U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 03:57 PM

969 posts, read 2,439,877 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm old fashioned. I still have a VCR and relish the fact that I can buy movies on VHS for less than the cost of a store kiosk dvd rental with no late fees. I would like to tape some of the Olympic games using blank VHS tapes but I discovered that my inventory is spartan. Short of going out to by more blank VHS tapes, here are my options:

1) I have some brand new "premium grade", "extra high quality" whatever marketing term you want to use for more expensive 6 hour (T-120) blank VHS tapes made in the late 1980's to early 1990's. What would the video quality be like if I recorded 4 hours of sporting events in the LP mode on these tapes?

2) I found some blank standard grade 6 hour (T-120) VHS tapes from the early 2000s that I used once to record a series on PBS. I don't plan on watching that series again, so I was wondering what the quality would be like if I recorded 4 hours of sporting events over the original PBS series in SP mode using two tapes?

In the future, I will be better prepared with good supply to tapes and for events that I want to record to keep for a long time, is it worth it to pay extra $ for the expensive blank VHS tapes and record on them in SP mode?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 08:07 PM

40,284 posts, read 41,836,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
1) I have some brand new "premium grade", "extra high quality" whatever marketing term you want to use for more expensive 6 hour (T-120) blank VHS tapes made in the late 1980's to early 1990's. What would the video quality be like if I recorded 4 hours of sporting events in the LP mode on these tapes?
Do a test run and see if it's acceptable. The bigger issue with LP is how long they are going to be watchable. There is certain amount of "slop" in VHS. Tapes stretch as they are watched, you're machine can never play back at the exact speed, etc. When you are recording in LP you're increasing the possibility of things like timing issues because the speed needs to be more precise. If you have any tapes that skew or can't be watched that's usually the result of timing issues caused by a lot of play. That can actually be corrected but only with expensive equipment such as a TBC or the less effective LTBC's found on higher end VCR's.

You can avoid all that by recording in digital.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM

5,903 posts, read 5,049,829 times
I hit salvation army and any where I can for good recorders and used tape you can always tape over.
Some are missing the remote control but as long as you have the control to do most of the operation on the machine I don''t care .
Yard sales and flea markets are a good source for VCR related stuff .
I don't worry about quality much it's a given ,long as most of the movie works I'm happy.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM

18,564 posts, read 55,493,012 times
You have another option. Hi thee to a thrift shop and purchase a few VHS tapes of "Barney Does Dallas" and look on the back for the indent in the lower left. Use a bit of scotch tape to make that indent flush with the rest of the case and tape away.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,671,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You have another option. Hi thee to a thrift shop and purchase a few VHS tapes of "Barney Does Dallas" and look on the back for the indent in the lower left. Use a bit of scotch tape to make that indent flush with the rest of the case and tape away.
Interesting idea. I'd look for movies that were less likely to be watched, or even self help type tapes that people received as gifts and were never watched; still wrapped.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:28 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
Have you consider a DVD recorder, the media is super cheap.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:50 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Barney Does Dallas"? What kind of "thrift shop" you been going to?

Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Strange ones. See this image below? They were selling rugs with it in a pattern on the rugs. Wanna know what they called the design?

Spoiler
Florida Leafs

Old 02-10-2014, 12:33 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times
Well, that's butchering the fleur de lis ... but why'd you post it here?

Old 02-10-2014, 03:13 PM

That is the type of thrift shop I visit. The do have Barney tapes, used VHS recorders and other weird stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics