U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:25 PM

573 posts, read 665,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I would think it would depend on whether the old TV still worked. St Vincent De Paul won't take an old tube TV that doesn't work.
True, but OP asked how you got rid of your last TV. Mine worked fine, so I donated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 10:48 PM

890 posts, read 698,216 times
There's always a scrooge in a large crowd. Got rid of TV about 10 years ago and haven't owned one since.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:30 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,260,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
There's always a scrooge in a large crowd. Got rid of TV about 10 years ago and haven't owned one since.
Humbug!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:43 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,944 times
I bought my last TV last Christmas season at Fry's. Around the house I had four other TVs that were more or less just sitting there. So far, I've given one away. I might keep one of the others, but the rest I'll probably just give away, as it would probably be too much trouble to try to sell them, and I'm going to move in the spring to a hopefully smaller place.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 AM

5,750 posts, read 7,195,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
My philosophy is I NEVER buy the ext warranties on a tv or other electronics. most come with 1 or 2 years. if it doesn't go tango uniform in the first year you have a good chance at it surviving the life of the extended warranty.
We've got 2 samsung flat screens that have been going strong for > 5 yrs... and 2 yrs ago I bought 3 cheapo "Sceptre" flatscreens online for my recroom. probably made in hong kong. still going strong.

ext warranties are basically an insurance policy. ymmv but I personally think they're mostly a waste of money.

but back to the OP topic- we recently tried to sell our 10 year old 62" magnavox rear LCD projection tv. one of those monsters that weighs 140lbs. It still worked fine, but we just wanted something smaller. Paid 4grand for that thing back in 2005. Had a hard time giving it away, but finally found someone to come take it for free.

After the holidays I'll be looking for a good deal on a large 4k (uhd) to replace it.
If you buy a TV at Costco and it is below $500, the cost to extend it to 5 years is around $30 (from memory). TV's in 2015 simply are not as reliable. I'm suggesting you have a solid chance of needing a repair. This will also depend on where you are located. Where salt air is present (not here) then I predict >>50% chance of needing a repair. Also if you get a lot of power outages (TX comes to mind) then those fast power cycles cause many more issues on the wrong power supply design.

What I do know is TVs are disposable. Re: electronics. Again, it depends. For home theater products and in 2015, you have video upconversion, HDMI handshaking potential issues, on the fly firmware updates, Ethernet network and wireless capability, Airplay and Bluetooth, zone 2, zone, 3, dual HDMI out, etc. In 2005, take away 90% of those features. IF the warranty is cheap, then I could contemplate it. Or use a credit card that doubles the warranty (my AMEX does this). Cost: "free" (the merchant pays and extra 1.7% cc fees).

Same with cell phones. I get mine from Costco (Samsung) and buy the Square trade. It's a PITA but to execute but for $99 and up to 3 phones replaced even because of stupidity, that is a wonderful deal on a $700 (actual const not subsidized) phone. Putting it another way, I lost money on my phone (a $99 donation) but my wife used it 3 times, my son 3 times, and my daughter 2 times.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:54 AM

3,050 posts, read 2,723,692 times
Bought our last 2 from Best Deal in Town (Tempe), donated older TVs (if they are working) to Goodwill or the Chandler Recycling center if they are broken.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:20 AM

5,750 posts, read 7,195,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Prices on 4K televisions have dropped dramatically, it's incredible.
Much of the reason for the "4k" drop is because the TV doesn't have HDCP 2.2 or HDMI2.0(a). Google it. HDCP2.2 is the new content protection platform that will BLOCK 4K content (HD Content Protection). The BB sales guy has no idea what I just typed because they are "technically challenged". Their manager probably won't either. So they are selling many "4K sets" that have no chance of working with products that will have the HDCP 4K flag. If your home theater receiver doesn't have HDCP 2.2, that too will block the signal.

HDMI 2.0(a) (KEY letter (a)) is for HDR). HDR is a huge paradigm shift in video performance and has nothing to do with 4K. The amount of pixels has far less to do with overall video quality than the total color pallet known as HDR (or High Dynamic Range). So the bulk of the deals on "4K sets" are 4K sets without the ability to pass the new content flag. OR, they don't have HDR. The streaming 4K is heavily compressed because of video bandwidth delivery but those devices will stream 4K even to a non-HDC TV set.

4K looks "better" not so much because of more pixels but rather they use better cameras with better sensors, lenses, and upconversion. 4K TV's look better because they have better caliber glass, optics, and upconversion and NOT because it has more pixels. So yes, there are incredible looking (pending) 1K sets with HDR that will destroy the video quality of current 4K sets.

If it matter, I study this topic and I could write a book about the technical differences.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,326,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Prices on 4K televisions have dropped dramatically, it's incredible.
I didn't care for them, I bought one and took it back. Most current and older movies on a 4k look like they were filmed with a handheld camera, it makes a lot of the movies cheesier. The only thing 4k was decent for was sports, but it wasn't a big enough difference to justify the price.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 AM

1,052 posts, read 997,036 times
I've bought and sold all but one of my HDTVs on Craigslist. You have to deal with a few flakes, but usually you can find a buyer (or a well-priced TV) if you're not in a hurry.

The market for used LCDs is pretty good. I just sold a 40" 1080p for $140, that I bought ~5 years ago for $250. I'd say $110 depreciation in 5 years isn't bad. I'll be replacing it on black friday with a new set, likely ordered online.

DLP TVs are nearly worthless and tube sets are worthless. I didn't even bother trying to sell my wife's old tube TV (which her dad bought new for ~1000 back in the day). We just moved it to our rental condo for our tenants to use. Around here, I don't think Goodwill even takes tube TVs anymore. Put it on the Free section of craigslist and someone will take it, though.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:48 AM

955 posts, read 1,104,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I've bought and sold all but one of my HDTVs on Craigslist. You have to deal with a few flakes, but usually you can find a buyer (or a well-priced TV) if you're not in a hurry.

The market for used LCDs is pretty good. I just sold a 40" 1080p for $140, that I bought ~5 years ago for $250. I'd say $110 depreciation in 5 years isn't bad. I'll be replacing it on black friday with a new set, likely ordered online.

DLP TVs are nearly worthless and tube sets are worthless. I didn't even bother trying to sell my wife's old tube TV (which her dad bought new for ~1000 back in the day). We just moved it to our rental condo for our tenants to use. Around here, I don't think Goodwill even takes tube TVs anymore. Put it on the Free section of craigslist and someone will take it, though.
Even better than that. I just sat my old tube TV out by my driveway.

Within a couple of hours, it was gone and problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or