U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 PM
 
4,752 posts, read 5,597,969 times
Reputation: 2329

Advertisements

What's the advantage of a USB battery charger that does not have a wall plug? In other words it can only charge via USB port, not wall outlet. I mean whenever I have USB port, I almost always have wall outlet, too, and wall charging is much faster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2015, 05:44 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,764,027 times
Reputation: 3435


USB plugs are more universal than chargers. With the plug you can charge up using anything that has a USB port. To charge from a wall outlet you will need a USB block that will plug into the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2015, 10:18 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,784,147 times
Reputation: 19664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
What's the advantage of a USB battery charger that does not have a wall plug? In other words it can only charge via USB port, not wall outlet. I mean whenever I have USB port, I almost always have wall outlet, too, and wall charging is much faster?

Just because it doesn't come with a wall plug, doesn't mean it can't plug into a USB wall charger.
You can charge in any place in the world with a USB port : computer, car, portable battery, some airplane seats, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2015, 08:28 PM
 
4,752 posts, read 5,597,969 times
Reputation: 2329
My point is:

1. Charging from wall outlet is much faster than from USB port of a computer.
2. (I think) wall outlets are easier to find than USB port.

Not trying to argue, just genuine question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2015, 09:45 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,603 posts, read 8,205,083 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
My point is:

1. Charging from wall outlet is much faster than from USB port of a computer.
2. (I think) wall outlets are easier to find than USB port.

Not trying to argue, just genuine question.
Different tools for different situations. When you said USB battery charger, I'm thinking of the usb battery packs.

But yes, charging directly from an outlet is preferred. However, if you don't have one handy, you can use the battery pack, or plug into a device that has power (e.g. laptop).

In all cases though, a USB cable is necessary. Even if you use a wireless charger, the charger itself would likely have a USB cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 08:15 AM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,764,027 times
Reputation: 3435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
My point is:

1. Charging from wall outlet is much faster than from USB port of a computer.
2. (I think) wall outlets are easier to find than USB port.

Not trying to argue, just genuine question.
Use the charging block.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...charging+block

Most manufacturers, save for Apple, are moving towards a universal standard - in part due to EU regulations. If the MFR made a USB cable with the wall charger attached you would then have to buy another plug or adapter if you want to use European outlets and then another USB to micro/mini USB cable to use with USB ports.

It's easier and probably cheaper to just have the cable and charging block separate, so you can use the cable to transfer data from the computer and charge with anything that has a USB port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Different tools for different situations. When you said USB battery charger, I'm thinking of the usb battery packs.

But yes, charging directly from an outlet is preferred. However, if you don't have one handy, you can use the battery pack, or plug into a device that has power (e.g. laptop).

In all cases though, a USB cable is necessary. Even if you use a wireless charger, the charger itself would likely have a USB cable.
That's what I thought of too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,915 posts, read 2,509,651 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
My point is:

1. Charging from wall outlet is much faster than from USB port of a computer.
2. (I think) wall outlets are easier to find than USB port.

Not trying to argue, just genuine question.
also,
1. corded phones dont require any charging
2. rj-11 cords are easier to find than usb.

whats the advantage of cell-fones if landlines are always plugged in ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top