Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:32 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times

Advertisements

Whats the difference betwen component audio systems and micro-hifi?

For example

a) component system made of:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JR6GJLW/...1F9BRWNQ&psc=1
+
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NQU4YY/...I3IIG4SSB328IC
+
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q3MG05S/...=ICZSH7Y2VOM8P

b) integrated system:
Amazon.com: Sony LBT-GPX555 1800 Watt Mini system w/Bluetooth® & NFC: Electronics

The power rating for b is PMPO, the power rating for a is RMS, so my 2 examples above should have similar RMS power ratings, and also similar feature set and total price (around $400).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 04:58 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Without a long explanation, the difference is that you should buy choice A.

The mini system is for people who want convenience, don't have much room, and don't want to think.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Without a long explanation, the difference is that you should buy choice A.

The mini system is for people who want convenience, don't have much room, and don't want to think.
Is the sound quality that different?
I listen to metal music, as well as classical (Beethoven, Brahms...).

The component receivers I saw seem to only have a 2-band EQ (bass+treble), while the micro hifis seem to have graphic-eq with presets. Right now I listen to music on my phone and on my laptop, and I really make use of the 5-10-band graphic EQs.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post

The component receivers I saw seem to only have a 2-band EQ (bass+treble), while the micro hifis seem to have graphic-eq with presets. Right now I listen to music on my phone and on my laptop, and I really make use of the 5-10-band graphic EQs.
I believe the idea is you are altering the sound of the music with EQ and most purists don't like that. My cousin had $5K sytem and that was back in 90's, he had like 20 band EQ but they were all set in the middle.

I have similar Sony sytem you linked too, it has independent volume for the sub and honestly that is about all you need IMO. In systems without sub you don't have that option if you want bass.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:

There are all sorts of wonderful component combinations you could piece together, depending. And you don't have to spend a lot of money to get good sound. Buying one of the small systems in a box maybe simple, but you'll likely sacrifice sound quality.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:01 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Without a long explanation, the difference is that you should buy choice A
Some people like to drag their stereos outside for backyard parties. They also want to be able to pull them apart in a few minutes in case of rain.

If you want to do that I think that choice B makes much more sense.

If your intention is not to move the stereo very often than choice A will give you much more flexibility.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Some people like to drag their stereos outside for backyard parties. They also want to be able to pull them apart in a few minutes in case of rain.

If you want to do that I think that choice B makes much more sense.

If your intention is not to move the stereo very often than choice A will give you much more flexibility.
Times have changed. For backyard parties I think you could now use powered Bluetooth speakers? Something like that. Or maybe just install some outdoor speakers.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 PM

I went to Fry's todaya and asked the "guy" there.
He said they dont have any stereo receivers neither CD-players. I saw 4 different stereo or 2CH receivers and 3 different CD players on the shelves, 2 rows away but according to him they did not have any.
He says those 5.1 receivers (like my first link) are for home theather only and they dont have a stereo mode, so when I conenct only 2 speakers then I will hear something missing.
He showed me 2 types of systems for music, one was a $1500 Bose system with small one-piece speaker, and also showed me those integrated ones (like the one in my last link)
Any comemnt on this?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
The answer, buenos, lies in how you perceive music, listen to it, and what is important in the listening experience to you.

So it becomes a very personal situation within your budget.

What "works" for you in terms of convenience and audio/presentation qualities may be "awful" for another person.

Use you own ears for the music that you listen to and make your choice on what pleases you.

What you select is what you'll be listening to long after the salesman has gotten his paycheck for the day.

None of us on C-D ... or any other forum, for that matter ... hear music or value it's reproduction exactly as you do, hence we can only regale you with ravings about what works (or not) for us. But we're not the one spending the money or having to go home and listen to your audio system. Again, buy what sounds good to you.

Keep in mind that you don't listen to the "eye candy" and "bells and whistles" on the systems, you use your ears to listen to the system.

If having an equalizer or such gimmicks enhances your listening experience, so be it. If it doesn't add to your pleasure, then there's no need to buy such items.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
I went to Fry's todaya and asked the "guy" there.
He said they dont have any stereo receivers neither CD-players. I saw 4 different stereo or 2CH receivers and 3 different CD players on the shelves, 2 rows away but according to him they did not have any.
He says those 5.1 receivers (like my first link) are for home theather only and they dont have a stereo mode, so when I conenct only 2 speakers then I will hear something missing.
He showed me 2 types of systems for music, one was a $1500 Bose system with small one-piece speaker, and also showed me those integrated ones (like the one in my last link)
Any comemnt on this?
You most certainly can use the 5.1 receivers in stereo mode. Nothing will be "missing." The guy at Frys doesn't know what he's talking about. Usually, on the 5.1 receivers, you have a range of options. You can set the mode to stereo, surround with five speakers, or four four speakers with a phantom center channel, etc. It depends on the particular brand and model, but I've never seen one that couldn't play just stereo. But if you simply have to have a receiver that just plays in stereo, I'm sure you can find those as well. Just search online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics