U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:09 PM

102 posts, read 65,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I have heard about it but never really knew about it. Does your sound quality suffer when you do that?
Depends on how many times you encode the audio. If you're an audiophile and care about quality chances are you might not want to encode the music you already have.

I use to have all my music at 320kbps bit rate and then when I soon found myself out of space on my iPod Classic. I soon started encoding my music in VBR Variable Bit Rate instead of CBR Constant Bit Rate.

Again if you don't care much about the quality of the music and just want to enjoy it while jogging then try encoding it into a lower quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 07:23 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,819,717 times
Quote:
I have one and already thought of that and rejected it for one simple reason: data. The problem is that walking or jogging in the neighborhood outside the boundaries of my Wi-Fi connection is going to start eating data. I get 5GB per month but a smartphone constantly playing music will eat the hell out of that data.

I have an 8 gig chip in my cell phone for MP3, the phone has additional 8gigs of memory on it's own. I don't listen to radio so I can't say for sure. But I am sure there is a way to get radio through your phone without being hit with a data fee.

I did a general search and found tons of links like this and cell phones that come with radio receivers.
Americans can now listen to FM radio on their cell phone - for free | USC Annenberg Center on Communication Leadership & Policy

Before smart phones we used stuff like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Player-V.../dp/B00AF40U5G

Last edited by DPolo; 08-23-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 09:44 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBear View Post
Depends on how many times you encode the audio. If you're an audiophile and care about quality chances are you might not want to encode the music you already have.
There is two things that are going to affect quality, it's always best to encode from the highest quality source possible.

---------------------------
This:
CD>>128Kbps

Will always retain more of the original audio that this:
CD>>320Kbps>>128KbpsMP3

If you want to visualize this is .jpg that has been opened, had a red oval added, saved, closed and repeat. See how they get progressively better to the left:

The bitrate itself will affect quality, the lower the bitrate the smaller the file you will produce. It's also compressed more so the quality is less.
This:
CD >> 320Kbps

Will always retain more of the original audio that this:
CD >> 128Kbps

The best thing to do and I wish I had done this years ago is rip them to lossless format like FLAC or WMA lossless. That's exact copy of what is on the CD, use that for sources to encode to whatever bitrate you desire.

Quote:
I use to have all my music at 320kbps bit rate and then when I soon found myself out of space on my iPod Classic. I soon started encoding my music in VBR Variable Bit Rate instead of CBR Constant Bit Rate.
Typically with variable bitrate it's actually an average bitrate and can produce a better quality compared to constant bitrate. Suppose you select 256Kbps as your target, the encoder can allocate up too 320Kbps during complex parts of the track and lower below 256Kbps where it's not needed. The file sizes are going to be comparable constant. This takes longer too encode becsue it does two passes, the first pass is to analyze the track.

If you are working with 320Kbps that is the max for MP3, the encoder can only work on the lower end dropping bitrate hence the reason you are seeing smaller file sizes.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Give a modern smart phone a try
Quote:
I have one and already thought of that and rejected it for one simple reason: data. The problem is that walking or jogging in the neighborhood outside the boundaries of my Wi-Fi connection is going to start eating data. I get 5GB per month but a smartphone constantly playing music will eat the hell out of that data.
Buy the prepaid phone of your choice and don't activate it. It'll work just fine on wifi-only at home and you can listen to MP3s or the phone's radio away from home.

My Blu smartphone has FM radio built in. Here's a site that'll show you others.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The best thing to do and I wish I had done this years ago is rip them to lossless format like FLAC or WMA lossless. That's exact copy of what is on the CD, use that for sources to encode to whatever bitrate you desire.
When I was making my music smaller on my iPod I was using the lossless format. I backed up all my physical CDs to FLAC and have them on my external hard drive. So it was a lot easier for me to encode the music into VBR to save a lot of space. I was amazed when I replaced the 320 bit rate albums with V0 encodes and almost each album I saved about 30MB to 40MB of space. If the OP can do this then you can probably add a lot more music.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
No one ever heard of Sansa???

Sansa Fuze+ MP3 Player by SanDisk

The newest one is REALLY small:
http://www.sandisk.com/products/musi...yers/clip-jam/

and DoubleTwist Synch will synch your iTunes music.

https://www.doubletwist.com/

Anything else?

Old 08-24-2015, 11:08 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,059,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No one ever heard of Sansa???

Sansa Fuze+ MP3 Player by SanDisk

The newest one is REALLY small:
SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 Music/Audio Player with FM Radio Tuner

and DoubleTwist Synch will synch your iTunes music.

https://www.doubletwist.com/

Anything else?

The other confusing part for me is knowing what all a player is compatible with. Can it accept music purchased through Amazon? Can it accept music purchased through ITunes? It looks like that SanDick Clip Jam apparently can. 8GB of storage wouldn't work for me, though.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:20 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
8GB** internal storage, with a microSD™ card slot

Old 08-24-2015, 12:36 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,213,438 times
Quote:
The other confusing part for me is knowing what all a player is compatible with. Can it accept music purchased through Amazon? Can it accept music purchased through ITunes? It looks like that SanDick Clip Jam apparently can. 8GB of storage wouldn't work for me, though.
All MP3 players accept music purchased through Amazon, since Amazon only sells MP3s.

Most modern MP3 players can also accept iTunes AAC files, but double check the description to make sure.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Curious how much music are you planning to store? On my old iPhone (with no data signal) I was able to store about 2 days of music at a VBR of 192kbps which still sounded decent while listening to through my earbuds. Like people say most of Amazon music is unprotected MP3 format while iTunes is in a AAC format and most devices will eventually play them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics