U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:25 AM

3,553 posts, read 7,000,874 times

Advertisements

So we're moving to Loveland later this week and not taking our TV with us.

Any recommendations on brands? Other than "Sony is really good". Probably going to go with a flat screen LCD 30" +/-. After the shell shock of moving has passed we'll probably make this one the bedroom TV and get something else for the den.

Is there much difference visually between a 720 and a 1080?

Any particular brands to avoid?

I figure next week right after Christmas is a good time to buy, end of year sales and retailers trying to recover from a not great Christmas season.

Thanks in advance for your help.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 AM

26,345 posts, read 83,944,638 times
Check out CNET. Also, there are forums (like City-Data) for everything. There are very few resources out there for learning about things that are better than forums. Plumbing, cars, personal finance, electronics, etc....so much excellent information.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:33 AM

4,390 posts, read 4,274,733 times
Best forum for TVs etc. would be www.avsforum.com click on forums upper left hand side. You will find an on going discussion on just about all makes and models.

Last edited by ted08721; 12-23-2007 at 08:21 AM..

Old 12-23-2007, 07:56 AM

You would have to sit about five feet from a 50 inch 1080 set to see the full difference between 720 and 1080. I would stick with the name brands. If money is tight then go for second tier sets as such Vizio etc. A 30 inch widescreen is kind of small even for the bedroom, and often lack some of the basics many people would want such as a built in cable TV tuner. If you can afford a few hundred more go for a 40 inch set for the bedroom,you won't regret it. Per inch widescreens are really smaller then regular sets. A regular tube ratio 4:3 30 inch set will give you 432.56 sq. inches of image, 30 inch wide screen 16:9 ratio only 287.04 sq. inches of image.

Last edited by ted08721; 12-23-2007 at 08:33 AM..

Old 12-23-2007, 08:27 AM

http://www.tvcalculator.com/

Old 12-23-2007, 09:18 AM

14 posts, read 86,540 times
Obviously if you find a 1080p set in your price range, get it. But between two otherwise equal sets choose the lower priced one, presumably 720p. To help decide this factor, consider is your intended viewing medium:

HD Television programs will never be 1080p. 720p provides more than adequate image quality and 1080p is too bandwidth intensive for the networks and providers. Some networks and providers may even go lower than 720 in 2009 when analog is retired. If TV is your primary medium, don't worry about 1080p at all.

Where 1080p could matter is with high definition DVD's in Blu-Ray or HD-DVD format. If you are planning to view those disks technically the 720p display will lose some of the detail BUT as other posters pointed out, in normal situations it's not noticeable.

I have a new 50" 720p Panasonic (woke up early on Black Friday and got the deal at Ultimate Electronics) and after almost a month no traces of buyers remorse or 1080p envy have emerged. Coming from someone who barely suppresses his audiophile/videophile tendency, that's saying a lot.

Another thought: The 2008 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) starts January 7 and all of the manufacturers will formally announce and release their new products that week. Just about everything in stores today is out of production so you may see "Closeout!" sales starting around then. However, that year-end sale at Sears (for example) may have price matching + multiple cascading discounts, etc. Monitor the deal forums, AVSforum, etc., and you may be able to find a very sweet deal.

Last edited by torrential; 12-23-2007 at 10:26 AM..

Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times
Right now it's the best time to buy a top brand HD TV on sale, plus full delivery from some dealers, or right at the end of Christmas sales.

Panasonic makes great Plasma TV's. Sony and a couple of others make good LCD TV's. Every person has a different opinion on what is best for you.

Just keep in mind that unless you have digital cable, or unless some of the free over the air TV channels are transmitting digitally, the picture on the brand new HD DVD won't look any batter than a low-quality analog TV.

Sooo, any digital TV signal that reaches your TV will look great, be it the free over the air signals picked by a roof antenna, or the digital cable signals. Not all cable signals are HD, however.

I don't have cable, and only a couple of TV stations are transmitting digital signals where I live. However, while I wait for Blue Ray and HD DVD to stop arguing with each other, I bought a fairly cheap DVD player with video up-converting via HDMI. I connected the HD TV and the DVD player to each other with a HDMI cable, so any standard DVD movie I play on the DVD player reaches the TV as a 1080i signal. It looks nice and sharp on the TV.

And yes, there is a big difference between 1080 and 720 signals. All you have to do to see it for yourself is as follows: play an up-converted (1080i) signal (a DVD movie) via the HDMI cable and see how it looks, then turn the equipment off, and replace the HDMI cable with a set of Component cables. Play the DVD movie again, and see the difference.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrential View Post
Obviously if you find a 1080p set in your price range, get it. But between two otherwise equal sets choose the lower priced one, presumably 720p. To help decide this factor, consider is your intended viewing medium:

HD Television programs will never be 1080p. 720p provides more than adequate image quality and 1080p is too bandwidth intensive for the networks and providers. Some networks and providers may even go lower than 720 in 2009 when analog is retired. If TV is your primary medium, don't worry about 1080p at all.

Where 1080p could matter is with high definition DVD's in Blu-Ray or HD-DVD format. If you are planning to view those disks technically the 720p display will lose some of the detail BUT as other posters pointed out, in normal situations it's not noticeable.

I have a new 50" 720p Panasonic (woke up early on Black Friday and got the deal at Ultimate Electronics) and after almost a month no traces of buyers remorse or 1080p envy have emerged. Coming from someone who barely suppresses his audiophile/videophile tendency, that's saying a lot.

Another thought: The 2008 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) starts January 7 and all of the manufacturers will formally announce and release their new products that week. Just about everything in stores today is out of production so you may see "Closeout!" sales starting around then. However, that year-end sale at Sears (for example) may have price matching + multiple cascading discounts, etc. Monitor the deal forums, AVSforum, etc., and you may be able to find a very sweet deal.
Congrats on your new set

Old 12-23-2007, 05:27 PM

I have an HD dvd player, top of the line, it has the good video processor. It makes HD and upconverted 480 both look excellent on my 720p set. It is true about some cable and satellite signals are so compressed they will not be as good as discs. Anolog signals tend to suck on a digital HD set, some do better then others. It all comes down to the video processor chip, is it a cheap chip or a good chip. A TV set or DVD player with a better video processing chip will be more expensive then one with a cheap video processing chip.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:57 PM

10,756 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
You would have to sit about five feet from a 50 inch 1080 set to see the full difference between 720 and 1080. I would stick with the name brands. If money is tight then go for second tier sets as such Vizio etc. A 30 inch widescreen is kind of small even for the bedroom, and often lack some of the basics many people would want such as a built in cable TV tuner.
That all depends on the size of your bedroom, I have a 20 in mine and don't find it small at all, have a Vizio 32 in the living room and am very happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics