Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

I have two dvd players in my house. one comes on when I put in a dvd, close the door. TV automatically switch's to dvd player. I push play, watch the movie, take out dvd and shut off power to player and TV automatically resumes operation.

My second player, turn it on, put in dvd, search for TV remote control, click to choose menu, manually switch TV to input 1 in order to watch movie. when movie finish's I manually switch back to 'air' to begin watching TV again.
My question is what makes the difference that the first one automatically switch's the TV to dvd and then back when player goes off and the other one doesn't. It has become an issue because I am the only one here that understands to get the second remote for TV and switch it back and forth so I wind up running to TV several times a day. I would like to replace that dvd with one that works like the first one that does it automatically but I don't know what to look for when shopping. both players are DVD/VHS combo players but I don't really need the vhs player any longer, plus they are more expensive to purchase.
hoping to find a techie type person who knows the difference and what I should be searching for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:10 AM

23,540 posts, read 69,978,132 times
"My question is what makes the difference that the first one automatically switch's the TV to dvd and then back when player goes off and the other one doesn't."

Satan.

I'll put it this way, if someone repeatedly wanted me to run to the tv so that they could watch stuff, I would be less than charitable to them, or I would print out instructions to be kept near the tv or remotes. Your problem is not a tech problem as much as it is a user problem. Every tech person in the world has run into a variation of this, where the user demands unreasonable support. I fired a couple of customers for such nonsense and have played dumb or delayed responding to others. Somehow they magically figured out how to perform basic tasks.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:10 AM

16,471 posts, read 19,498,299 times
It's the way they are connected. One is in between your antenna (or cable) so it takes over the TV when you turn it on. The other is connected to an input, so you need to switch to that input.
You may want to look into a Smart Remote like the Logitech 650. Costs less then a new DVD player.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:38 AM

82 posts, read 137,829 times
In the first example are both the DVD player and TV Sony's?

Sony has a feature available on some components they call "BRAVIA Sync" which does exactly what you say when you connect them with an HDMI cable.

As Peregrine said, a Logitech Harmony remote will perform the same functionality regardless of the component manufacture.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,026,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's the way they are connected. One is in between your antenna (or cable) so it takes over the TV when you turn it on. The other is connected to an input, so you need to switch to that input.
You may want to look into a Smart Remote like the Logitech 650. Costs less then a new DVD player.
Not sure that is it.

The OP was not specific on the makes of the TV, the makes of the DVD players, nor how they are cabled to each other.

The first combination is likely cabled with HDMI, with newer devices. HDMI supports "CEC" which allows HDMI connected devices to control the other. If the TV supports CEC, then when the DVD player is turned on it signals the TV to turn on and switch to a specific input. Support for CEC is usually branded (such as Anynet for Samsung).

The second combination may not be capable of CEC.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 AM

16,471 posts, read 19,498,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Not sure that is it.
Wanna bet? I don't over analyze. I use the info I am provided and make a judgment call.
The way he did explain it sounds exactly like what I'm talking about which used to be a VERY popular way of connecting devices. Bet ya' $5.00 I'm right and there is NO HDMI involved.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:03 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,218,038 times
some TV's have signal sensing on inputs.

one of my TV's has this; turn on a device, it detects a new signal, assumes that is what you want to watch and automatically changes to that input. if you turn everything off (sat receiver, dvd, etc. .), the tv will turn itself off as there is no signal.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,286 times
Thank you Peregrine, you are right, there is no hdmi on either device. and they were connected differently. I rerouted the cables and now they are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics