U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,648,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Despite the thousands of free channels on Roku, the majority of owners pay for Netflix, Amazon, Vudu or British Acorn TV. To the best of my knowledge no cable company supports Roku as they do not have a cable Card slot.
Time Warner Cable has an app for the Roku.

How do I download the TWC TV® for Roku® app? | Time Warner Cable

It offers live and on-demand programming that is similar to what's available from TWC on a cable box, minus the pay-per-view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 10:58 AM

21,697 posts, read 24,106,174 times
TWC is always trying to sell me on their app for Roku but my TV can't handle it. It's funny because when I first had problems with my cable box this time around the tech on the phone kept telling me to unplug the box from my HDMI hookup. I kept telling her I didn't have one and that the cable box was plugged into the antenna in the back of the TV. It's even in the instructions for my TV set which I still have on where to plug in a cable box. She told me that couldn't be right. She kept calling it an HDMI hookup. I know what that is and I know what it looks like. She was completely flummoxed.

She wanted to see if my TV sound was working without the cable box. I told her that unhooking it would get us nowhere since my TV was analog and without a digital converter box all I would get would be static. She didn't get it. So I hit upon the idea of just sticking a DVD in my player to test sound and picture that way. It worked perfectly. So in no way could the problem have been with my TV.

The aggravating thing was I got three calls after that with more techs trying to walk me through the same procedures trying to "fix" the problem first adjusting their cable box then my TV. I refused the third, then gave in going through the directions before he gave them to me. He then got frustrated and hung up on me.

The tech who finally came to my house to test the box said, wonder of wonders, I had a defective cable box after doing the same stuff everyone else had done. He switched it out. All it took was a year and umpteen phone calls and going through the same reboots and adjustments over and over again.

Just another reason why I can't wait to get rid of TWC! As soon as the Roku people respond to my email and I know for sure as to whether or not "Old Faithful Toshiba," can support the Roku I device, TWC will get dumped. If not, I guess I'll just take my punishment with TWC until the TV dies a natural death or I get so fed up I buy a new one.

Sorry for the vent, everyone. I appreciate the help. I'll post back and let you know when I get a response from the Roku customer service.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:27 PM

11,387 posts, read 10,535,231 times
Did the Roku people ever get back to you?

The only bad thing about the old (classic version) Roku box is it doesn't allow some sites that the newer models do. For instance CBS used to be available on the older Roku boxes but since they changed to All Access, the station won't work on the classic Roku. Still, you can get a lot of channels. You might like Netflix. For $7.99 a month, you can watch tons of movies and TV shows and if you're not sure you want to subscribe, you can try it free for a month.

If you're still interested in acquiring one of classic versions of Roku, I have one sitting in the closet. I was going to sell it on eBay but I'd be happy to send it to you. It has the composite cables you need along with the remote, power adapter and instruction booklet. I'll even throw in a couple of AAA batteries for you. I hate it when I have a new toy but no batteries to operate it.

Let me know. You can dm me your address and I'll get it shipped out this week. Actually, you'd be doing me a favor. It will get one thing off that darned shelf in the closet without me having to go through the process of an eBay listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics