U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:00 PM

357 posts, read 821,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Sometimes, new optimized technologies can break more quickly and that is the sense I'm getting here.

I hope that's not what we're putting across in our messages. The major appliance companies generally have few quality problems, and you can expect your investment to last for a long while. Now what is true is that the technologies being released now are evolving extremely rapidly. Today's HD capabilities may fall to the wayside by next year. This is true of everything in the tech world, though, and at some point you have to be content with what is available now and pull the trigger. Risk vs. reward, I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 AM

35 posts, read 102,083 times
I have had an HD Television for about a year now. It's awesome. It's like comparing AM radio to XM radio. AM sucks. As does regular tv. Give it a try.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:21 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,243,427 times
I don't know why people think HDTVs cost so much. Mine cost $450 and I got it at Circuit City. It's not a Sony or Samsung, but it's a perfectly serviceable second-tier brand. I don't think $450 is much to pay for a television, but then again I've been in the UK where everything is insanely expensive. My ex and I paid $400 for a 27" widescreen non-HDTV...the cheapest, crappiest TV we could find.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,742,389 times
Smile *

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK
I have been looking at the same NTSC TV picture for almost 50 years now- even before it was in colour or cable was ever heard of. And it looks fine to me.
Same with me!!

I love my CRT .. Best thing ever made!!!

I have a small screen,about 16" but its fine..... I DONT WANT HD CRAP or a BIG SCREEN that stretches things out and dont look as good as a result,etc............

Old 03-31-2015, 05:19 AM

35,124 posts, read 42,559,281 times
Much has changed since this topic was started 8 years ago.like buying a new CRT tv is impossible,they dont make em anymore.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,418,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Same with me!!

I love my CRT .. Best thing ever made!!!

I have a small screen,about 16" but its fine..... I DONT WANT HD CRAP or a BIG SCREEN that stretches things out and dont look as good as a result,etc............
If the content is originally shot in HD, it's going to look fantastic on an HDTV. There's just no comparison. Now, content that was shot before high definition depends upon a lot of factors. For instance, most "box office" movies shot in the late 70's, 80's, and 90's were shot in a very high resolution - certainly so that they looked good in the movie theaters. But, a lot of them were able to be remastered - some even remastered for 4K. Their Blu-Ray versions look fantastic on an HDTV. For instance, I have the movie Twister on both DVD and Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray version looks so much better than the DVD version. In fact, you wouldn't even know that the movie came out in the late 90's.

However, when it comes to 30 year old content that was not shot in a very high resolution, for instance, some of the old 80's sitcoms like the Cosby Show, or Night Court, wasn't shot with in a high resolution, and so there wasn't really a way to remaster those shows for High Def. I have been watching Night Court on my HDTV, and while I love the show, the picture quality is horrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics