U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 10:30 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,590,239 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy a component audio set for music listening.
There is a weird thing I found on spec sheets of different receivers/amplifiers:
They define THD to be around 10x as much when using 6 Ohm speakers vs using 8 Ohm speakers. The problem is the test conditions are different.
They seem to only test them at max volume.
I would really like to know whether that 10x THD on the 6 Ohm speaker would go down to 1x when we set the volume to 66% (about the same output power as 100% volume on 8 Ohms) ? Or is it still 10x?
Basically how does the THD compare on 8 Ohm vs 6 Ohm @ fixed 65W power (not at their max powers of each)

Example specs:
Power Watts/Ch (6 Ohms 1kHz, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 110W, 0.9% THD
Power Watts/Ch (8 Ohms 20-20kHz, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 65W, 0.07% THD
missing:
Power Watts/Ch (6 Ohms 1kHz, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 65W, ???% THD

I would probably listen to the system around 15W, regardless of impedance, so I need to know whether one of the speaker options will be more distorted or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:43 AM

14,939 posts, read 22,828,284 times
Good questions. I don't have the means to answer that for you. I'm not well versed in audio technology, but I have my ears as a guide.

I'm not sure where you're deriving 6Ω. I understand that a lot of home consumer audio speakers have rated at 8Ω and 16Ω back in the day.

Would it be correct to assume that two 8Ω speakers wired in parallel would measure 4Ω ? And if so, at what frequencies or cpm?

Maybe 6Ω is a current technology. I'm more familiar with older audio equipment, such as old solid state, such as from 1974, or tube technology from the late 50s to early 60s.

All that being said, I'm interested in your line of questioning, such as wondering what the thd is at lower volumes. I'd also like to know what happens to thd when you have 200 or 400 or 800 wpc potentially, and listen to that at very low volumes, relatively speaking.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,874,537 times
As a general observation, I wouldn't be too concerned with specifications. Half the time they don't mean much. All you need to know is if the amplifier you're considering will drive the speakers you're considering. If the answer is yes, then read all the reviews you can about the equipment. Go listen to it if you can.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:40 PM

14,939 posts, read 22,828,284 times
My brother came out from Florida to see my mom who's been sick and had the opportunity to listen to my stereos.

He talked me into setting them all up properly. One set of speakers. No more in parallel. We also worked on setting the speakers forward and at the proper level.

Everything sounds so clear now and I don't have to crank the volume up so loud. It sounds so good very quiet to medium volume now.

I think my listening style just matured about 20 years this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics