Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 06:53 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times

Advertisements

Is there any website, service, or program that would allow me to input the names of my few favorite TV shows to determine which cable TV alternatives would be most likely to capture them? I am just getting started with finding a replacement for DirecTV and it is tough tracking all the info down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:46 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
If your favorite shows are on NBC, CBS, ABC, CW, MY, PBS, you can't get any cheaper than installing an antenna. Plus in many large metro areas you will get all the sub-channels, MEtv, antennatv, Movies, JN, Grit, THIS, Bounce, Get, Escape, Create
All the 'alternatives' are the same. Suck you in with a one year teaser rate [plus fees, taxes, rental charge]. A two year contract with rates increasing to regular rates when one year is up.
And then your favorite shows may be on the net thru streaming. See what apps are available on your 'smart' input or add your own.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:33 PM

So for 'alternatives' I was hoping to mean things like roku, hulu, etc. so I could decide which ones to add. Sorry I wasn't clear. But with only one response, I'm guessing there may not be an easy way.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:09 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Netflix wins all the way around. Amazon Prime has increased its subscription rate, and it has the nasty habit of offering you Season 1 of your favorite show for "free" (with your paid Prime subscription), then after you watch your free season, throwing up a paywall for subsequent seasons requiring you to pony up $2/episode or $20+/season afterward. No fun. Hulu makes you pay to watch network TV shows with commercials. Not only that, but you watch the same commercials over and over and over. It gets extremely irritating. I kept Hulu+ for about three months and canceled because of the commercials. I kept Amazon Prime for a year and canceled that as well. I still love Netflix. No commercials, no paywalls, no games.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I'm trying out Sling right now. I really like that they have ESPN.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:57 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So for 'alternatives' I was hoping to mean things like roku, hulu, etc. so I could decide which ones to add. Sorry I wasn't clear. But with only one response, I'm guessing there may not be an easy way.
A Roku isn't really a content provider, it's a streaming device. You add the channels of content providers to stream them. Some cost money, some don't. You can check out what they have here https://www.roku.com/whats-on

IMHO it's probably the best option for new cord cutters. The problem is you don't have access to some stuff unless you're a cable/sat subscriber, and some stuff just isn't available at all.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:23 PM

NHDave, thanks, but when I go to the roku website there is nothing like a search box so I can check if my few favorite channels are covered. Are they all covered and it is just a question of cost? Then, why can't I search for the channel and see the cost. This is the frustration, not just with the link you kindly provided bu with the others, too.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:15 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
luv4horses... it's likely that as a stand alone 'station' you aren't going to fing it on Roku (or other device) unless you have a cable subscription which provides a login to view that content. In other words, something you pay for somewhere else... and if so, then why would you need a Roku (or other device).

There are some 'content delivery' apps on your Roku (or other device) that may/or not provide some content which you seek. Knowing what it is you're looking for might assist to determine the best way to find it. Using a Roku (or other device) is more a 'participation watching' activity. You need to design and acquire the content you want.

You might visit SlingTV (sling.com) which is a content deliverer. It is provided by the same company that provides Dish satellite but does NOT require Dish Sat subscript. SlingTV is internet delivered, monthly, no contract. It does require a Roku (or other device). Slings basic package is $20 a month and includes Disney channels, ESPN channels, HGTV, TBS, TNT, other sports, CNN, AMC, (4) EPIX movie channels, Sundance, IFC. Just TODAY Sling has announced the addition to that basic package (for the same $20 month) A&E, HISTORY, H2 and Lifetime.

http://www.reddit.com/tb/2zch56

There is not yet a Roku (or other device) delivery of the OTA (over the air) channels. Actually CBS may have one. HBO... I've heard something about them having one. But most OTA will require a TV antenna.

Here are a couple of links which list channels that YOU can add to your Roku...

http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2013/...annel.html?m=1
http://www.freerokuchannels.com/list...roku-channels/

Just found this on reddit... http://www.yidio.com/
Quote:
Yidio is a Free service that allows you to search, discover, personalize and watch TV Shows & Movies across Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and hundreds of other providers in one place. The TV Shows & Movies you want to watch are everywhere. They're on TV network sites. They're on on-demand streaming services. They're available to watch for free and with your subscriptions. Just about anything you want to watch is out there somewhere, but finding exactly what you want to watch exactly when you want to watch it isn't always easy.

Last edited by metroxian; 03-17-2015 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
Quote:
The Cord Cutter

Calculate what it would cost to get all of your TV online
luv4horses, Give this a look

Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm trying out Sling right now. I really like that they have ESPN.
How is that service working out so far? I'm wanting to cut the cord from DTV, but I'm a sports guy (mostly football) and the thoughts of not having ESPN is what kills me about cutting the cord. So, if the Sling thing is working for you, then I might go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics