U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 PM

828 posts, read 2,911,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Plus you don't have to hassle about letting people climb all over your roof or house and mess up something else while they put the ugly dish on the roof. In the area where I live, the "cable company" actually has more residential phone customers than the old "phone company", that gives you an idea how much technology and competition has opened doors for customers to choose from. Competition among cable, satellite and telephone companies is good for consumers, it forces all of them to pay attention to customer service, keep up with technology, and prevents them from increasing prices that are out of line with their competitors.
Climb all over your roof?
The last move that I made I watched the DirecTV installer. He climbed up a ladder. Found the exact spot. Spent a short time up there, and it was all done. The dish is out of view, but I have no problem with the dish in view of anyone.
Now, in my area, the phone service by the cable company is no where as good as Verizon, so I kept Verizon for phone service. Yes, if you want to save money, you can buy that "bundle", or package, that the cable company has...I just happen to believe that DirecTV is that much more superior to cable that I do not care about some bundled price.
Quote:
It was a nasty little storm passing thru georgia,it was done by a tech from direct tv, it's on the roof and it's a hd setup.
Rarely have I ever seen my picture go out because of a storm. I did lose reception one time because of an ice-storm, and lost the signal for a few minutes here and there because of a major thunder storm passing.
Did the reception ever come back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 PM

941 posts, read 2,100,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
The last move that I made I watched the DirecTV installer. He climbed up a ladder. Found the exact spot. Spent a short time up there, and it was all done. The dish is out of view, but I have no problem with the dish in view of anyone.
Now, in my area, the phone service by the cable company is no where as good as Verizon, so I kept Verizon for phone service. Yes, if you want to save money, you can buy that "bundle", or package, that the cable company has...I just happen to believe that DirecTV is that much more superior to cable that I do not care about some bundled price.

Rarely have I ever seen my picture go out because of a storm. I did lose reception one time because of an ice-storm, and lost the signal for a few minutes here and there because of a major thunder storm passing.
This actually happened several times, 2 times with alot lot rain and thunder, and the last with snow, the last time it was out all night

Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,817,405 times
The only time our satellite reception went out when we had it was when there was a really bad storm to our south, blocking the view. BTW, don't you know where Cable TV gets their signal? From a satellite dish.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,620,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The only time our satellite reception went out when we had it was when there was a really bad storm to our south, blocking the view. BTW, don't you know where Cable TV gets their signal? From a satellite dish.
Not as much anymore. Much of it is not coming off fiber. Single mode fiber has got so good that it can carry 2000 TV channels and only needs repeaters now every 80 miles or so. Satellites cost hundreds of millions to launch and maintain and they only have a life of 15 years or so and cannot be repaired if they break or lose transponders. I predict that soon satellites will not be used for TV at all anymore or only as a "plan B" in case of fiber cuts.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 PM

3,350 posts, read 12,800,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post

Do you have the new Ka/Ku 5 LNB dish. I hade it with Directv and it was installed by the buffoon contractors from Directech. I lost my signal constantly. Oddly the dual LNB dish I had up before that (that I installed) hardly ever lost signal. Directech came to my home a number of times and could not fix the problem. Directv actually sent their own techs twice and they still couldn't get it right. I did like my programming with Directv but couldn't put up with the constant outages. I got rid of them and went back to cable. Evidently the cable company in my area finally smartened up and started to make repairs to their lines to provide better service. The picture clarity I get from cable now is far better than the one I had when I originally got rid of them for Satellite about 8-9 years ago. The installer from the cable company said that the amount of acceptable leakage from the lines has been reduced over the years thus the better service. I have my internet and television service through them and I'm paying about $50. less than when I had Directv for basically the same programming. Verizon Fios just became available on my street and my neighbor called to ask how much it would cost for a similar package that he now has with the cable company (phone, internet, television). He told me they quoted him an introductory price that was already aprox. $40. more than what he was paying. The kicker is that if you want their introductory price you have to agree to a two year commitment.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:26 PM

52,161 posts, read 30,225,991 times
Cable works fine for me because I'm not much of a TV watcher, and I only watch 3 or 4 channels, so I see no sense of having over a hundred channels. If I had that many channels, I'd probably be flipping through them trying to find something decent to watch.

