U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:40 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,620,553 times

Advertisements

Yes, they look good and I won't say never ever will I not buy one but I am not chomping at the bit to buy one. I have been looking at the same NTSC TV picture for almost 50 years now- even before it was in colour or cable was ever heard of. And it looks fine to me. I don't need it to look any better. I keep hearing about these converters that will allow me to keep my regular TV sets after the regular TV transmitters are shut off in a year but I have yet to see any in a store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 09:44 PM

520 posts, read 1,727,659 times
I've had one for 3 years. It is definitely worth it. Watching regular tv is like using dialup. It sucks!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yes, they look good and I won't say never ever will I not buy one but I am not chomping at the bit to buy one. I have been looking at the same NTSC TV picture for almost 50 years now- even before it was in colour or cable was ever heard of. And it looks fine to me. I don't need it to look any better. I keep hearing about these converters that will allow me to keep my regular TV sets after the regular TV transmitters are shut off in a year but I have yet to see any in a store.
According to the news, the Fed. Government will issue a $45.00 credit per household to anybody who needs to buy a digital tuner (converter) to continue using his or hers analog TV, but depending on how good the TV is, you won't see very much difference in signal quality. If you don't use the converter, then the digital signal won't show on your TV. That's all there is to it. You don't have to buy an HD TV, but the digital signal on an HD TV is very nice when compared to an analog signal.

Radio signals (AM/FM) will also go digital in 2020 or so, although SIRIUS and XM are already transmitting digital to their subscribers.

Now, an analog signal such as the ones you get free (on the air) looks pretty bad on a HD TV. Folks who don't have cable (like me), can still buy a HD TV today, and watch DVD movies played on a DVD player with video up-converting via HDMI. The new HD TV's have at least one HDMI input on the back. A HDMI cable is connected from the DVD player to the TV, and the DVD you play on the DVD player "ups" the video signal to 1080i (or so) digital, offering amazing clarity.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Only after the "old" TV I have now dies. We have better things to spend money on.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:28 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,620,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Only after the "old" TV I have now dies. We have better things to spend money on.
I might in a few years if they are more reasonable on the prices or I can get a good used one at a pawn shop or garage sale. I am in no hurry.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:52 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times
Quote:
I might in a few years if they are more reasonable on the prices or I can get a good used one at a pawn shop or garage sale. I am in no hurry.
As TV sales increases and demand decreases, the price comes down quite a lot. For example, LCD and plasma TV's that cost $1,500 last December had come down 25 to 30% by the Spring. Also, as new models replace the previous year's models, the price around this time of the year for the older ones drops quite a lot. Last years' $1,500 HD TV costs around $1,000 this week.

The best picture quality, is not from flat-screen plasma nor LCD HD TV's, but from high resolution rear projection TV's. These are much cheaper too, but are much heavier and bulkier, and a lot of people have no idea that such TV's exist. Folks who still have such TV's around their homes only need the box/tuner from the cable company, and those who don't have cable only need a digital tuner.

All the new TV's produced this year must have a tuner built in. The tuner allows the TV to show any free off the air digital video signal, and the only thing that's needed is a VHF/UAF roof antenna connected to the TV.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:39 PM

357 posts, read 822,132 times
Quote:
Yes, they look good and I won't say never ever will I not buy one but I am not chomping at the bit to buy one. I have been looking at the same NTSC TV picture for almost 50 years now- even before it was in colour or cable was ever heard of. And it looks fine to me.

I'm a technophile, so I can't NOT buy new technology when it comes out, but HDTV stands out as a truly good purchase (I won't say investment, because technology changes too quickly to be a solid investment)!! The picture quality is so spectacular, I can't go back to watching a non-HD sporting event or television program!!!

My favorites are golf and basketball in HD. When you can see the dimples on the ball from a far shot, it really puts things in perspective.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:58 AM

69,370 posts, read 56,334,031 times
Quote:
It all depends.. if your current tv dies, I wouldnt look at anything other then HDTV.. but I wouldnt be rushing out to buy one for the sake of keeping up with the neighbors.. (although my neighbors are jelous of my 64 inch one.. only bought it when my last tv died)

Old 12-23-2007, 10:33 AM

231 posts, read 646,734 times
I understand that HD tv is supported in US.

Her we stil are mostly suported to PAL. (europen vertion of NTSC)
Some HD suported Channels. But mostly HD tv' need Blueray or HD-DVD here. (or PC)

So i will not change my CRT to an LCD/Plasma HD tv for long yet.
Ive even seen socalled HD-ready tv's that acctuly got worse picture than my CRT from Loewe. Gues that coz HD is notfully suported.

If u have full HD suport. why stick to NTSC?
Tho if u dont have full HD suport. wai until ur favorit channel got HD support.

TJ..

Old 12-24-2007, 11:06 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,622,290 times
Quote:
yes, you will have the option to use a converter. If NTSC is that important to you, I say keep it. I made the HD jump back in 2000 and I can't look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics