U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:11 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,854,586 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a high quality pair of headphones for listing to CDs and DVDs. I want the on-the-ear type as opposed to over-the-ear. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 01:36 AM

1,677 posts, read 5,905,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I'm looking for a high quality pair of headphones for listing to CDs and DVDs. I want the on-the-ear type as opposed to over-the-ear. Any recommendations?
Are you refering to the small ones that rest on the ears and not the ones that completely envelop the ear to block out outside noise?

Headsphones are really a personal preference.
I have had very good luck with Koss. Both the old style headphones and the smaller earbuds.
I use the earbuds in my walkman. Better base response for 20 instead of other brands I have tried like Sony, and Jvc. for 30.

Over the ear also depend on how you tend to wear them, while sitting or jogging. What is going to stay in place.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:52 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,854,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Are you refering to the small ones that rest on the ears and not the ones that completely envelop the ear to block out outside noise?

Headsphones are really a personal preference.
I have had very good luck with Koss. Both the old style headphones and the smaller earbuds.
I use the earbuds in my walkman. Better base response for 20 instead of other brands I have tried like Sony, and Jvc. for 30.

Over the ear also depend on how you tend to wear them, while sitting or jogging. What is going to stay in place.
The kind that just rest on the ear. The ear surface is flat, no ear cup. I think that type is referred to as "supra-aural". I would just use them while at my PC to watch DVDs and play CDs.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,617,908 times
I like the way that some headphones say "Digital Headphones" on the package. That is stupid as hell. There is no such thing as a digital headphone because the human brain cannot do a digital to analogue conversion. Therefore the headphone much be analogue- unless your idea is to listen to modem noise through it!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,667,221 times
I have a pair of Sennheiser PX100 headphones. Thay have a really good sound. Koss is not too bad either for the price.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:21 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,742,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I love my classic Sony MDR-V6 headphones, but they're over-the-ear phones.

I'd still recommend them, though.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 PM

432 posts, read 1,464,077 times
Default Questions about headphones!

1.I don't know why,but sometimes I am listening to a song on my headphones. I swear that I hear something different on both ears,but why is that? For example,I hear drums for a bit on one ear,but I see a different instrument on the other ear at the same time. It seem to me that the headphones give you a quality sound than loudspeakers,I always hear something that I don't notice if I were to listen to speakers.

2.How does noise canceling headphones work?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:16 PM

3,608 posts, read 4,778,613 times
1. If the sound is recorded in stereo, each ear will play something different. Usually, the difference is subtle so that the music just sounds a bit better, but occasionally the two sides will be very different and you can really hear the effect. Some music, for instance, will fade back and forth between the two ears to create the effect of something moving. It is a general rule that headphones give a better quality sound than a comparably priced loudspeaker. The factor I've hear is about 25--i.e. $100 headphones sound about as good as $2500 speakers. I have no idea how true this is, but just passing it on.

2. Noise canceling headphones work by measuring ambient sound with a microphone and then electronically producing a sound that cancels the ambient sound. Since sound is a wave, this can be done with an identical waveform but opposite amplitude. It tends to work better for lower frequency noise (Active noise control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 03-24-2009, 05:08 PM

432 posts, read 1,464,077 times
Is stereo better than mono?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,118,738 times
I don't think you can even buy a monaural recording....unless it's very very old...or something really weird.

Headphones are great...even a modest pair can rival the sound quality from a fairly expensive set of loudspeakers. Loudspeakers have to deal with the room acoustics (hard reflective sound surfaces(tile,glass doors), soft sound absorbing surfaces (furniture,carpeting) unequal spacing of you in relation to the speakers, the requirement for LOTS of drive power (watts) so the amplifiers can reproduce the waveform without adding appreciable distortion. etc etc,etc.

Headphones have a much more predictable environment and require very little power to drive.

Hi end components don't come cheap though. I'd be embarrassed to add up all the money I've spent on audiophile equipment over the years. Just as an example my "headphones" with their own dedicated class A linear amplifier are a bit over $3000. !! Yeah I know......

The down side of headphones though is that they reveal the poor recording quality of much that is on the market.

I don't know your age or musical tastes but here's a few things you might want to check out with headphones...just to get you started.....sit down...get comfy...dim the lights...mellow out and just listen...

Pink Floyd => Dark Side of the Moon.
Super Tramp ==> Crime of the Century

Wendy(Walter) Carlos ==> Switched on Bach

I'm sure I'll hear about that one from all the Classical fans..Say what you will...Walter sold more classical albums and got more young people interested in classical music than anyone before or since.

And IMHO...that's a very good thing..

And Yeah...I know that list dates me....ask me if I care...

Last edited by JBrown; 03-24-2009 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics