U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 06:56 PM

39 posts, read 42,374 times

Advertisements

Hi! My older stereo radio doesn't work with headphones that have all the new little buttons -- microphone button, I-pod button ... you name it. I've bought two older headphones at thrift stores. I prefer the ones with sponge earpads (so I can replace them if needed) and not too large because I listen in bed.

But one of the headphones (which is larger than I prefer) seems muffled -- sounds like it's for a blaster radio to get all the deep base. But my stereo radio has its own "more bass" button. The smaller one (good size) just gets the high notes and sounds like a bad phone connection.

Any ideas for a store-bought pair of good mid-range music headphones for my older stereo radio under $30 bucks?

Thanks. I broke my good pair and miss the nice radio sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 04:37 AM

9,088 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLite View Post
Hi! My older stereo radio doesn't work with headphones that have all the new little buttons -- microphone button, I-pod button ... you name it. I've bought two older headphones at thrift stores. I prefer the ones with sponge earpads (so I can replace them if needed) and not too large because I listen in bed.

But one of the headphones (which is larger than I prefer) seems muffled -- sounds like it's for a blaster radio to get all the deep base. But my stereo radio has its own "more bass" button. The smaller one (good size) just gets the high notes and sounds like a bad phone connection.

Any ideas for a store-bought pair of good mid-range music headphones for my older stereo radio under $30 bucks?

Thanks. I broke my good pair and miss the nice radio sound.
These are the best there is at anything near the price. Do a search on KTXPRO1 and you'll find several sources at discounted prices.

KTXPRO1 On-Ear Headphones | On-ear Headphones | Koss

Old 08-15-2015, 04:53 AM

38,690 posts, read 90,197,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
These are the best there is at anything near the price. Do a search on KTXPRO1 and you'll find several sources at discounted prices.

KTXPRO1 On-Ear Headphones | On-ear Headphones | Koss
Seconded. And you can probably get 'em a good 10 bucks cheaper on Amazon. They don't sound great but there is nothing in that price range that compares; and if you find something that does, chances are it's another Koss product.

There is a volume slider built into the cord that is both a major convenience and a weak spot, as one of the channel wires is bound to come disconnected at the slider sooner or later, meaning you lose sound in one ear. After going through three pair, I finally stepped up a rung or two to a pair of Sennheiser PX100-IIs. They cost over twice as much but they sound better and have proven to be more durable.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:21 PM

9,088 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Seconded. And you can probably get 'em a good 10 bucks cheaper on Amazon. They don't sound great but there is nothing in that price range that compares; and if you find something that does, chances are it's another Koss product.

There is a volume slider built into the cord that is both a major convenience and a weak spot, as one of the channel wires is bound to come disconnected at the slider sooner or later, meaning you lose sound in one ear. After going through three pair, I finally stepped up a rung or two to a pair of Sennheiser PX100-IIs. They cost over twice as much but they sound better and have proven to be more durable.
I agree about the (lack of) durability. I'm probably on my 6th or 7th pair, but that's over 20+ years including the previous versions that Radio Shack branded and sold. That's where I discovered them. But yeah, the cord won't stand up to very much accidental strain.

But don't sound great? The great sound produced by their titanium element is their best feature! I've never heard a headphone that sounded better - and most are not as good. Of course, sound quality is subjective and in the ear and mind of the listener.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:53 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,197,354 times
There's no doubt they punch well above their price range, but they lack clarity especially in lower frequencies. IMO it sounds like they were going a bit more for quantity vs quality at the low end. But bass notes in particular are definitely muddy compared to higher-end units.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:41 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,656,019 times
I'm quite happy with my Bose headphones

I have these in black:

https://www.bose.com/products/headph...eadphones.html

No buttons, no switches just great sound...

Old 08-15-2015, 02:51 PM

39 posts, read 42,374 times
Thanks for the ideas. I'm not "technical" -- what numbers range should I look for on the box specs at the store?

I want traditional over-the-head headphones (not on-ear or ear buds) that sound like normal human voices at the high end (not squeaky like a transistor radio) and normal bass at the low end (not excessive or muffled like an echo chamber).

My older stereo radio has its own bass button if I want more bass. The newer headphones have buttons (like for iPod and microphone) that make those headphones unusable on my older stereo.

I really think the range on the boxes could be my best guide if I know what to look for. Thanks again!

Last edited by HiLite; 08-15-2015 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-15-2015, 03:52 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
I am happy with these below, had em for over 2 years, but I generally like this manufacturer for all headphones. I bet you that for like $50 you can find headphones from this manufacturer that you will really enjoy These guys make good headphones though. I have a pair of wireless for late night TV watching, and they are reviewed as being better then Bose You have no idea how many times a door bell on TV was mistaken for a real one while wearing these.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PMX...band+Headphone

Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 PM

These are my old headphones, they hurt years if worn for to long.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-NB-HB-2...TKXG6YDTWJ3MQJ

Old 08-15-2015, 04:00 PM

their Ultra soft silicon caps kept falling out and getting lost. I got sick and tired of having to worry about their "their Ultra soft silicon caps"

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHQ420...TKXG6YDTWJ3MQJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or