U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 04:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,481,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm looking at this to avoid paying ridiculously high cable bills... Any input? (no pun intended)

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]RCA Digital Flat Passive Antenna - Walmart.com[/SIZE]
Look into a ClearStream V2. It's an outdoor antenna but small enough to fit indoors if you have to. I'm picking up stations about 45 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 04:29 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,213,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If you buy a vhf/uhf antenna TODAY, it will not have the very long prongs for channel 2 to 6 because TV stations are no longer broadcasting in those frequencies.
There are a few stations left on low VHF. In the Philadelphia market, for instance, the ABC affiliate is on RF channel 6 and the Me-TV affiliate is on RF channel 2.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:20 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,539,779 times
^^^^
Looks like the folks in Philly have to use an old analog antenna with long elements to receive those two channels. Thought I read that the FCC made ALL stations using channels 2 to 6 to get a new RF during the digital transition, either H-VHF or UHF. Seems that people at the FCC and the stations weren't thinking about what kind of antenna people would have to use. If all channels were in the UHF 14 to 51 band, it would be cheaper and antennas would be smaller.

Last edited by d4g4m; 11-17-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 03:42 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,415,601 times
We have about one or two channels in my region that is still on VHF.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:20 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,213,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Thought I read that the FCC made ALL stations using channels 2 to 6 to get a new RF during the digital transition, either H-VHF or UHF. Seems that people at the FCC and the stations weren't thinking about what kind of antenna people would have to use.
The abandoning of channels 2-6 was not mandated by the FCC. It was done by the TV stations themselves. These channels just don't work well for digital reception- too much interference. So if a station had a chance to move off of a low VHF channel, they took it. The stations left behind are there because there was no place to move in their market without interfering with other channels.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:06 AM

8,181 posts, read 4,646,752 times
Am going to buy one and try it out. Good old Walmart; you can always return stuff anytime, with or without a receipt! Love it...

Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,481,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The abandoning of channels 2-6 was not mandated by the FCC. It was done by the TV stations themselves. These channels just don't work well for digital reception- too much interference. So if a station had a chance to move off of a low VHF channel, they took it. The stations left behind are there because there was no place to move in their market without interfering with other channels.
It's also expensive to replace equipment.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:36 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,024,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I am surprised Sling doesn't offer TLC just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they offer it down the road though. You can get HGTV with their basic package, and TCM with their Hollywood Extra package for $5 more. I would be willing to add the extra $5, but I've promised my wife I wouldn't add anything else to our entertainment cost until we pay off some other bills.

But, I would definitely look into building your own antenna. All you would need is a couple pieces of wood, a couple wire coat hangers, some washers and screws, and the VHF/UHF transmitter. Probably wouldn't spend much over $2.
I've done this and it worked great! I live close to most antenna, though many hills between me and them. Worked amazingly well.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:43 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,415,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I've done this and it worked great! I live close to most antenna, though many hills between me and them. Worked amazingly well.
Every now and then, I have to move the antenna to a different spot on my back deck, but for the most part, it works pretty well. Of course, during bad weather, reception is going to be flaky, but that was true with satellite.

$20/month with Sling plus about 30 OTA channels - I don't miss satellite TV at all!

Old 11-30-2015, 11:57 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,024,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Every now and then, I have to move the antenna to a different spot on my back deck, but for the most part, it works pretty well. Of course, during bad weather, reception is going to be flaky, but that was true with satellite.

$20/month with Sling plus about 30 OTA channels - I don't miss satellite TV at all!
Here! Here! USe the same strategy, but I also do Hulu and Netflix. No one in my house is complaining. My only complaint, since no one else is, is that I think Dish under-allocates resources to it's Sling service during major programming time (ESPN college football, AMC and the Walking Dead, etc). It's got to do with bandwidth, and many of us use an internet provider that is also in the business of selling television service. Seems like an obvious conflict of interest, but I'm hearing no one talk about it, other than in the context of internet ISP throttling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics