U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 34,274 times

Advertisements

all the replacements seem to be "refurbished"; that should have been a clue. It looks like from online that the only way to get a dtv receiver that is brand named is to buy an older one...searching for an RCA HD receiver now...hope that such an animal exists...(small hope)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 11:41 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,682,860 times
I had my HD DVR freeze up a few times in the first couple of weeks of it being installed. I have had Dtv forever but upgraded to HD about 6 mos. ago. They sent out a technician to trouble shoot it and they said that my dish needed to be adjusted, the HD needs a really strong signal apparently. He readjusted the dish and I have not had a problem since.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:08 AM

3 posts, read 34,274 times
well on the regular receiver, the signal strength metered at 89-96 nothing less, so, the box is just not working: for no good reason...expect shoddy junk now that Directv sub-contracts out its own boxes...monopolizing the market...just great

Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,682,860 times
How did you get your HD DVR? Did they send it to you or did you buy it in a store? The tech brought mine with him when he did the upgrade, and I saw him open it brand new. He swapped out my dish and ran all new cable from the dish to my multi switch inside. He also replaced all the connectors on the existing cable, he said it needed to be done for HD. I am just saying this to see if yours did the same thing when you upgraded.

Well from all the horror stories I guess I got lucky and got a pretty good receiver.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,678,623 times
I think Directv does use new receivers when you first sign up with them. From what I've heard and read, maybe all the replacement receivers are refurbished!?!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:06 PM

28,449 posts, read 18,224,842 times
Hammer them hard now, the warrenty is only 30 days! Make sure they record any problems, don't give them slack. Ours records fine, we do have issues with "pixilation" and the sound/picture getting out of sync at times.

Direct's service pretty much sucks. We had issues when we first got ours, took a day off work so the tech could swap the LNBs. Didn't fix the problem-when the customer service followup call came in, they said that there were problems at the uplink facility, everyone was having issues. Why not say that in the first place-I wouldn't have wasted a vacation day. If you have to have them out multiple times to fix the same issue before they replace the receiver/card and test it before the tech leaves, send them an invoice for YOUR time, and hassle them with followup calls for non-payment. It won't go anywhere but might feel good.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 PM

4 posts, read 18,570 times
This does happen on occasion with some receivers. If the problem persists after you get the new card then it is more than likely the receiver itself. I am a DirecTv Tech. Sometimes you just get a bad receiver. To be honest I have encountered more problems with brand new equipment than refurbished.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 PM

Analara, more than likely it is a poor signal. Push the menu button the go to parental controls/system setup then go to satellite and then to signal strentg and then signal meter. On standard receivers and standard DVR's the signal ideally should be in the mid 80's and for HD & HD DVR it should at least be in the mid 90's. DirecTv has always had the receivers in a lease type situation for the first two years of service and after that they are considered customer owned. I think with standard receivers it is a year and with standard DVR's it is 1 1/2 yrs.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 PM

If a technician went to your friend's home and did the swap of receivers then I doubt she would have 10 remotes as they are supposed to return with the receivers and if it was a contracted Tech then usually a return package is sent to the customer and if not return all items (power cords, remotes, etc then they are charged for them...

Old 12-17-2009, 12:09 AM

As technicians whenever we run into "Old" fittings such as the crimped, oxidized, improperly assembled, etc. fittings we are supposed to be replaced. About the only time we "have" to replace coax is if there is obvious damage to the existing and/or if it isn't RG6 Coax. Especially with the new swim HD dishes you take a chance of the system crashing if using RG 59 Coax. I was on a job the other day and had to run all new lines because all the old lines were RG59 and I was installing a swim dish with 5 receivers two of which were HD DVR's. Most DVR's are touchierthan their counterparts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics