Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:54 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times

Advertisements

Be aware that not all new receivers have a 'phono in' jack. [and a few other old tech jacks have been deleted] There are only 4 receiver makers that furnish a 'phono in' and the prices start at $500 If you purchase a turntable with a pre-amp, it must be compatible with the receiver you will be using that doesn't have a phono in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:47 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
Yes, I learned this today. I need a amp OR receiver, correct? (I was confusing amp with pre-amp).

So, I could go record player, amp, passive speakers, correct?
I still use my 1992 Pioneer SX-201 Receiver that comes with a Phono Pre-Amp. I have my turntable plugged directly into it (RCA cables) and it still sounds good with Cerwin Vega bookshelf speakers. Also got my TV plugged into it in case I want quality audio from it.

Send the output from the receiver to the computer to record my LPs, TV, or whatever.

Also here...

Last edited by DRob4JC; 06-06-2014 at 02:55 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 10:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,647,905 times
Default stick with cd's

stick with cd's, unless you plan on spending thousands on a decent TT/ cartridge and some type of preamp you'll be disappointed. the fact that you think $50 will but you a pair of speakers shows you have no idea about hifi equipment.also analog isnt digital, you have to be very carefull where you place the TT and records need an enormous amount of maintenance.stick with cd's!!

Old 06-15-2014, 05:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
stick with cd's, unless you plan on spending thousands on a decent TT/ cartridge and some type of preamp you'll be disappointed. the fact that you think $50 will but you a pair of speakers shows you have no idea about hifi equipment.also analog isnt digital, you have to be very carefull where you place the TT and records need an enormous amount of maintenance.stick with cd's!!
Actually, even CDs are on their way to being outdated. What's a CD anyway, except a way to store digital files?
Why not look into storing music on your computer? That would mean an amplifier that would contain a DAC (digital to analog converter). Peachtree makes some nice ones. Anyway, you store all the music files on your computer, plug it into the amplifier, and plug the speakers into the amplifier as well. You'd have a nice system.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:56 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something
Hello -
I'm new to record players, but I love the sound of them and am looking to invest in my first player.
Welcome to the wonderful world of ANALOG!!!!!! (Yes its beautiful)

I dunno if your a member on AK or not but if not,you might wanna join us there also,specifically on the TURNTABLE message base

www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Enjoy -- You will love your player!!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I disagree that LPs can't be enjoyed without spending thousands. $400-$500 will buy a very nice simple belt drive with a MM cartridge. The same amplification that would sound good with CDs will sound good with analog. An older integrated amp or receiver will have a phono input.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 PM

It will sound BETTER with analog!! - MUCHO BETTER!!!!!!

I think my player might need a new cartridge,I dunno.........

How can you tell if your cartidge is bad,anyone know??? (Sounds of the music,etc)

Old 06-17-2014, 06:02 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
It will sound BETTER with analog!! - MUCHO BETTER!!!!!!

I think my player might need a new cartridge,I dunno.........

How can you tell if your cartidge is bad,anyone know??? (Sounds of the music,etc)
Cartridges don't generally go bad, but it's stylus (needle) wears. You need a stylus microscope to inspect a stylus for wear.

I haven't owned a turntable for many years, but back in the day high end audio stores would check your stylus at no charge. I ended up buying my own little microscope....did the job and wasn't very expensive.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:45 PM

Thank you buddy.......... I think I was given a cheap made needle! ($20)

Doesnt play 78s well at all!!!!!!! -- IN FACT,I CAN PLAY 33s,45s with the needle marked for 78!!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:57 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thank you buddy.......... I think I was given a cheap made needle! ($20)

Doesnt play 78s well at all!!!!!!! -- IN FACT,I CAN PLAY 33s,45s with the needle marked for 78!!
78s have much wider grooves and need a different stylus. Sounds like your needle is mis-marked or some such confusion.

Where did you get 78s? They were well on their way out over 50 years ago. I had 78s as a kid in the 50s, but not since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics