Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I'll bet your phonograph records sound fine on your wind up Victrola.
No need to buy CDs.
That is not true. CDs and MP3s are better sounding and take up much less physical space. Records cannot be played in a portable player or a vehicle. And I have a satellite radio too! I am not opposed to new things. I just do not see what I will gain from HDTV that I am not enjoying now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM

278 posts, read 910,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I just do not see what I will gain from HDTV that I am not enjoying now.
I feel pretty much the same way. My 15 year old got a 32" HDTV for Christmas and it does have a great picture, but I'm still just as happy with the regular TV I have in my bedroom.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 PM

520 posts, read 1,853,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
I feel pretty much the same way. My 15 year old got a 32" HDTV for Christmas and it does have a great picture, but I'm still just as happy with the regular TV I have in my bedroom.
Maybe you and KevK need glasses.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:24 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
When I got my HDTV I could actually read the credits at the end of movies.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:38 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Yes, they look good and I won't say never ever will I not buy one but I am not chomping at the bit to buy one. I have been looking at the same NTSC TV picture for almost 50 years now- even before it was in colour or cable was ever heard of. And it looks fine to me. I don't need it to look any better. I keep hearing about these converters that will allow me to keep my regular TV sets after the regular TV transmitters are shut off in a year but I have yet to see any in a store.
We don't watch enough TV to justify it.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:48 AM

243 posts, read 703,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The free over the air TV channels will transmit digital video signals beginning in 2009. One can have paid TV (cable), most of which are digital,
Her acctuly evrything is digital i dident think about that. coz i have sattelite for a long time.

but just readed that we got just about ful digital cover here now.

And air chanels is also full digital. i now read.

And apperantly they gona start on free air 720P and 1080i Mpeg-4 HD in 1 or two years.

And i also notice that cabels and satelite channels offer full HD sendings.
So that meens i am closer to need a t full HD tv than i was aware of.

TJ..

Old 12-27-2007, 06:38 AM

262 posts, read 299,856 times
i just got a hdtv a few months ago and i dont know how i ever went without it

Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 AM

288 posts, read 1,554,973 times
I'll keep my 1980s Magnavox until it croaks. I have other priorities as of now.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,385 times
Quote:
Yes, they look good and I won't say never ever will I not buy one but I am not chomping at the bit to buy one. I have been looking at the same NTSC TV picture for almost 50 years now- even before it was in colour or cable was ever heard of. And it looks fine to me. I don't need it to look any better. I keep hearing about these converters that will allow me to keep my regular TV sets after the regular TV transmitters are shut off in a year but I have yet to see any in a store.
I've never been one to go for big, new tv's. However, I recently moved and had to leave behind the tv, so I bought a 19 inch hdtv with a coupon, so it wasn't *that* expensive: around $350 with a built in dvd player. (The prices seem to pop beyond 19 inch). I have nothing good or bad to say - I did have to send one back because it broke and was sent a replacement very quickly. Sometimes, new optimized technologies can break more quickly and that is the sense I'm getting here.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
I have 0 plans to buy a HDTV. They are way too expensive. And the cheaper ones, even ones ive seen for $1500 have too much pixelation around the edges of things on the screen so its no way worth it IMO for me. Ill buy a beer instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics