U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 8,333 times

Advertisements

Just so all of you know about the receivers that DirecTV is sending out to you, with each replacement.. You start a new 2 Year commitment. With acceptance of that receiver, you are accepting the contract for another 2 years. They have several major law suits against them for this, however it is still practiced. My mom has Direct and has for about 10 years, she swears by them. Being a DISH employee, I swear by DISH. She was a bit swayed when they changed her commitment period with replacing a receiver (HD DVR), and automatically put her into another contract! After 10 years I would say she is entitled to another receiver free of cost! Wouldn't you? Needless to say she is still trying to get that reversed, wish her luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,646 times
i have had directv for 10 years. I ordered the HD DVR+ from directv last year and so far it has done good. The only problem I have with it is when you go to a recorded HD program it will freeze up sometimes but its not a hard fix just change the channel. Directv wont give nothing free anymore I had to pay $150 for my "leased" receiver. Dish has a better deal but they dont offer the channels that directv does and i think directv's technology while sometimes crappy is better than dish networks. like the post before me says though you do have to watch directv they will stick you in a new contract without you knowing it

Old 07-04-2011, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,565 times
My guide is running very slow on my hd dvr......i was told that there are updates you can put in.....I was told to hit the reset button where the card is located and when it comes up with the blue screen that says welcome to put in a code....only I dont know what the code is.....does anyone?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,239,716 times
more reasons im glad i ditched direc tv in favor of netflix and free OTA hd

Old 10-25-2011, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 25,563 times
Hello
for the longest time, I thought it was me. Since we switched LAST October to HD receivers and dvr, our dvr is doing the same thing repeatedly cutting off and rebooting, then shutting the tv off. Since October of 2010, we have already gone through 8 DVRs and about 20 access cards. Each time the techs come out, they can't find anything worng, have totally recabled my house and the DVR and receviers still continue to go through the cards. We are just as frustrated with Directv as I know the case management and Access Department is with me. Thanks for the clarifiacation. Despite the fact that we've been with Directv for 13 yrs, it looks as if it's time to give them up. they were trying to convince me that my house was having electrical problems and to hire an electrician.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,274 times
our directv dvr is not shutting off ours keeps recording programs on its own. it also loves to change the chanel while your trying to watch tv. anyone else haveing this problem?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 25,563 times
Yes, Debbie,

We're having the same problem! We have only had this DVR for 6 weeks (my 8th one) and it is recording programs on its own and according to DTV they indicate that if you keep recording from one specific channel, the DVR will on occasion record that channel, but the channels that it records from is all of them; ESPN, CNN, The Info Channel (why would I record the Genie Bra), TBS but strangely enough, not the channel that I record the most, which is TCM!!! It seems to record every channel except TCM so they obviously are incorrect. Then, what is the most frustrating is that despite the fact that the DVR is supposed to keep the programs until the disk is full, after a couple of days it seems to only delete MY recordings and keep what it records. I have complained to DTV about this and they have no clue why it's doing this especially since my disk is 99% free! I don't have anthing except a couple of movies recorded on it. I finally called them yesterday and had to argue with them to tell them that I was sick of the problems with my DVR and that I wanted a standard receiver in it's place. What's the sense of having one when I can't enjoy the movies that I'm recording because the DVR is deleting them as well as once they take the DVR, your movies are also gone.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,452 times
Angry DVR Nightmares Continue

I've been a Directv customer for a year now and just got a second DVR for the bedroom (HR21-100). It was lousy, which was a surprise since my HR24 has worked perfectly. Anyway, all of the usual problems everyone else is having, so sent it back and got a replacement. The replacement was another HR21, but now the 700 series. It is even worse! It freezes up every two or three minutes while watching a live program on any channel. It goes into "reset" mode on its own several times a day. Getting the guide on screen is a major effort, often requiring several minutes. Also, unlike my HR24, both of these DVRs would not 30-second skip properly. When the skip button was activated, 11 seconds were required to actually skip the 30 seconds. All of the settings were checked with customer service and they could not come up with an answer. I told them I wanted another HR24 and found out they only send out their replacement junk after they get your $200 and a two year commitment. I had it elevated to their special customer service department and was informed by the agent that they could send me any model DVR they wished and they had no control over it. Wow, what great customer service! A "certified" technician is coming out in two days to "professionally troubleshoot" my system. Can hardly wait. Wish I had known all of this before switching from dish.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Anyone heard anything lately on the lawsuit?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,755,236 times
Yup they called 2 or 3 times trying to offer me "FREE UPGRADE" to thier HD/DVR boxs or something and i told them no!!

I DONT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS HD CRAP,DVR SERVICE,ETC..... (I prefer standard def and my VCR ... MUCH BETTER IN MY OPINION)

I have had them for 12 yrs now

Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM

235 posts, read 413,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I prefer standard def and my VCR ... MUCH BETTER IN MY OPINION
I totally respect your right to your opinion, but was hoping to find out which aspects of SD and a VCR that you find superior to HD and a DVR?
Cheers
j
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics