U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:21 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That all depends on the size of your bedroom, I have a 20 in mine and don't find it small at all, have a Vizio 32 in the living room and am very happy with it.
I have a small living room, perhaps of a size around 20' wide x 40' long. The sofa is approximately 15' from a 32" Sony Bravia LCD TV, and the picture is just perfect. I have been told numerous times that one should sit closer to the TV to get a better picture, or to buy a larger TV. That may be true, but my wife and I, plus my sons like this TV size, and think it's huge

I believe that a good quality TV makes a big difference. Also, there are electronic units one can use to properly adjust the TV settings for optimum signal quality, but are expensive. However, one can buy a DVD that is designed to adjust the TV settings for the best image possible. This DVD costs around $18.00, and Crutchfield, as well as other companies, has it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 12:32 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,572,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
So we're moving to Loveland later this week and not taking our TV with us.

Any recommendations on brands? Other than "Sony is really good". Probably going to go with a flat screen LCD 30" +/-. After the shell shock of moving has passed we'll probably make this one the bedroom TV and get something else for the den.

Is there much difference visually between a 720 and a 1080?

Any particular brands to avoid?

I figure next week right after Christmas is a good time to buy, end of year sales and retailers trying to recover from a not great Christmas season.

Thanks in advance for your help.

golfgod
I don't know if you bought your TV but I just ordered mine.

There really is not much perceptible difference. Your 'output' (the picture) is dependent upon your input (Cable TV = 720 P or 1080i ; Playstation 3 or BluRay= 1080 P).

Your brand depends upon your budget for how much to spend and how much you can afford to spend on repairs (on lower budgets). Vizio is a 'disposable' since it will cost you as much as buying a new one if you have to repair it.

PLASMA high end: Panasonic, Pioneer
LCD High end: Sharp, Samsung, Sony

If you just moved, the middle range/tier are better options for a restricted budget.

I am happy I am done looking around, reading reviews, etc. I hate buying things since I research to the point of exhaustion. I did the same when I was researching pets (from Sugar Gliders to puppy store dogs to our rescue dog).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics