U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:52 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,682,410 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated to Arizona from Cleveland. I did not have a land line installed-just my cell. And I am about 10 years over 30 (lol!).

I work in a bank. Before we make a loan to someone, we must run them thru some database stuff to comply with all the carp imposed by the Patriot Act and to make sure they are not committing identity theft. Well and good. System designed by a bunch of old backward guys in Washington apparently tho---->you cannot run a cell number, must be a land line which must match their home address. We are frequently having to document "exceptions" for the folks who only have cell service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 06:34 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,791,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I recently relocated to Arizona from Cleveland. I did not have a land line installed-just my cell. And I am about 10 years over 30 (lol!).

I work in a bank. Before we make a loan to someone, we must run them thru some database stuff to comply with all the carp imposed by the Patriot Act and to make sure they are not committing identity theft. Well and good. System designed by a bunch of old backward guys in Washington apparently tho---->you cannot run a cell number, must be a land line which must match their home address. We are frequently having to document "exceptions" for the folks who only have cell service.
Being a Wash DC native; I tend to agree with the ineptitude of that particular city

Like you I am well N of age 30 as well and dropped my landline this past spring as well.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:02 PM

2,338 posts, read 7,073,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've worked in the telecom biz for the last 30 years or so and oh what changes I've seen. I still have some affection for the good old "landline" based PSTN (public switched telephone network). One thing to keep in mind if ditching your landline is that if you call 911 from a cell phone, your name and home address will not display to the 911 operator. After all, the cell phone is a mobile phone, they have no clue as to where you are at that moment. This is something to keep in mind if you have kiddies at home or in some emergency where you can't talk much. There is a push to figure out how to get every cell phone to send a GPS coordinate to a 911 center when a call goes threw, but that's a ways off.
That's interesting; for some reason, I thought they already had it figured out to get your cell's location via GPS.

One thing that is interesting with dialing 911 on a cellphone (well this happened on my Sprint cellphone when I had to call 911 in Ft. Lauderdale, FL) is that they block your cellphone so that it can only receive emergency personnel phone calls. During the emergency, I didn't notice this. It was the following morning (I had to call 911 pretty late at night...like 12:30 a.m. or something), my phone had a message on it that said "can receive emergency calls only -- press 4 to unlock"...or something like that. I thought that was a good idea.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
That's interesting; for some reason, I thought they already had it figured out to get your cell's location via GPS.

One thing that is interesting with dialing 911 on a cellphone (well this happened on my Sprint cellphone when I had to call 911 in Ft. Lauderdale, FL) is that they block your cellphone so that it can only receive emergency personnel phone calls. During the emergency, I didn't notice this. It was the following morning (I had to call 911 pretty late at night...like 12:30 a.m. or something), my phone had a message on it that said "can receive emergency calls only -- press 4 to unlock"...or something like that. I thought that was a good idea.
Mine has a feature similar to that.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:47 PM

357 posts, read 821,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I cant see landlines dieing off in my time. Cell phone networks can still get maxed out like they did in Ireland during 2k when everybody used the phone at the same time.

It is hard for Gen Y'ers to even imagine using the landline phone. I know I don't plan on having one when I move into my new apartment, and my parents (who are slow to adapt to any change) are considering disconnecting theirs.

That one stands out as the most likely to occur within the next 15 years IMO.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:02 AM

69,370 posts, read 56,307,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'll do you one better, I'm messing with a system here, that for $1.75 a month, I pay for a phone number, and I get to plug a phone into my computer, and no phone bills. I can call nation wide, without getting a monthly bill. Sent and received faxes with it to, so far no problem.
Ok, I've tested this for a week, surprised at the fact that it works. It even worked with sending a fax. Might be worth a shot if people are looking at new technology. I can picture people who are in hotels a lot using one of these because its free phone calls from your hotels, and from home. $20 a year is a GREAT price for nation wide calls FOR THE YEAR.

http://www.magicjack.com/site/index.html

Here is another forum with others stating what I have stated. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r187...-Use-MagicJack

Old 12-23-2007, 10:53 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,610,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I got rid of my landline a couple of months ago and haven't missed it a bit. I even forgot I had done so and tried to send a fax recently...took me a bit to realize why it wasn't going though. I'll have to look in to e-fax.

I have fond memories of the pranks we would play when phones were hard-wired into the wall. Calling and telling folks that we were the telephone company and were going to feed more line into their house. Got them to wrap the cord around their hand and pull when we gave the go ahead....
Do you remember calling up the store and asking them if they had Prince Albert in a can?

Old 12-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Do you remember calling up the store and asking them if they had Prince Albert in a can?
How about back ca. 1971 calling the local record store and asking the clerk if he had Hot Rocks? It was the new release from the Rolling Stones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics