U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,423,482 times

Advertisements

First we had a VCR we use to record with. One by one they broke and no one seems to repair them anymore. Then we got a DVD Recorder. We have satellite tv so we cannot record one show and watch another at the same time. I have noticed on one or two nights there are like 2 or 3 shows on at the same time we like. I have wondered about TIVO. Can you live anywhere and use it? Can you record more than one thing at a time? Can you watch something else while recording on a different channel? Can you record more than one channel at a time? I believe there is a monthly fee. What are the total costs for TIVO. Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 AM

10,739 posts, read 32,122,348 times
I LOVE Tivo but one thing you have to know is Directv no longer sells Tivo units and the now ones can't be used to record two channels at the same time.

I have two of the older units that can but not Directv and Dishnetwork both sell their own DVRs and I highly recommend them.

I have two Tivo units in the house, one for my daughter and one in the living room plus I have a regular tuner in my bedroom so if there is a third program I want to watch, I can watch it live in my room while two programs are recording in my living room.

Personally I believe Tivo is a superior product to the Directv DVR but unless you are willing to purchase a used Tivo via Ebay or some other source or I actually did find a place that sells factory refurbished Directv Tivo units, you will have to deal with the Directv DVRs.

I rarely watch live TV anymore, its a dream to be able to record them onto the hard disc inside Tivo, I can fastforward through the commericals and the boring parts of whatever program I am recording.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM

3,632 posts, read 14,787,305 times
I too LOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE Tivo! It's so hard to watch TV without it. I have the double tuner one so you can record two programs at the same time. i got mine on HSN and got 3 months free service. It's practically the same price though through tivo themselves. The service I believe is $13/month. Check out their website.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 PM

So I would need to find a used or refurbished TIVO that was from Direct TV and records 2 shows at the same time? Once I buy it used then do I contact Direct TV or Tivo about beginning service? Can I watch a different show on the tv while 2 things are being recorded?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
So I would need to find a used or refurbished TIVO that was from Direct TV and records 2 shows at the same time? Once I buy it used then do I contact Direct TV or Tivo about beginning service? Can I watch a different show on the tv while 2 things are being recorded?
If you currently have Directv, then yes, you can go and purchase a used one, I paid like $35 for one that has the smaller hard drive. If you have the money, I highly recommend buying one with the larger hard drive which might be as much as twice what I paid. You have to have two coax lines comeing from your satelite dish and a phone line. Tivo downloads its software updates via this phone line. You do indeed call Directv, just advise them you have purchased a used Tivo and they will have to send you a new card that goes in the Tivo (looks like a credit card). Once you get this card, you hook up the machine and call them to activate the card.

You don't have to contact Tivo, just call Directv.

If you have service say through a cable company, you can purchase the new ones and they are pretty cool. They have way to hook them all up wirelessly so they communicate and a program that is saved in the living room can be watched in the one you have in your bedroom.

I am hoping that Directv and Tivo will repair their relationship but so far, they have not taken that step, there are sounds of it but I'm waiting.

When you do a search on ebay, make sure you put both words Directv and Tivo in the search field because they are units by Tivo that can't be used with Directv.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Thanks for all the info. If I get 2 used TIVO's do I pay twice the amount per mo.? I am going to look into seeing if I can find a used one or two. How large is the larger sized drives?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Thanks for all the info. If I get 2 used TIVO's do I pay twice the amount per mo.? I am going to look into seeing if I can find a used one or two. How large is the larger sized drives?
You pay the same $5 fee per month, no matter how many Tivos you have, you will however have to pay extra for the tuners. The fee of $5 goes to Tivo for the program guide.

I think the larger hard drive is like 95 hours or something like that. Check them out on Ebay. They even have the HD ones.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,970,889 times
Why pay for a subscription service when you can just buy a DVD tuner/recorder with a hard drive? Many companies make them, no subscription service necessary.

Check here for some top models:

DVD Recorders - Current Top Picks for DVD Recorders

Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,745,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Why pay for a subscription service when you can just buy a DVD tuner/recorder with a hard drive? Many companies make them, no subscription service necessary.
One of the nice things about TiVO (and the ReplayTV unit which I still use) is the fact that the subscription services provide a lot of additional information besides a plain vanilla schedule for each channel and basic searching facilities.

I can easily obtain a list of all Football-related shows, for example, by going to Zones->Sports->Football, or cult classic scifi movies in Zones->Movies->SciFi->Cult. The ReplayTV subscription service precategorizes everything into a large collection of "Zones" by topic, making it very easy to locate shows which appeal to special interests.

I bought a lifetime membership when I purchased my ReplayTV 5040 back in 2003, and it has been worth every penny.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post

Check here for some top models:

DVD Recorders - Current Top Picks for DVD Recorders
There is a HUGE difference because I can do a search for example on my favorite actor and Tivo will record automatically everything that actor is in, OR director or even keyword.

If my favorite program lets say Medium changes nights and I am not aware of it, Tivo is aware and records it where ever it shows up. I can tell it to record re-runs of Law and Order and the new ones or tell it to only record the first run ones instead.

It can record two programs at once while your watching a third one from the hard drive.

If you don't know what you want to watch, you can turn on the suggestions feature and it will record programs it thinks you might like based on the programs you have on season pass.

At a time like this, when my regular shows are showing re-runs due to the writers strike, I watch alot of other shows. For example I like to watch things about Forensic Science. I have my wish list set up to record anything Dr. Michael Baden is in, he is a forensic pathologist.

It is honestly like having a butler on duty to make sure anything you want is recorded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics