U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:02 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,059,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBear View Post
Curious how much music are you planning to store? On my old iPhone (with no data signal) I was able to store about 2 days of music at a VBR of 192kbps which still sounded decent while listening to through my earbuds. Like people say most of Amazon music is unprotected MP3 format while iTunes is in a AAC format and most devices will eventually play them.

I currently have around 2,200 songs on my ITunes account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
I have 2900 songs = 19GB.

Did I mention this:
SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 Music/Audio Player with FM Radio Tuner

and this:
This ultra-small wearable music player offers 8GB** storage, and comes with a built-in microSD™ card slot1 so you can add even more songs or audiobooks.

And this:
Simply drag, drop and play the tunes you want to hear—whether they’re MP3, WMA (no DRM), AAC (DRM-free iTunes), and Audible (DRM only). The Clip Jam™ player is your own personal DJ.

or this if you aren't using DRM-FREE iTunes which will synch the Sansa RIGHT from iTunes:
https://www.doubletwist.com/desktop

Starting at a cost of $36.00:
Amazon.com: Sandisk 8GB Clip Jam MP3 Player (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories

Add an extra $14.00:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Adapte...words=Micro+SD

For a grand total of $50. A $50 solution for a 40GB Music Player about the size of a Zippo lighter from a well known established brand.

Are you seriously still unsure about this?

Old 08-27-2015, 03:01 PM

4,969 posts, read 2,689,134 times
Good call Peregrine. I've been a devoted owner of a Sandisk Zip Clip (Rockboxed) and I've done wore it out. Sadly Sandisk no longer makes the ZIP anymore and those that are available for sale have turned into black market gold. I've got a Jam arriving any day now and while they put the kebosh on Rockboxing, it still appears to be quite a good product, particularly for the money.

One thing to the OP to consider (and I don't know if it's important to them or not) is if they need some manner of tactile control. In other words, can you operate the unit by feel alone. I've always appreciated using a player that I didn't need to look at to Play/FF/Pause/adjust volume on. Touch screens are nice, buttons are better IMOHO. I travel quite a lot and nothing's better than pulling out a pocket size package, clipping the Sandisk on the airline seat pouch in front of me, inserting the IEM's and ignoring the madness surrounding me.

In short, you're right. Sandisk is a pretty swell product.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
I just GAVE AWAY my Sansa Fuze (RB'ed) to someone who has no clue what RB is. I wish I could have given it to you, now.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:36 AM

4,969 posts, read 2,689,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I just GAVE AWAY my Sansa Fuze (RB'ed) to someone who has no clue what RB is. I wish I could have given it to you, now.
Doh ! Thanks for the good intentions anyway.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:41 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,570,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
The other confusing part for me is knowing what all a player is compatible with. Can it accept music purchased through Amazon? Can it accept music purchased through ITunes? It looks like that SanDick Clip Jam apparently can. 8GB of storage wouldn't work for me, though.
Take a look at the Sony NWZ-A10 Walkman (or A15 or A17) - has an FM tuner and can play just about any format of music files (except DSD). The only difference between the A10, 15 and 17 is internal memory (8, 16 or 64 gb), however, all have a slot for a Micro sd card, so you can expand your storage greatly (64gb card will run you around $30 or so and a 128 GB card can be had for around $60-$70).

The only thing I cannot comment on is music purchased through iTunes. I've never owned an Apple-brand music player so I've never used iTunes. They may work just fine, or they may need to be converted to another format.

I would suggest browsing the forums over at head-fi.org - you should be able to find a lot of answers there to just about any question that you might have.

Personally, I use a Fiio X3 as my portable player. Amazing sound, but the UI could use some fine tuning. No radio feature though.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,570,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Give a modern smart phone a try
A lot of new dedicated DAPs out there have a much better sound stage / sound quality than any smart phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBear View Post
Could always encode your music into lower bit rates, I know it sounds annoying and a chore but it lets you pack more music.
But who wants to listed to heavily-lossy music? Blech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes it will especially when the source is already MP3 however with portable players the difference should be negligible.
I would disagree, the difference between, say, an .mp3 file ripped at 128Kbps is going to sound noticieably different than one at 256 or 320 Kbps, especially on most modern DAPs (I won't even mention lossless formats, although the difference between, say a .flac file and a 320 mp3 is probably going to be much less noticable than 320 vs 128).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Buy the prepaid phone of your choice and don't activate it. It'll work just fine on wifi-only at home and you can listen to MP3s or the phone's radio away from home.
Depends on how attuned one is to the quality of one's music. The DAC chips in a prepaid phone are going to be very cheap ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics