Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 12:22 PM

262 posts, read 798,605 times

Advertisements

So, I want to switch from Verizon to T-Mobile, but my Verizon contract is up next month.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to wait until I can upgrade on Verizon, upgrade to the iPhone 6 under Verizon for $199, then cancel after Verizon's 14 day window, switch to T-Mobile, and have T-Mobile pay my early termination fee plus trade in my current iPhone 5 to T-Mobile.

I think this is how it would break down, but let me know if I'm missing anything:

$199 - Upgrade to iPhone 6 under Verizon
$35 - Verizon Activation Fee
$60 (est) - Pay Verizon for the 14 days of service
$350 - Verizon Early Termination Fee

$644 Total

-$350 T-Mobile ETF Reimbursement
-$238 Trade-in value of my current iPhone 5 paid to me by T-Mobile
+$10 T-Mobile Sim Fee

$122 Total

Basically, I would get the Verizon iPhone 6 for $122.

Can I then use that Verizon iPhone on T-Mobile?

The only stipulation I may be missing is that I think T-Mobile may only pay the ETF if you buy a new phone from T-Mobile.

If this is the case, then I could sell the Verizon iPhone 6 on Craigslist for say, $500.

- the $122 it cost me

$378

Then I could put that $378 towards purchasing a T-Mobile iPhone 6, leaving me with a minimal monthly payment added to my T-Mobile bill.

OR

If T-Mobile makes me buy a phone to pay my ETF, can I purchase their cheapest phone and then switch my plan over to my Verizon iPhone the next day?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:00 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I don't know about all that but there is a bigger issue at play: Verizon Phones cannot be used on T-Mobile.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:36 PM

apparently the iPhone 6 on Verizon can be used on T-Mobile

Old 11-06-2014, 07:30 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
This will not work. I could understand if the T-Mobile offer was cloaked in fine print (which I'm sure it is) but they say in a nice big font:

"We'll Pay Your Early Termination Fees with a Visa prepaid card when you switch and trade in your device"

If the ETF is for an iPhone 6, they're going to want the iPhone 6. They're definitely not going to pay you for the iPhone 5 and let you keep the iPhone 6. Why not just buy the iPhone directly from T-Mobile when your Verizon contract is up?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM

I wouldn't have to trade in the iPhone 6 -- they have no clue what phone is on your current plan -- their ETF just requires that you trade in "a phone". I've had friends that traded in old flip phones that were sitting in a dresser drawer for two years.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:02 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
You do have to buy a phone from TMobile.

You're making my head spin here...
lol

Old 11-08-2014, 01:13 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
I've heard of bank heists that were less complicated this.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:11 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
LOL the OP would have to buy a t-molbile phone since T-Mobile is GSM and Verizon is CDMA to different systems. the OP can goto an apple store and buy an unlocked ipone and bounce back between at&t and T-Mobile. I am thinking that if the OP brought his own device to att that they would come out cheaper in the long run under att's bring your own device program and have better service as well that t-mobiles lousy network

Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
LOL the OP would have to buy a t-molbile phone since T-Mobile is GSM and Verizon is CDMA to different systems. the OP can goto an apple store and buy an unlocked ipone and bounce back between at&t and T-Mobile. I am thinking that if the OP brought his own device to att that they would come out cheaper in the long run under att's bring your own device program and have better service as well that t-mobiles lousy network
For the roughly millionth time, an iPhone from Verizon will in fact work on T-Mobile (or AT&T). One of the reasons Verizon phones tend to fetch a wee bit more when you sell them used is that they have all the necessary radios to work on whatever carrier you want. Even better, they're unlocked right out of the box so you don't have to jump through any hoops to get them working on T Mobile or AT&T.

It's been that way for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics