U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 10,060 times

Advertisements

Where can I find an old 8mm splicing reel to reel editing machine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,275,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post

I ended up using a professional video service.
As far as what my rates were:
I found a bunch of old 8mm that my parents had taken right after they got married in 1939, and through their travels around the country during WWII (dad was in the Coast Guard), and into the early 50's.

Some were in pretty bad shape, brittle, etc. But I also used a professional service, and was thrilled with the results. They cleaned the film, spliced it all together, and scanned it. Once that was done they notified me it was ready for my review online. I then went online and was able to arrange them in the order I wanted, and to provide titles for the different segments.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 10,060 times
Default 8mm editing machine

Need to find an 8mm editing machine reel to reel. Anyone know where I might find one? Hand crank is perfect.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:42 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,275,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedanang View Post
Need to find an 8mm editing machine reel to reel. Anyone know where I might find one? Hand crank is perfect.
Put it in the 'wanted' section of Craigslist for your local area.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 AM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
I've been doing this for while and am quite familiar with the industry so you can pretty much take what I'm about to post to the bank.

If you want to do this yourself and do it right be prepared to make an investment of both time and money. Assuming they are family moments you want to do this right the first time, if you can't make that commitment have someone do them for you that knows what they are doing. Having said that be very careful who you choose, a lot of places that do this are nothing but fly by night services that simply have a bunch of cheap DVD recorders... you can do that yourself with little investment of either time or money. If you can find a good shop and don't want to make the investment in both time and money you're better off having a a professional do it. Just be sure to research the service before committing. One thing I would request is that the captures be placed on HDD in DV-AVI format. If they can't offer that, e.g. only offer it on DVD that's sure sign they are using DVD recorders and I'd look elsewhere.

8mm film

This is not a subject I'm very versed in however I've read quite a bit about it. To really do this correctly you need a telecine machine and they are not cheap. Then again none of the real good equipment is no matter what you're doing.

On the cheap (and I'm not suggesting anyone take this path) many people will simply get a projector and videotape the film on the wall with a mini-dv camcorder however this technique is not exactly the best and you will need a projector with variable speed and decent camcorder with manual adjustments. Due to the different framerates between 8mm film and the mini-dv cam you'll get a very noticeable flicker without these manual adjustments.

Analog Video
(VHS & Hi-8 etc)

I've written a very extensive article about his on my own site so there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. This will give you most of the information and a basic understanding that you'll need before making any decisions on what to purchase.

Capturing VHS or Hi-8 for Archiving or DVD

Quote:
Of course the video quality will be no better than the original VHS tape unless you use a an editing program like Premiere or Final Cut wich gives you some enhancement options, but those programs have a pretty steep learning curve.
Actually when working in the analog realm the best corrective measures you can take is with analog equipment, there's plenty of devices available. Many of the errors inherent in analog cannot be fixed, fixed easily or fixed as well once you get them digitized. A really good VCR is a good starting point but these are getting very rare and very expensive. I'm not talking about the crap you buy at Wal-Mart either, for example the JVC 9911 is a very sought after unit selling for about $400 used and that is only a prosumer model.

There is lot of other equipment available, for example if you have a VHS or hi-8 tape that exhibits skewing, frame skipping and other similar issues that are typical of tapes that are old and well used it can be fixed in most cases with a TBC. You can't fix that post capture with software because you have captured the flicker, in other words you now have a perfectly recorded error... there's nothing to fix.

See the stickies here for what you can do and some examples:

Restoration - VideoHelp.com

Post capture I'd suggest using Virtual dub and the many filters to polish your "masterpiece".

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-25-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics