U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 AM

5,370 posts, read 11,275,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Without a long explanation, the difference is that you should buy choice A.

The mini system is for people who want convenience, don't have much room, and don't want to think.
Now you are saying that people who do not have room are people who do not want to think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 11:26 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Now you are saying that people who do not have room are people who do not want to think ?
The mini systems aren't THAT much smaller. I guess the main reason people buy them is because it's easy. All in one box and no thinking required.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:15 PM

1,408 posts, read 1,587,075 times
any scientific audio quality differences between the 2 types?
THD, frequency-curves, noise-floor, etc...

Old 09-30-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
any scientific audio quality differences between the 2 types?
THD, frequency-curves, noise-floor, etc...
It's not about the "types." It's about the actual components. Perhaps they could construct a world class mini-hi-fi that would blow away everything else. You really do have to look at the actual choices you have. I'd say, though, as a general rule, it's better to stay away from the mini-systems.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Quote:
Buying one of the small systems in a box maybe simple, but you'll likely sacrifice sound quality.
I'm no audiophile but to be honest the Sony sytem I purchased similar to the one the OP linked too sounds fantastic.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Some people like to drag their stereos outside for backyard parties.
That's actually why I bought mine, I can just throw it in the box and take it too a party. It sits in the basement along side the rarely used pool table most of the time.

Quote:
Times have changed. For backyard parties I think you could now use powered Bluetooth speakers? Something like that. Or maybe just install some outdoor speakers.
It's very difficult to get volume and still have an atmosphere where you can talk without the sub, the Sony sytem can easily accommodate a very large party. I usually set it up 30 or 40 feet away from the main part of the party and turn it up.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm no audiophile but to be honest the Sony sytem I purchased similar to the one the OP linked too sounds fantastic.
The mini systems can sound good. I'm not going to argue that. I guess the question boils down to the alternatives. Let's say you're going to spend $xxxx. What are you getting for your money? My theory is that you can almost always do better piecing something together yourself. Look at used equipment, perhaps. Some of the used equipment you can find on Craigslist you ca buyer 15 cents on the dollar.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
The mini systems can sound good. I'm not going to argue that. I guess the question boils down to the alternatives. Let's say you're going to spend $xxxx. What are you getting for your money? My theory is that you can almost always do better piecing something together yourself. Look at used equipment, perhaps. Some of the used equipment you can find on Craigslist you ca buyer 15 cents on the dollar.
I understand what you are saying but also realize people have other interests, I have a $1500 computer that would have cost Joe Schmoe $2000+. I saved a huge amount putting it together myself. Most people don't need a $2000 computer nor are they going to put it together themselves.

When I bought that sytem I was specifically buying it for a party and for that it's perfect. I saved the box with styrofoam. I can pack or unpack it in about 5 minutes. I leave it in the basement otherwise, the nieces and nephews love it because it has a ipod dock. It also takes MP3 discs or input from any device with headphone jack making it very versatile, the only thing it's missing is built in wifi. Every sytem I was looking at with wifi was very small or very big.

If I get the time or inclination I may set up nicer sytem and if I was 20 again it would probably be a priority.

As far as CL goes there is some great deals there but I'm usually reluctant to buy any type of electronics used. You're rolling the dice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or