U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:07 PM

21,697 posts, read 24,104,260 times

Advertisements

So I am doing battle with Time Warner Cable that refuses to acknowledge they gave me a lemon cable box last year and is doing everything in their power to avoid replacing it.It's just gotten more and more troublesome. The day of reckoning will come on Friday when they will finally send out a repair guy out to see if it can be "fixed." Only if he can perform miracles.

Since my TV is 12 years old, it doesn't have an HDMI outlet so I didn't think I could get a device in which I could dump cable and use in its place. I can't get reception with an indoor antenna and a digital converter. The TV works perfectly and I really don't want to have to replace it.

Now, just for the heck of it, I looked online at Roku boxes. According to their website, Roku I supports old TV's like mine with what they call "composite cables." I didn't know what that was until I saw a picture. It looks like what was once called "RCA" plugs in the dinosaur days; red, white and yellow. In any event, I l have lots of outlets for those in back of my TV.

So if TWC refuses to replace my lemon of a cable box I would like dump them and try the Roku. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions? Good idea or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,874,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So I am doing battle with Time Warner Cable that refuses to acknowledge they gave me a lemon cable box last year and is doing everything in their power to avoid replacing it.It's just gotten more and more troublesome. The day of reckoning will come on Friday when they will finally send out a repair guy out to see if it can be "fixed." Only if he can perform miracles.

Since my TV is 12 years old, it doesn't have an HDMI outlet so I didn't think I could get a device in which I could dump cable and use in its place. I can't get reception with an indoor antenna and a digital converter. The TV works perfectly and I really don't want to have to replace it.

Now, just for the heck of it, I looked online at Roku boxes. According to their website, Roku I supports old TV's like mine with what they call "composite cables." I didn't know what that was until I saw a picture. It looks like what was once called "RCA" plugs in the dinosaur days; red, white and yellow. In any event, I l have lots of outlets for those in back of my TV.

So if TWC refuses to replace my lemon of a cable box I would like dump them and try the Roku. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions? Good idea or bad?
If you can find an old Roku box that supports those types of cables, why not? I cut my Comcast TV a few months ago and now just watch the local stations with an antenna plus whatever I can pick up with my smart TV, my Apply TV, and my Blu Ray player. Usually, I just use my smart TV to access my Amazon Prime account.

My only suggestion would be to use this opportunity to upgrade your TV. They're almost giving them away these days. You could ditch cable and use the extra money to buy a new TV.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:39 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,449,497 times
You should probably find out if Roku offers firmware updates for those old models (I'm betting they don't). If not, you won't have access to any of the newer services (e.g. Hulu, Youtube -- not a new service but it wasn't available on V1 of Roku), and, total guess here, but Netflix may not support the old Roku hardware anymore either.

So... your plan sounds like a possibility, but you should verify that the Roku box will work with the services you want to use.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:20 PM

9,592 posts, read 12,529,340 times
Roku manufactures a new version of the "1". Here's a link to their site Roku 1

Old 10-16-2015, 12:24 PM

Thank you both for the advice. I had a techie come out and replace my cable box. He tried to determine it was my TV by using every possible setting imaginable. I had been through that before. It was funny because my old reliable Toshiba has few settings due to the fact there just weren't many when it was made. Of course, it wasn't old Toshiba's fault. So he brought in a new cable box and voila! Problem solved.

So I will go with it but the first sign of trouble and I will look into the Roku.

Rabrrita, thank you for the link. I had already discovered it which is how I got the idea in the first place. I was thinking that maybe I could find someone here who had actually had my situation and had some experience with it. But it is helpful.

Scratchie, Good suggestion. I am only interested in HULU. I will see if I will be able to get a subscription. According to the Roku website I think I will be able to but I will find out for sure.

If the cable box holds up, I'll just wait until the Toshiba dies. I just don't want to replace something that works so well. When it goes, I'll be getting a new TV with all the bells and whistles and you can bet no more cable for me.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
You don't need an old Roku box to get one that will work with an old TV. You just need a model that will support A/V cables. According to this article at Roku, all of them do.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:42 PM

40,284 posts, read 41,836,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You don't need an old Roku box to get one that will work with an old TV. You just need a model that will support A/V cables. According to this article at Roku, all of them do.
That's what it says but that is not what is listed under specs and this site has image of the back of it, no composite.

Roku 4 vs. Fire TV vs. Apple TV: 2015 Streaming Showdown

Old 10-16-2015, 10:25 PM

Yeah that kind of contradicts what their website says about if you don't have an HDMI hookup no worries, you can use the composite. So what I did today was email them just exactly what I had and what I wanted to do and should hear from them in a couple of days.

Meantime I'll see if this replacement cable box works. Even if it doesn't I still may dump it and go with the Roku depending upon what they say when they get back to me.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's what it says but that is not what is listed under specs and this site has image of the back of it, no composite.
Apparently the first page I quoted was out of date.

I see now at this page on the Roku site, only the Roku 1 has composite cabling. So I guess that model will be the OP's only option for an old TV.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:25 AM

10,169 posts, read 10,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
According to their website, Roku I supports old TV's like mine with what they call "composite cables." I didn't know what that was until I saw a picture. It looks like what was once called "RCA" plugs in the dinosaur days; red, white and yellow. In any event, I l have lots of outlets for those in back of my TV.

RCA jacks
Composite is red/white for audio and yellow for video.
Component is red/white for audio and red/green/blue for video.
Along with S-Video, these are the three analog signals

HDMI became the most common digital connector in 2007 although some TV's before then had HDMI.

Despite the thousands of free channels on Roku, the majority of owners pay for Netflix, Amazon, Vudu or British Acorn TV. To the best of my knowledge no cable company supports Roku as they do not have a cable Card slot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics