Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times

Advertisements

Last night I set my DVR to schedule the Blue Jacket vs Stars hockey game. It was to begin at 8:30. I went to a movie and returned at about 9:30 intending to watch the game from the beginning on the cable DVR. It was on FSNO. It turned out that one of the players had an emergency health issue about midway through the first period, he collapsed and the game was postponed to a future date. My DVR had none of the game on it. According to the DVR, I was recording the Blue Jackets-Stars game but it was not what was recorded. My first thought was that the entire game had been postponed due to weather or something, but no, half of the first period was played, yet none of it appeared on my DVR. Instead I got past MMA fights. My neighbor, who was watching the game on TV live on FSNO, did see the incident.

Question; Is it possible for the broadcasting network or the cable provider to pull from a customer's DVR what would already have been shown of a program in progress, and reinsert other programming? That is what seems to have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 02:33 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Any chance your DVR didn't spring forward? Did your friend watch the game on the same channel, in the same area where you live? Do you both get your tv signal for that channel from the same provider? Was that game live in your time zone?

I've had a DVR for over 7 years. I've never heard of any cable provider accessing/deleting programming on my DVR.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:54 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
No, a cable company cannot PULL content off your DVR. The most they can do is set it to expire on a certain date. Sounds like a hardware malfunction.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Any chance your DVR didn't spring forward? Did your friend watch the game on the same channel, in the same area where you live? Do you both get your tv signal for that channel from the same provider? Was that game live in your time zone?

I've had a DVR for over 7 years. I've never heard of any cable provider accessing/deleting programming on my DVR.
At 9:30 I began watching what I thought was going to be the game which then would have been an hour into play. The DVR recorded an hour from FSNO but it was not the game. It was old MMA fights. But FSNO did broadcast the game (what there was of it) because my neighbor saw it. I find it perplexing.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:08 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
At 9:30 I began watching what I thought was going to be the game which then would have been an hour into play. The DVR recorded an hour from FSNO but it was not the game. It was old MMA fights. But FSNO did broadcast the game (what there was of it) because my neighbor saw it. I find it perplexing.
How does your neighbor receive FSNO? Maybe his provider showed it while yours did not.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
How does your neighbor receive FSNO? Maybe his provider showed it while yours did not.
I had recorded FSNO and my neighbor was watching FSNO, so I do not see how a different provider would make a difference.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I had recorded FSNO and my neighbor was watching FSNO, so I do not see how a different provider would make a difference.
I dunno. It seemed to make sense yesterday when I needed more coffee.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 03-13-2014 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics