Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times

Advertisements

TIVO is GREAT! A 140 hour recorder came with our AT&T U-Verse account and I can watch one thing, record something else (up to three other programs), record program series, search for an actors name or title to record, just about anything I want. It even records in high-def.

I hardly ever watch live tv anymore; it is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:44 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Why pay for a subscription service when you can just buy a DVD tuner/recorder with a hard drive? Many companies make them, no subscription service necessary.

Check here for some top models:

DVD Recorders - Current Top Picks for DVD Recorders
We have a DVD recorder. The discs are expensive and in no time at all no longer work when you record much at all. You cannot record and watch another tv program at the same time. You cannot record more than 1 program at a time either.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
TIVO is GREAT! A 140 hour recorder came with our AT&T U-Verse account and I can watch one thing, record something else (up to three other programs), record program series, search for an actors name or title to record, just about anything I want. It even records in high-def.

I hardly ever watch live tv anymore; it is wonderful.
Who do you have your TV through? Is it Comcast?

I know I can't live without Tivo. I would LOVE to have one with the larger hard drive like that. When I have more money, I am going to buy an HD Tivo that I can use with Directv.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
We have Dish Network and have a DVR that is a dual recorder. It is one unit that sits in the basement, but goes to not only that tv but the one in our bedroom as well. So we can record two shows at a time, or one show records while we watch another.
Same concept as tivo - just Dish Networks version.
Can't imagine watching tv any other way.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I rent/lease Comcast digital cable with a HD dual-tuner DVR. I love it. I only wish it could hold more HD recordings. It has a 120 GB hard drive which will hold up to an estimated 90 hours of standard digital TV or 12–20 hours of HDTV. I wish it would hold more. Here's the unit I have. I'd rather rent so that if something goes wrong, I just take the unit to the local cable store and get another one. Plus, the technology is changing so rapidly, I don't want to buy something that will be outdated in a year.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I rent/lease Comcast digital cable with a HD dual-tuner DVR. I love it. I only wish it could hold more HD recordings. It has a 120 GB hard drive which will hold up to an estimated 90 hours of standard digital TV or 12–20 hours of HDTV. I wish it would hold more. Here's the unit I have. I'd rather rent so that if something goes wrong, I just take the unit to the local cable store and get another one. Plus, the technology is changing so rapidly, I don't want to buy something that will be outdated in a year.
Check with the manufacturer of your unit. Tivo has the ability to install a larger hard-drive inside the unit OR purchase an external unit for MORE memory. It looks alot like an external hard drive you might purchase for your lap top. I have heard this about HD programming that it takes up alot of space.

You might find some techno geek in your area and find out if there is someone who can install the hard drive for you, of course it will void the warranty.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Well after posting this thread, looking online, and speaking with Direct TV today, I bought a used Direct TV HD DVR receiver with TIVO on Ebay today. Get this...with Direct TV you can lease (not buy) a receiver that is not HD for 100 + 20 shipping or an HD receiver for 200 + 20 shipping. You MUST sign a 2 yr. contract to keep subscribing to the TIVO for 2 years. The cost for the TIVO is $6 a mo for non-HD and 10 a mo. for HD for the TIVO. OR you can do what I did, find a new or used one on Ebay or Amazon and NOT have to have a contract and just pay the monthly fee and pay $20 to get an access card. They said if you were even able to buy a new HD receiver from the it would be over $700! You have to sign a 2 yr. contract and do not even own the receiver. For $140 I bought a receiver that has the access card so I only pay $6 a mo. and no contract. No brainer as far as I can see!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Well after posting this thread, looking online, and speaking with Direct TV today, I bought a used Direct TV HD DVR receiver with TIVO on Ebay today. Get this...with Direct TV you can lease (not buy) a receiver that is not HD for 100 + 20 shipping or an HD receiver for 200 + 20 shipping. You MUST sign a 2 yr. contract to keep subscribing to the TIVO for 2 years. The cost for the TIVO is $6 a mo for non-HD and 10 a mo. for HD for the TIVO. OR you can do what I did, find a new or used one on Ebay or Amazon and NOT have to have a contract and just pay the monthly fee and pay $20 to get an access card. They said if you were even able to buy a new HD receiver from the it would be over $700! You have to sign a 2 yr. contract and do not even own the receiver. For $140 I bought a receiver that has the access card so I only pay $6 a mo. and no contract. No brainer as far as I can see!
While I am a commited Directv person, their DVRs SUCK !! I have been a customer long enough that they offered to give me one free. I went through three of them in like 2 months because the ones they sent me didn't work. I finally gave up and got one from Ebay. You will LOVE it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics