Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

I would like some advice regarding my situation. I am moving to a new city and will need new phone service. Right now I have an inexpensive cell phone system at $25.00 a month, I-Wireless, from Kroger. It just makes phone calls; no camera and I could get on the Internet but I don't. Nor do I text. I hardly use it, in fact in the three years I have had it, I have accumulated 4,000 minutes. I also have land line I use occasionally. I am just not big on phones.

So my question is, in my new city, should I just ditch the landline and go for a cell phone only or continue with a cheapo cell and a good reliable landline as I have been doing? One thing I don't like about using a cellphone as my only means of communication is that everytime I talk to someone on theirs, the reception never seems to be as good as a landline. But on the other hand, consolidating service might make more sense.

I am just not sure what the best way to go would be. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I'm not sure why anyone has a landline today, a cell phone does everything you want and it is always right with you. But you are right about the clarity, some cell phones sound like you are in an echo chamber.

I have a Metro PCS cell phone plan that is $25 a month with unlimited calling, but not sure if they offer that plan any more.

Don

Old 05-16-2014, 08:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
That's the trouble with a cheapo cell phone, better to go with better quality if you are going to rely on it as the only phone. Around here very few people still have a land line, it just isn't needed any more and they attract telemarketers (do not call list or not), charity solicitors, political calls and surveys. Some carriers offer good devices free or cheap but you have to get a data plan. For example my Droid Ultra with 5" screen was free. I didn't think I needed a smartphone, but when I got my first one it only took a month or so to wonder why I hadn't done it before. Being able to look up things on the internet from anywhere, use it as a GPS navigation system in the car, and a music player and more.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone has a landline today,...
Some people don't have cell coverage, I have an extender at my house which uses the internet. It's the only way a cell phone will work at my house but I don't use it for own phone because I don't have one. For $20 a month I have unlimited everything with VOIP, don;t really care I can't take it with me. Actually like it that way.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM

I should probably mention that I am moving to the Cleveland area, Cleveland Heights to be exact. I'll see what's being offered there regarding local service. I didn't have cell coverage in Portland until about three years ago because I did find I needed it occasionally. I don't drive so unless I want to know where the bus is, I really don't need GPS. A music player is kind of wasted on me because I have hearing aides and I don't like listening to music when I'm out and about anyway. Maybe it's a generational thing because I am 68 although I know plenty of old geezers who love all that technology. I do love my email and Internet but I can wait to get home to use it.

The only times I ever needed to take a phone with me was to call a cab or let someone know I would be delayed. And pay phones are pretty much things of the past. I just don't need all the great features phones come with these days. I am not a total Luddite, my next TV will be a smart one to replace my aging analog with a digital converter box and my old decrepit desktop computer will soon be replaced by a nice new laptop. Being retired and on a fixed income, I have to watch the budget. So while I really appreciate and admire all the latest technology, I am looking for what will work for me both cost wise and for efficiency.

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone, I am going to make a decision soon.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:57 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Do you know anyone in Cleveland Heights? Ask them who their cell carrier is and how their signal strength is. Also ask their advice on which phone works best for calls in that area. As far as a budget, maybe there is a "pay as you go" cell phone program that will work well for your needs, once you establish it has reliable cell phones with decent call clarity.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Do you know anyone in Cleveland Heights? Ask them who their cell carrier is and how their signal strength is. Also ask their advice on which phone works best for calls in that area. As far as a budget, maybe there is a "pay as you go" cell phone program that will work well for your needs, once you establish it has reliable cell phones with decent call clarity.
Yes, I know one person who lives in CH. She uses AT&T for her land line but I don't know what she uses for her cell phone service. I asked on the Cleveland forum and got some good opinions as to what services were available. I think I am leaning towards just using a cell phone service for both but I was interested in people's opinions in general on the subject. I tried a pay as you go plan one time but it didn't work out too well for me but that could have been the carrier I was going through so I am not ruling it out.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am looking for what will work for me both cost wise and for efficiency.
Check out VOIP either through your internet provider or independent. Like I said I pay $20 a month but it's probably closer to $30 because I forgot about the $7 VOIP modem charge and there is a few taxes and fees. I get all the bells and whistles (caller ID etc) and I can call anywhere in the US unlimited.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Check out VOIP either through your internet provider or independent. Like I said I pay $20 a month but it's probably closer to $30 because I forgot about the $7 VOIP modem charge and there is a few taxes and fees. I get all the bells and whistles (caller ID etc) and I can call anywhere in the US unlimited.
That sounds good to me. One thing I will need though is the ability to call Canada fairly often. Some phone services don't have this feature or they charge extra. I will definitely will check it out after I move.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:58 PM

Hmmmmmm, I stand corrected here. I was just looking at my bill. They used to itemize it and I can swear it was $20 but they are now just listing the phone as bundled with internet and cable. They have two plans, the $20 plan doesn't include long distance. It's like $40 for unlimited and that includes Canada.

My total is $153 a month for phone, internet and cable which includes 2 HD boxes and the starz package, it should be more but every time they jack it up I call and complain and they lower it.

Check out other offers form third parties like Vonage

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-16-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics