Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM

112 posts, read 199,012 times

Advertisements

Well, with both Samsung and LG no longer making plasma TVs, do you think I should buy one of the last plasma models available?
Here's the situation. I was looking at the Samsung 8500 series plasma screen to replace our 10 year old Mitsubishi rear projection TV, but we will be moving in 6 months and didn't want to purchase anything until then.
Does it make any sense to buy a plasma screen now and hold on to it for 6 months? I'm kind of worried that if there was a problem with the set and I didn't find out until May, I'd be out of luck.

Another option would be to buy it now and install it. I would have to buy a new AV cabinet though and I'm not sure that it would go with the new furniture that we will buy in May for the new house, plus I'd have to find a place for the Mitsubishi which I am planning on keeping for the game room of the new house.

Or, of course I could wait until May and purchase something then, hoping that there would still be some inventory of the F8500 model plasma available or something in a similar quality and price range.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:22 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
I really really want a Samsung F8500 plasma. I have a D8000 series plasma and it has a fantastic, natural picture like good plasmas do. The F8500 is brighter, retaining the other fine qualities of plasmas.

Buy it if you can get a good price. No LCD/LED TV will beat its picture quality. Maybe an OLED.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I love my Plasma. I have one of each (Plasma & LCD) and the plasma has a noticeably better picture.
I would not hesitate to get one today. Plasma is going away but not because it was bad technology or anything. In fact, I would probably get one before they are gone. Big fan here.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:30 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,295 times
Stores usually offer an extended warranty for a price. Get that just in case. If something does break down and they can't fix it, you'll get a new tv out of the deal as long as it's within the extended warranty time frame.

I have a plasma tv but bought it not really knowing what I was buying. But I love it. The picture on it is amazing. It's like being in the movie theater.

The other tv I bought is an LED, or LCD and the picture isn't as clear and that was more expensive.

oh, check PCRichard.com I found their plasma's are cheaper than Best Buys with free shipping too. I just bought a 51 inch Samsung for 379.99 with free shipping. I haven't received it yet. I bought it allegedly for hubby for Christmas. LOL But we will share or he will sleep on the floor.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:36 PM

260 posts, read 326,263 times
I dropped 6gs on that first plasma, then when it burned up, I got rear projection. My new LED is good too.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
I dropped 6gs on that first plasma, then when it burned up, I got rear projection. My new LED is good too.

6 grand for a tv.. for that price it should serve cold beer and pretzels.

How long did your plasma last and what brand was it?

I just bought a Samsung 51inch but it hasn't been delivered yet.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:21 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
I have 2 Panasonic Vieja 50" Plasmas that are 10 years old and are on about 8-10 hrs each day. Best investment in TV's I've ever made. Picture is still terrific after all these years.
It's a shame that plasmas are being phased out. If you can get one do so, you won't regret it.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post
Well, with both Samsung and LG no longer making plasma TVs, do you think I should buy one of the last plasma models available?
Here's the situation. I was looking at the Samsung 8500 series plasma screen to replace our 10 year old Mitsubishi rear projection TV, but we will be moving in 6 months and didn't want to purchase anything until then.
Does it make any sense to buy a plasma screen now and hold on to it for 6 months? I'm kind of worried that if there was a problem with the set and I didn't find out until May, I'd be out of luck.

Another option would be to buy it now and install it. I would have to buy a new AV cabinet though and I'm not sure that it would go with the new furniture that we will buy in May for the new house, plus I'd have to find a place for the Mitsubishi which I am planning on keeping for the game room of the new house.

Or, of course I could wait until May and purchase something then, hoping that there would still be some inventory of the F8500 model plasma available or something in a similar quality and price range.

What do you think?
I think you can safely wait til May to buy it. When you do look for it use Google or thefind.com to make your search a little easier. When I was researching the Samsung plasma that I just bought I found PcRichards and Best Buy had the lowest prices.

If the worst happens and you can't find the Samsung tv you want I read that Panasonic hasn't given up on the plasma's yet.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
People that have plasma love them, people that have LED love them. When we bought our LED we compared and couldn't see the difference, but the LED had many more choices. The LED also uses almost 50% less electricity, but for the difference of $16/year or $10/year it's hardly a consideration.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:27 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
The LCD advantage (LED is LCD) is: weight. My LCD weighs like 15 pounds. My Plasma is almost 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics