Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 04:30 PM

12,639 posts, read 14,772,419 times

Advertisements

I'm sick of paying $80 for the 4 ink cartridges at the stores, so I started getting refills at Costco, but they aren't great either. It seems 1/2 of the time, it's a hit or miss & the cartridge shows up as defective on the printer & it won't print, so you have to go through the hassle of bearing the Costco crowds/parking & standing in the long return line to get your money back.

I'm NEVER going to Costco again to get ink refills!

How do the rest of you get quality ink without paying an arm & leg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 06:05 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,730,702 times
I get my ink cartridges at Carrotink.com. They have great customer service and their products. They also send prepaid postal mailing pouches to make it easier to safely dispose of the old cartridges.

I found this company about 12 years ago and have never been disappointed. No, I don't work for them; just am a very satisfied repeat customer.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:19 PM

23,521 posts, read 69,925,450 times
LD Products. Another reputable company.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:56 PM

Thanks a lot guys! I bookmarked BOTH sites. I'll order online from now on.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:59 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,443,126 times
Hmm, I just checked both carrotink and ld products websites and their cost for my cartridges, both black and color, were more than Best Buy, where I have been buying since I purchased the printer almost 3 months ago. With the Best Buy rewards card I end up paying at least a dollar lower than that. I have found that cartridges don't seem to last long, especially the touted Xtra large cartridge. Except for my portable Canon Pixma i100, no printer seems worth it. Why are cartridges so expensive?!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,138,607 times
If you do a lot of printing, it pays to get a "professional" printer that uses larger cartridges (or just bulk ink). My printer is an Epson Pro 4800 (16x20). Cartridges contain 220 ml, and I pay a discounted price of around $70 each, and this is for a high quality, long lasting Epson ink. The 13x19 desktop printer I used before used the same ink, but the cartridges only held about 10 ml each and cost around $15. Savings in ink more than paid for the cost of the printer (~$2000).

Prior to this printer, for large prints I used a 36" wide inkjet in which I bought the ink in bulk (500ml bottles) for around $100 per bottle, but its quality was only good enough for posters. (It cost $13,000 new).

I buy my ink from Atlex.com. They offer good discounts on OEM inks from several manufacturers. I've been buying from them for more than a decade and have no complaints.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,174,082 times
How much did you pay for the printer? Paying $80 for a $200 printer is not very cost effective. I have had terrible luck with refill cartridges, so when we buy a printer we will find the best 4-6 that suit us, then check out their ink prices. Our current printer is about $24 for a pack of one color, one black.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,138,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Hmm, I just checked both carrotink and ld products websites and their cost for my cartridges, both black and color, were more than Best Buy, where I have been buying since I purchased the printer almost 3 months ago. With the Best Buy rewards card I end up paying at least a dollar lower than that. I have found that cartridges don't seem to last long, especially the touted Xtra large cartridge. Except for my portable Canon Pixma i100, no printer seems worth it. Why are cartridges so expensive?!
Its where some manufacturers (maybe most) make their money on printers. I recall one printer (but can't think of the name) that sold new for less than the ink that came with it -- $50 or something like that. It was cheaper to replace the printer when the first cartridge ran dry, but most people just winced and bought the ink.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:17 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,730,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Its where some manufacturers (maybe most) make their money on printers. I recall one printer (but can't think of the name) that sold new for less than the ink that came with it -- $50 or something like that. It was cheaper to replace the printer when the first cartridge ran dry, but most people just winced and bought the ink.
Wasn't that company HP?

Old 10-31-2015, 10:43 PM

OP back again. I have an HP OfficeJet 6700 4-in-1 machine. If only it wasn't for that ink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
The 2 sites given above were both much better prices than what I've been paying at the stores!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
...I buy my ink from Atlex.com. They offer good discounts on OEM inks from several manufacturers. I've been buying from them for more than a decade and have no complaints.
Thanks, I'll bookmark that site too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How much did you pay for the printer? Paying $80 for a $200 printer is not very cost effective. I have had terrible luck with refill cartridges, so when we buy a printer we will find the best 4-6 that suit us, then check out their ink prices. Our current printer is about $24 for a pack of one color, one black.
You're about right...$80 of ink for around a $200 4-in-1 machine for me. I've never ordered online from any of these companies, so I'll defintely try out the one(s) people listed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics