U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:05 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,708,683 times

Advertisements

If you do a lot of printing, I suggest investing in a laser printer. Those things last forever on a single cartridge, and cost per page is far lower than inkject. Printer ink is the biggest scam of all time - they really should regulate the prices of those.

But for now, laser printers are the way to go, despite the higher initial cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 10:54 AM

5,984 posts, read 8,449,728 times
NorthStarDelight, I probably don't print enough for a laser printer, plus aren't those types of printers all bulky & space-consuming? I'll have to think about getting one of those.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:44 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
I have a Canon MG8220 printer (because I need to be able to print on CD and DVD disks).
It has separate ink cartridges, two of them black.
One of them (a narrow one) claims to be *photo black* and the other (wider), I guess *regular black*.

I can buy a whole set if necessary from Amazon for a rather low price, and they are all the high capacity ones.
When you look at the cartridges, you can fill them up all the way or (I guess) only half way ...

The printer came with one set where it only seemed filled halfway !!

I have been buying via Amazon for about 3 years now and never had a *problem*, but ...
You need to open the cartridges over a waste basket, especially if you live over 2000 feet ! (I am at 6000 feet)
You open the package anywhere else, you WILL have ink on your hands, fingers, desk or carpet !!
Been there, done that !!

BUT ... If you want, especially *photo* prints to last forever ...
Then invest a true original replacement cartridges.
These refills last only about two years, and then the colours fade !!

Be honest with yourself, do you know where your two years old hard-copy photographs are ???
99 percent of all my pics are on disk !! The rest is on my phone !
Also, I am not a professional who needs umpteens of hard copy day in day out !!

I do not complain for a measly amount of less than 6 dollars !!!
You get what you pay for, and most of the time (for me !!) black is black !!
The colours are OK, for the time I mentioned !

Costco refills:
I used to get it done by them, but if you have an HP printer, the secret lies in refilling them while only half empty !!
Any less, and most of the time they will not *register* with the printer !!
*Problem* there is that they still a full price for half the ink !!!

So I junked my HP printer, and got a Canon.
Attached Thumbnails
Printer Inks' High Prices & Costco Refill Frustrations! Suggestions?-canon-ink.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 11-01-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-01-2015, 12:07 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
NorthStarDelight, I probably don't print enough for a laser printer, plus aren't those types of printers all bulky & space-consuming? I'll have to think about getting one of those.
Yes, they are a bit bigger than regular printers, but they don't take up that much space, imo.

I don't print a lot either, but I was filled with such rage at being ripped off by the price of replacement cartridges, I was like "never again!"

It's the same reason I wished fire and brimestone to rain down on Polaroid - them selling those ridiculous cameras for cheap and having to pay a dollar for each "instant" photo - back in the 1970's. (!)

I tried doing the self-fill once - I still had ink on my hands a week later...lol.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:50 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LD Products. Another reputable company.
2nded. Been using for years. Even started buying ink for work through them.

Printer Ink and Toner - Inkjet Cartridges - 4inkjets

Old 11-02-2015, 06:58 PM

OP back. Thanks guys!

irman, I had a Canon in the past which I didn't personally like because it took 5 cartridges as opposed to the usual 4, which is enough (& it wasn't a photo printer).

Old 11-03-2015, 05:14 PM

Canon Inkjet Printer Litigation Home

I just found out there's a Canon Inkjet Printer Litigation going on & above is the site about it.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:01 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Canon Inkjet Printer Litigation Home

I just found out there's a Canon Inkjet Printer Litigation going on & above is the site about it.
Hmmm ... Thanks for the heads up.
I have been using mine for a long time and never had a problem with it.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:47 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,542,774 times
I had a business some time ago where I refilled toner and ink jet cartridges. There is about $4 worth of toner and about 3 cents worth of ink in those cartridges. They get you with the low cost printer but get you hooked on the very expensive cartridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or