U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 04:56 PM

39 posts, read 42,349 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the posts. But I'm looking for traditional over-the-head headphones. Not in-ear, ear buds or remote.

I hope someone could suggest the best numbers range on the box for headphones with clear human voices down to clear bass without sounding either tinny (high sounds) or muffled echo chamber (bass sounds).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 PM

9,054 posts, read 6,389,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLite View Post
Thanks for the posts. But I'm looking for traditional over-the-head headphones. Not in-ear, ear buds or remote.

I hope someone could suggest the best numbers range on the box for headphones with clear human voices down to clear bass without sounding either tinny (high sounds) or muffled echo chamber (bass sounds).

Thanks!
Are you talking about frequency response specs? If so, they're nearly meaningless as to how they will sound to you. That is true with speakers - and much more so with headphones.

Again, you won't find a better sounding headphone for anything close to the price of the Koss KTXPRO1. They will amaze you.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:37 PM

14,370 posts, read 21,043,726 times
Default Here you go

Sennheiser HD 800 - Dynamic Stereo Headphones - High End - Around Ear

"These headphones are top-of-the line audio technology at its finest. Hand assembled in Germany with top quality materials and using the largest transducers ever, these provide an unmatched natural listening experience."

Old 08-15-2015, 09:00 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,819,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Sennheiser HD 800 - Dynamic Stereo Headphones - High End - Around Ear

"These headphones are top-of-the line audio technology at its finest. Hand assembled in Germany with top quality materials and using the largest transducers ever, these provide an unmatched natural listening experience."
I am sure OP can find something here for his liking. Although spend a little more then $50, look to spend $50-$100. It's worth the money
Over Ear Headphones - Sennheiser

Old 08-21-2015, 03:05 PM

39 posts, read 42,349 times
Thanks to everyone for the helpful posts. The suggestions are great guides. I'll check out the recommended headphones.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:32 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,958,754 times
Don't know what you're going to find for $30, but the Sony Studio Monitors are referred to the best quality headphones for the price.

Amazon.com: Sony MDRV6 Studio Monitor Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil: Electronics

They are regularly available for under $60.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:54 AM

823 posts, read 1,323,948 times
I agree Sennheiser provides the best sound and comfort by far. Don't enjoy too much; I'm 'bout three quarters deaf today by the abuse I went thru in my younger days. (concerts, headphones, target practice / gunfire, compressed air) and you can't get it back...

Old 08-27-2015, 12:55 AM

4,969 posts, read 2,689,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Don't know what you're going to find for $30, but the Sony Studio Monitors are referred to the best quality headphones for the price.

Amazon.com: Sony MDRV6 Studio Monitor Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil: Electronics

They are regularly available for under $60.
Yeah, the Sony V6's (or MDR7506, really the same unit) are the gold standard in production work. Sturdy, comfy and the sound is pretty much reference monitor quality. In other words, very little coloration added or subtracted. Whatever the source material you input is what you will be hearing untainted.

If you're interested in saving a few bucks Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones have something of a following as a value play. Unlike the Sony's which are closed phones, they are Semi-open, something in-between an open Sennheiser-type and the Sony's. They are essentially knock-offs of AKG 240's, a very common headphone found in recording studios. They cost around $45.

Prior to retiring I worked in production, own both the Sony's and the Superlux (as well as a box full of headphones used over the years) and have no hesitation recommending either one.

EDIT: Oh my, I almost forgot about the beloved Grado-SR80's. Something of an acquired taste, but they do sound sweet. Play the extra $30 to get the 80's rather than the 60's. Biggest problem with Grados is lots of folks hate the way the feel (they do need to be 'broken in'), styling looks like a 1930's shortwave radio headphone and the cord is awful. Still, crazy good sound comes out of those things.

Last edited by take57; 08-27-2015 at 01:04 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 06:25 PM

9,794 posts, read 18,745,886 times
I am looking for decent & inexpensive stereo headphones for my old stereo. Which is better, JVC HAV570 or JVC HA-X580 ?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:22 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,768,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I am looking for decent & inexpensive stereo headphones for my old stereo. Which is better, JVC HAV570 or JVC HA-X580 ?
There are tons of reviews for these on Amazon.

But for less than $20, I'd go with these Monoprice: Premium Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone - Monoprice.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or