpaid. Unfortunately everything takes longer.

If you are still unsuccessful with getting your account credited for equipment that is yours, then I suggest you file a consumer complaint with your local Better Business Bureau and also the Attorney General in your State. Of course you don't want to mention this to the Rep, as soon they hear something like this, they can't talk to you anymore, means they are not allowed, when it gets to the point of legal stuff.

I hope you all get your issues resolved with comcast. And it is a shame that customers have to go through all this. A last tip, even when you are angry and frustrated stay calm and friendly, that is the best route to go, to get your issue resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics