U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 04:06 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,722,820 times

Advertisements

I put this same message and the "music" board on City-Data, but it occurs to me that this was the wrong place to put it. So I am repeating myself by putting it here. Anyone know about this?

I have a set of JBL speakers, model 4311B, with stands. (24" tall, 30" on the stands) I know nothing about this, but I am assuming that these vintage speakers could be replaced with something more compact, not as heavy, but of comparable quality. Is that a correct assumption? Should I sell these and try to obtain updated speakers? This is just for one's living room, not a concert venue.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 04:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
You have some very nice speakers. A variation of the JBL-L100, I believe, which was a very popular speaker back in the early 70s. The "West Coast" sound. I think they were around $300 or so, each, back then, which should be like spending $6000 for a pair of speakers today. Anyway, assuming they're in good shape, I wouldn't get rid of them. You could probably sell them for $600, but then what? Unless you're going to spend considerably more than that, you might not be getting anything so nice.

But if you do want smaller speakers, try the KEF LS-50. $1499 a pair.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:20 PM

14,924 posts, read 22,809,390 times
I said about the same thing in the other thread but recommended Klipsch while he either sells the jbls to me, or keeps them.

Instead of spending 1500 for a pair of speakers, I recommend keeping those and acquiring a couple of refurbished Dynaco Mark III tube amps, but hey, that's just my opinion.

I've never spent over 250.00 for a pair of speakers.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-25-2015 at 10:42 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 11:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I said about the same thing in the other thread but recommended Klipsch while he either sells the jbls to me, or keeps them.

Instead of spending 1500 for a pair of speakers, I recommend keeping those and acquiring a couple of refurbished Dynaco Mark III tube amps, but hey, that's just my opinion.

I've never spent over 250.00 for a pair of speakers.
It's easy to get carried away these days, that's for sure. I used to have some JBL-L100 back in 1972-1973, but sold them. After that, I never really spent much on speakers, as I was always in school or moving around. Stereo equipment wasn't my priority. I could barely afford my school tuition. Today I have some nice stuff, but still, nothing over $2200 a pair, which is basically nothing. I have some KEF-LS50s, some Magnepan 1.7s, and some B&W 805s. After I move, I might buy some Magnepan 3.7is, if I can somehow convince myself that spending $6000 on a pair of speakers is a good idea.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:33 PM

I had no idea that new speakers would be that expensive. Maybe I should just hold onto my JBLs...

I am also looking to sell some Dynaco components. I don't know if they have tubes, but I think they would be from the 70s. (Dynaco Sterio 400 amp, Dynaco Pat-5 pre-amp, etc.) My husband was an audio engineer, and built the Dynaco kits, dealt with all the components, so I never had to think about things like that. Now he is gone, and I'm dabbling in things that are a mystery to me.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:51 PM

14,924 posts, read 22,809,390 times
Yikes. It's all relative. Those audiophiles live in a world of their own.

I like vintage stuff. I acquired a pair of Kenwood L -09Ms from my brother for 165.00 back in 1993. That's what it cost me to get them from the pawn shop.

I have purchased a number of speakers from my local consignment store. I paid 200 for a pair of Pioneer hpm -100s, 150 for a pair of Marantz Imperial 7s, 150 for a pair of Wharfedale 160s, 250 for a pair of Klipsch mmt towers, etc.

My brother made me a pair of Meadowlark type speakers using vifa drivers.

My Mark IIIs are using a Pas 2 preamp, and two sets of old Fisher speakers, wired in parallel.

Now, my Fisher 400 tube amp integrated receiver sounded pretty nice driving those Fisher speakers, at 30wpc. It just didn't have that Wow factor... until I hooked the Klipsch up to it. Now that Fisher whales.

My Kenwood L09s are using a Marantz 2275 as a preamp. They are currently driving a pair of Imperial 7s and a pair of Wharfedale 160s wired up in parallel.

The other day, a friend of mine came over to listen to my stereos. He was impressed with the power and dynamic range of the solid state system, the Kenwood system. But the Dynaco Mark IIIs really blew him away.

Those tube amps just have a way of massaging your brain. It's hard to describe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I had no idea that new speakers would be that expensive. Maybe I should just hold onto my JBLs...

I am also looking to sell some Dynaco components. I don't know if they have tubes, but I think they would be from the 70s. (Dynaco Sterio 400 amp, Dynaco Pat-5 pre-amp, etc.) My husband was an audio engineer, and built the Dynaco kits, dealt with all the components, so I never had to think about things like that. Now he is gone, and I'm dabbling in things that are a mystery to me.
Sorry to hear about your husband's passing. He has my taste.

It would be nice if you could find an audiophile who could come over and help you set that stuff up. Perhaps you could keep it or sell it on eBay.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Well, I have moved now, and there is no way that I have room for the JBL speakers. I also have CTW stereo cabinets with black glass fronts in great condition, but no room. I think I have to get rid of it all somehow. The size of my living room doesn't warrant such nice speakers anyway. The idea of getting an audiophile over to help me with this is a good one. Now if I could just find such a person.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:17 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,745,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Well, I have moved now, and there is no way that I have room for the JBL speakers. I also have CTW stereo cabinets with black glass fronts in great condition, but no room. I think I have to get rid of it all somehow. The size of my living room doesn't warrant such nice speakers anyway. The idea of getting an audiophile over to help me with this is a good one. Now if I could just find such a person.
What is your budget for speakers? For amp/receiver? Would you like a subwoofer too? What are you using this for? Music? Movies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or