I have a 52" HDTV, and most of the time, I use it to watch movies on DVD.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,206,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I used to hear vague complaints about losing satellite signals in any kind of bad weather, but have found out through first-hand experience (with DirecTV) that it's mostly a myth. If you lose satellite signal frequently, it may have more to do with proper setup/alignment than with the weather. We live in the mountains at 9,000 feet elevation, in a place that gets about 200" of snow every winter, immense mountainous thunderstorms in the summer, and wind gusts of 80+mph from time to time. Haven't had the signal go out once.
I think maybe that living at 9,000 feet actually works to your advantage. For those of us close to sea level and especially at northern lattitudes, that means the signal has to try to penetrate an extra couple of miles of rain and snow, which may make the difference between whether the signal makes it through or not.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:18 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,113,530 times
I have had mostly satellite since 1989. I lived in a few cities that wouldn't let me have satellite way back when. Now they can't stop me. I found the satellite to be cheaper and the rate hikes weren't so much or so frequent. I have had the dishes lose picture. Due to weather. But hey it's only been for a few minutes or maybe an hour at the most. I now have a dish upgrade with a DVR so I have programs always recorded for these times or just because I wanted to watch something and record something at the same time. I used to install satellite systems. The best thing for snow, even better than the snow screen they try to sell you ( it can blow full of snow under the right conditions) and cover the dish. Is to spray some cooking oil spray (Pam) on the dish part of the dish. Not the LNB (thing that points back toward the dish) piece. It's best to do this in the fall after the hot summer sun stops. This will allow the snow to slide off the dish. It will work to keep probably 90% of the snow from sticking to it. And it does not interfere with the reception at all. Also check your signal strength. If is is low, you might try another transducer. See how in your dish operating book to change to other one. Or if it can't be changed call the satellite people and have them come out and realine it. Or if your going to have to pay for it. Go to radio shack and purchase a satellite finder. This goes in the line between your dish and reciever and lets you point the dish for more precise reception. It is a delicate thing so watch what your doing.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:05 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,122,348 times
I did have a problem with the searching for signal but I had gotten water in the lines, lines by the way that had been up for years.

They sent out a tech and fixed it.

I do from time to time loose signal but it doesn't last for long.

I will never forget how so many people were without their cable service after the hurricanes. Before they got the power up to my community, I hooked my TV and Directv box up to a power invertor in my car and watched TV to find out what was going on in the real world.

Even after they got my power on there was alot of people in our area that still didn't have their cable TV or their cable modem and it was causing a HUGE problem for people who worked from home and relied on their computer.

They also mentioned people trying to access the internet using a generator or battery backup.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:21 AM

10,756 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Just got my cable bill.....$92 for the digital classic package. I compared the channels to that of Dish Networks 250 and Dish would be significantly cheaper. I have no premium channels, nor do I want any. I have a dual tuner DVR and my friend who has Dish loves hers, so switching from cable to Dish shouldn't be that hard of a transition. I'm leery about the signal making it through my trees. My backyard (south) is entirely tree lined. I wonder if you sign up in winter when the trees are bare if they'll let you out of your contract in spring if the trees block the signal. I need to look into this.

Thanks for your posts.
The main thing you need to keep in mind, if you have any type of seperate DVR or anything with it's own tuner that you connect directly to the cable coax, it will be all but useless when you switch to satellite. Satellite requires that any device, TV, DVR, etc, have it's own SAT tuner box connection to function, unlike cable TV, with which you can plug the coax directly into a TV or other device that has it's own tuner. I use a Windows Media Center PC with a dual tuner with which I can record up to 2 channels at once and watch a 3rd using the TV's tuner, I would lose this functionality if I switched to SAT (unless I paid them more $$ for a dual tuner DVR box), which is why I don't switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics