U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:23 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times

Advertisements

Our reception at our house sucks. It's not just us, either. When we were having the house remodeled earlier this year the workers also reported dropped calls, poor signal strength, etc.

My question is this: Is there an antenna of some kind I could mount on the roof that would pick up cell signals, amplify them, and rebroadcast the signal? We've talked to Verizon about it and their solution is over priced and buggy from what I can tell so it's not an option.

We aren't going to change providers for a while so don't bother suggesting it. Not an option.

I appreciate any help, and if you think this post would be better placed in a different forum let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
Sometime you're just out of range. But if you have wi-fi, maybe there's a way you could use that to make calls? Google Voice, Skype, etc. Just get one of those numbers and tell all your friends.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:40 PM

18,511 posts, read 55,435,808 times
Yes but... Repeating has its own set of problems. Early cell phones & flip phones even have an external antenna jack.

If you do Straight Talk, you can get this Straight Talk Home Phone Connect Huawei H226C FT2260C Yagi Antenna 800 1900 MHz | eBay A short lead in is important, good placement is important, aiming is critical. You'll want to map your property with a phone, since hot spots are sometimes only an area of a few feet.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:01 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,515,542 times
They sell signal boosters but any that work decent would most likely be expensive, one option for you would be to put the phone where there is a decent signal, there must be a place near a window, on a window sill and maybe upstairs if you have an upstairs and then use a cordless phone made for cell phones such as

Panasonic KX-TG6582T DECT 6.0 PLUS Link-to-Cell via Bluetooth Cordless Phone with Answering System, Metallic Black, 2 Handsets, do a search for it at stores near you, they sell them at many large stores.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 PM

1,287 posts, read 984,786 times
I have a digital antenna booster with an 8 ft digital antenna and I get almost 50 miles range on my boat...I know they have those set ups for home. http://wilsonamplifiers.com. They offer 30 day trials to make sure their equipment works in your application.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:12 PM

Thank you. Too expensive.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:25 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Thank you. Too expensive.
I know that most cell companies will provide you with a booster free of charge (if you have a postpaid plan) to install in your home. What is your plan?

Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 AM

230 posts, read 297,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I know that most cell companies will provide you with a booster free of charge (if you have a postpaid plan) to install in your home. What is your plan?
I believe you are talking about a so called microcell, which differs from a booster. The microcell connects to your broadband Internet connection and actually routes your cell calls over the Internet, which means you get to pay for the bandwidth while the cell company gets a free ride.

A booster, on the other hand, receives the cell signal using an external antenna and retransmits it inside the dwelling using an inside antenna. The process is reversed for the signal going to the cell tower. It is a tricky technology as feedback can be an issue, since it is all done on the same frequency pairs, unlike a true radio repeater. For this reason, well made boosters are not cheap.

Wilson is the best know booster manufacturer and is a solid company. I use one of their units.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:26 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
I believe you are talking about a so called microcell, which differs from a booster.
Wilson is the best know booster manufacturer and is a solid company. I use one of their units.
Some companies give boosters, and not microcells. For instance Tmobile has a Cel-Fi Signal Boosters. I doubt very much that they are the same quality as a Wilson booster.

Companies have found that customers who receive a free boosters are much more likely to keep their contract for five or more years and to upgrade their service. They are less likely to switch to an MVNO. It makes the cost of the equipment a reasonable promotion cost.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:28 PM

Except Verizon rips you off.

I think we might be changing carriers when the contract expires. They don't seem to want our business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or