U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM

1,804 posts, read 7,072,208 times

Advertisements

It’s time to upgrade the 10-year-old tube TV to a flat panel. I’m looking at a 42-47 inch LCD. I am comfortable researching models on my own. However, I have questions about mountings / stands

1) How hard is it to mount a TV oneself (assuming at least two people to help)? The cheapest I’ve been able to find professionally is around $300, and I don’t want to tack that on to the $1,000 to $1,500 I’m going to spend on the TV. Actually affixing the mount doesn’t seem terrible hard – just locate studs and drill the holes in the right spot? Anything else to be aware of?

2) But my main question is how do you hide the cables so they don’t run down front of the wall? I’m guessing cut a hole with a drywall saw and fish it down to a second hole near the floorboard. Do you run them through any sort of electrical box? Are their cable plate interfaces for the HDMI, component cables etc? Also, the wall I would mount it on is an external wall. I have heard that those walls tend to have more obstructions. Any hints for that?

3) What do you do with your components? It would be nice not to have to have a shelf right under the TV, both for asthetics and to free up a few feet of floor space.

If I went with a stand, any recommendations for a nice stand at a low price? The stands I liked again seemed overpriced – tacked on $250-$400 for some glass and metal.

Any final thoughts to sway me from one position to another. The stands seem easier. But a wall mount saves space and looks cooler at the expense of having to cut into walls, which I hate doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:28 PM

532 posts, read 2,132,380 times
I just did this for my parents new house. We had the benefit of doing some things before the house was completed. That wall has 3/4 plywood behind the drywall where the tv is mounted. This is not really necesary, but that wall is SOLID. We also put a channel in the wall, basicly an empty box, with a hole behind it, to another empty electrical box below. The hdmi cable was run before the wall was finished. The plugs on it were too big to pull through afterwards anyways. We also had the electricians run a power outlet up where the tv would be. The components sit on a nice stand (glass metal thing) on the floor (that used to be the stand for the tv too). For a new house, with a little planning beforehand, it can be made to look really nice. For an old house (like mine), I cant see how to do it nice. Im sure pro's can. Where my tv would be, is an exterior wall, so Im not messing with it. (1/2 inch behind my textured wall is cinder blocks).
Actually hanging the tv, was easy. I woudlnt pay $300 for it. Remember too, the bracket is over $100 if its not included with your tv. You can get wire runners, that basicly hide the cables to the tv, but it woudln't look very good. I woudlnt do it if i couldnt run the wires in the wall.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM

4,609 posts, read 8,207,121 times
I just did this for a 52" LCD. Since everything is run from the receiver, the only cable I needed to run was the AC and HDMI. Mount the bracket for the TV, most will have holes for cable, then simply cut a hole in the wall where the bracket is, and another below the component surface. You can simply fish the cable using a coat hanger, or actual fishing wire if you have access. The only caveat I read is that some walls have
a horizontal stud.... make sure you don't have one.. or if you do, you make adjustments. It would be bad if you made two holes in your wall and find out that there's a stud between them.

I got my bracket from Peerless. It was fairly inexpensive, and works like a charm. The only thing to consider is that metal studs are more complicated. Also, be sure the stud positions work with where you want to hang the TV. For instance, our TV is about 1" off center from where I wanted it simply because the studs did not match up. The bracket I got allowed for a 4" shift either side.... but as I said, we are still 1" off dead center.

As for the bracket, goto the site (i.e. peerlessindutries.com) and put in the TV you want to get the best solution. You can have it flat on the wall, angled down (if your TV is going to be higher than shoulder height when sitting), or even swing out if that's what you want.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:19 PM

3,350 posts, read 12,800,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
It’s time to upgrade the 10-year-old tube TV to a flat panel. I’m looking at a 42-47 inch LCD. I am comfortable researching models on my own. However, I have questions about mountings / stands

1) How hard is it to mount a TV oneself (assuming at least two people to help)? The cheapest I’ve been able to find professionally is around $300, and I don’t want to tack that on to the $1,000 to $1,500 I’m going to spend on the TV. Actually affixing the mount doesn’t seem terrible hard – just locate studs and drill the holes in the right spot? Anything else to be aware of?

2) But my main question is how do you hide the cables so they don’t run down front of the wall? I’m guessing cut a hole with a drywall saw and fish it down to a second hole near the floorboard. Do you run them through any sort of electrical box? Are their cable plate interfaces for the HDMI, component cables etc? Also, the wall I would mount it on is an external wall. I have heard that those walls tend to have more obstructions. Any hints for that?

3) What do you do with your components? It would be nice not to have to have a shelf right under the TV, both for asthetics and to free up a few feet of floor space.

If I went with a stand, any recommendations for a nice stand at a low price? The stands I liked again seemed overpriced – tacked on $250-$400 for some glass and metal.

Any final thoughts to sway me from one position to another. The stands seem easier. But a wall mount saves space and looks cooler at the expense of having to cut into walls, which I hate doing.
When we bought our first flat screen (a 50" Samsung that my wife just had to have) she decided she did not want to hang it on the wall. We paid about $1800. for that T.V. The entertainment center that she had to put it in have cost over $5000. We have subsequently purchased 3 more flat screens for various rooms in our home. They all are wall mounted (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me ) and it's really not a big deal to do it as others have told you. You can hide your components almost anywhere but just be warned that long runs of HDMI and A/V cables can get mighty expensive. Todays technology allows you to control all of your components with one remote even if they are no where next to your T.V. but again it is a bit costly. I get a lot of my cables and stuff from hdtvsupply.com You may surprised at the difference in price as compared to a chain electronics store. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics