U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,634,159 times

Advertisements

Here's a great article on this subject, in case anyone wants some more detail.

Secrets of 700-MHz Spectrum Auction - Bob Cringely - Google - FCC - Sprint - WiMAX - Popular Mechanics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:30 PM

16,300 posts, read 13,787,407 times
One of the best benefits of digital TV is that is gets out over a greater distance with a perfect picture than does analog TV.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:01 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,610,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
One of the best benefits of digital TV is that is gets out over a greater distance with a perfect picture than does analog TV.
Some say it does but I find that hard to believe beings that most of the stations will be on what was the UHF spectrum which is weaker than the VHF spectrum.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
It's also pretty much unusable in fringe areas because rather than giving a fuzzy picture, a digital signal just intermittently falls off a cliff and drops out completely.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:42 AM

362 posts, read 925,307 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Some say it does but I find that hard to believe beings that most of the stations will be on what was the UHF spectrum which is weaker than the VHF spectrum.
I don't know enough to make a call on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It's also pretty much unusable in fringe areas because rather than giving a fuzzy picture, a digital signal just intermittently falls off a cliff and drops out completely.
I can definitely agree with this last post though. About 4 months ago I made the switch from a nearly 10 year old analog tv to a high def(1080p capable)LCD (that I freakin love). Due to the constraints imposed by the apartment complex I live in, I am not able to receive any HD broadcasts though the local cable company nor can I sign up for Directv or Dish Network. I'm stuck with the custom channel line up included in my rent. My only options for over the air HD signals are what I can pick up with my indoor antenna. That being said, the HD signal is either there or it's not. There's not fuzzy static as with the analog signals but I lose my signal much more frequently than with analog. I live in an area that is very close to the ABC afiiliate, but in the fringe for NBC, CBS, and FOX. When I have my TV in analog mode and use the NTSC tuner with my antenna my ABC is fairly good with almost no fuzz and my other major networks are slightly fuzzy but definitely not to the point of being a major nuisance. When I switch over to the ATSC digital tuner with antenna to watch shows in HD the ABC station looks great 90% of the time, while the NBC and CBS don't come in at all and the FOX station I receive is good about 50% of the time and isn't even the same one i get with the analog tuner. It seems like you need to be closer to the source with digital.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,791,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
FYI this type of thing with the FCC is far from new...

Long ago there was a TV channel # 1 ...Ever wonder about that..ie.. why do the channels start with #2...There was a channel #1 and it's frequency got used by radio service if I recall.
The the color TV thing you mentioned...back then there were a number of competing systems..The FCC ruled that any color system had to be compatible with the existing black and white system...which lead to the RCA NTSC system (analog) that is still in use...although fadeing fast..

UHF...remember when TVs didn't have UHF tuners and those that did weren't detented but were of the rotory dial type ?? The FCC got involved and made it manditory that all tv's have a detented UHF tuner. The goal was to promote low power local UHF stations...

The list is long but the Fcc has always "played" with the different services for many reasons.
Back in the 1960's; the UHF dial went as high as Ch 83------that and a few below it are now gone.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 PM

588 posts, read 2,585,886 times
A slight hijack, but a related question:

Why is the government subsidizing the converter boxes with those $40 coupons? This, to me, implies that watching over-the-air TV is somehow considered a legal right, not a privilege, and the government feels obligated to compensate people for suddenly yanking away their analog TV with these subsidized converter boxes. So, why not let everyone who insists on keeping their old analog TV buy a converter box at full price? Why the subsidy?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM

588 posts, read 2,585,886 times
Nobody wants to comment on my converter box subsidy question? Maybe I should have put it in a separate thread. Or maybe nobody knows the answer?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,214,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
A slight hijack, but a related question:

Why is the government subsidizing the converter boxes with those $40 coupons? This, to me, implies that watching over-the-air TV is somehow considered a legal right, not a privilege, and the government feels obligated to compensate people for suddenly yanking away their analog TV with these subsidized converter boxes. So, why not let everyone who insists on keeping their old analog TV buy a converter box at full price? Why the subsidy?
The logic is that, since the government will be making large profits off of the sale of radio spectrum formerly used for TV, those inconvenienced the most should get a small share of those profits to use to get converter boxes.

Not sure I agree with it, but that was the logic. It had nothing to do with the concept of TV watching as a right.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The logic is that, since the government will be making large profits off of the sale of radio spectrum formerly used for TV, those inconvenienced the most should get a small share of those profits to use to get converter boxes.

Not sure I agree with it, but that was the logic. It had nothing to do with the concept of TV watching as a right.
Not just large profits... 10s of BILLIONS of dollars in profits. The coupon program was initially funded at about $1.3 Billion, so even though that sounds like a lot of money, it's not that much compared to the profit the spectrum license fees will generate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics