U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2007, 12:59 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 59,176,344 times
Reputation: 14957

Advertisements

I have not used a land line in 7 years and it drive me crazy when I am filling out application and they look at my cell phone number is same as home number and ask do you not have a home phone? urgh

I see music CD'S to be next to go then a little bit longer DVD's
Probably within next 10 years film cameras will be a part of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2007, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,562 posts, read 16,562,215 times
Reputation: 5116
Whats film ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Western Bexar County
3,823 posts, read 13,477,308 times
Reputation: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I cut my land line about 8 months ago and use cable for my Internet.

More and more people (and not just age 30 on down) have just cell phones these days.
Same here. I wanted to make my line unlisted and at&t wanted to charge me 10 dollars a month. So, I told them go with Plan B...terminate my service. I'm definitely over 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 37,803,913 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I have not used a land line in 7 years and it drive me crazy when I am filling out application and they look at my cell phone number is same as home number and ask do you not have a home phone? urgh

I see music CD'S to be next to go then a little bit longer DVD's
Probably within next 10 years film cameras will be a part of history.
You may be correct re: both CD's and DVD's; they will likely still have a hard core following much like certain fans still like vinyl LP's.

I am still not MP3/iPOD friendy------gimme my 25 YO technology

In fact: as of late, I am seeing more and more record players being sold with CD players built in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 08:14 PM
 
69,370 posts, read 56,334,031 times
Reputation: 9369
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The Past- dying or dead:
5. Independent VOIP providers. Questionable future with cable and telcos offering service bundled with other things like DSL and broadband. Why would I pay Vonage $35 a month for something I can get with my cable for $25?
I'll do you one better, I'm messing with a system here, that for $1.75 a month, I pay for a phone number, and I get to plug a phone into my computer, and no phone bills. I can call nation wide, without getting a monthly bill. Sent and received faxes with it to, so far no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 21,620,553 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Same here. I wanted to make my line unlisted and at&t wanted to charge me 10 dollars a month. So, I told them go with Plan B...terminate my service. I'm definitely over 30.
You don't have to do that. The best way to get rid of pest is to keep your number listed and then, for $2.50, we have a "ringdown" number that rings twice instead of once when the number is called. Only our main number is listed or ever appears on any Caller ID. The ringdown number is our "family and friends" number that we answer when it rings. The main number we just let go to voicemail which I check once every few days or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Tucson AZ & Leipzig, Germany
2,622 posts, read 7,925,692 times
Reputation: 4262
I've worked in the telecom biz for the last 30 years or so and oh what changes I've seen. I still have some affection for the good old "landline" based PSTN (public switched telephone network). One thing to keep in mind if ditching your landline is that if you call 911 from a cell phone, your name and home address will not display to the 911 operator. After all, the cell phone is a mobile phone, they have no clue as to where you are at that moment. This is something to keep in mind if you have kiddies at home or in some emergency where you can't talk much. There is a push to figure out how to get every cell phone to send a GPS coordinate to a 911 center when a call goes threw, but that's a ways off.
The "landlines" will not completely disappear for perhaps decades. The voice transmission quality is much better than existing cell phone networks, businesses (who are the main revenue source for most big telcos) will continue to use landlines of some kind via the rapid evolution from circuit switched to packet switched networks that use Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) to carry around the bits of digitized voice from point A to point B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 21,620,553 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've worked in the telecom biz for the last 30 years or so and oh what changes I've seen. I still have some affection for the good old "landline" based PSTN (public switched telephone network). One thing to keep in mind if ditching your landline is that if you call 911 from a cell phone, your name and home address will not display to the 911 operator. After all, the cell phone is a mobile phone, they have no clue as to where you are at that moment. This is something to keep in mind if you have kiddies at home or in some emergency where you can't talk much. There is a push to figure out how to get every cell phone to send a GPS coordinate to a 911 center when a call goes threw, but that's a ways off.
The "landlines" will not completely disappear for perhaps decades. The voice transmission quality is much better than existing cell phone networks, businesses (who are the main revenue source for most big telcos) will continue to use landlines of some kind via the rapid evolution from circuit switched to packet switched networks that use Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) to carry around the bits of digitized voice from point A to point B.
Did you know that lots of businesses now use VOIP? There are companies here in Atlanta like Cbeyond that are making a killing providing VOIP to businesses. They put everything- voice, internet- all on a single T1 that they lease from the phone company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 10:29 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 23,007,378 times
Reputation: 9287
I got rid of my landline a couple of months ago and haven't missed it a bit. I even forgot I had done so and tried to send a fax recently...took me a bit to realize why it wasn't going though. I'll have to look in to e-fax.

I have fond memories of the pranks we would play when phones were hard-wired into the wall. Calling and telling folks that we were the telephone company and were going to feed more line into their house. Got them to wrap the cord around their hand and pull when we gave the go ahead....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Tucson AZ & Leipzig, Germany
2,622 posts, read 7,925,692 times
Reputation: 4262
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Did you know that lots of businesses now use VOIP? There are companies here in Atlanta like Cbeyond that are making a killing providing VOIP to businesses. They put everything- voice, internet- all on a single T1 that they lease from the phone company.
Yes, of course, and I generally consider VOIP over carrier T1 or ethernet in the realm of "landline technology", meaning transport over terrestrial copper or fiber cables as opposed to cellular frequencies. That is packet switched phone service that can be combined with data transmission in the same transport circuit. I think the traditional "circuit switched" telephone switch technology does have it's "end of life" within view. Many telcos no longer are buying new "circuit switch" equipment for growth, they are installing new packet switched technology instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top