U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:54 PM

8,260 posts, read 4,667,880 times

Advertisements

If I'm paying $70/month, I might as well keep what I have; it'd be a lot less work! Can use computer at work for Internet; all I really want at home are cheaper movies and TV (and fewer channels), preferably on my existing TV. Sounds like that may be asking the impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 02:43 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is it possible to watch them on a regular (old) TV with some kind of device? Maybe I'm asking the wrong question on the wrong forums...
This is a fine forum. As I said we all pretty much hang out in SCI\TECH. It will get seen here as well as anywhere.

Unless your TV is very old with JUST Antenna input a Roku may still work:
https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/ar...support-my-TV-

Do you have the RED WHITE YELLO jacks?

Not trying to keep pushing you to Roku but $50 for a Roku is a lot cheaper then a $400 laptop which s probably the minimum price most here would recommend.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:46 PM

Yes, I have the jacks in place...

Old 11-23-2015, 02:49 PM

My TV isn't HD; I have to use a converter box. But I could certainly buy a used flatscreen for $60 at any secondhand appliance store...

Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 PM

295 posts, read 233,143 times
Here are a few options:

Standard definition
old tv ---> roku using RCA video/audio connections (Red, white, yellow connectors)

HD
modern tv (used is fine) ----> roku using HDMI cable
modern tv (used is fine) ----> laptop using HDMI cable

Any tablet within the last 3 years or so

Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 AM

BUT you have to have an Internet connection to use all the above, correct? Which I don't.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM

3,269 posts, read 4,897,261 times
Who provides service to the modem? This is what I fail to understand. When people talk about cord cutting are they referring to unbundling those silly "Triple Play" cable packages? So instead of Triple Play you're retaining cable, just without the digital phone and TV portions. In other words, solely internet cable?

Sorry if this is a hijack but this discussion drives me insane because I don't understand.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:13 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,874,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Who provides service to the modem? This is what I fail to understand. When people talk about cord cutting are they referring to unbundling those silly "Triple Play" cable packages? So instead of Triple Play you're retaining cable, just without the digital phone and TV portions. In other words, solely internet cable?

Sorry if this is a hijack but this discussion drives me insane because I don't understand.
Yes. The cable company can usually provide just internet service. The price will vary from company to company and can vary depending on what speed they provide.

If I had to chose, I'd take the internet any day, over a bunch of garbage TV channels that I'd never watch. Then, once you have the internet, you can watch almost anything over the streaming services, for a fee. There are also sites out there that provide free content.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:23 AM

3,269 posts, read 4,897,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Yes. The cable company can usually provide just internet service. The price will vary from company to company and can vary depending on what speed they provide.

If I had to chose, I'd take the internet any day, over a bunch of garbage TV channels that I'd never watch. Then, once you have the internet, you can watch almost anything over the streaming services, for a fee. There are also sites out there that provide free content.
Thanks. Then TBH IMHO the phrase "cord cutting" is misleading and folks should kinda stop using it. Just say "I'm gonna do pure internet cable without the other junk." Again, IMHO; I realize I don't have a magic wand to change culture and the way we all speak.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 AM

I would truly be "cutting the cord," because I wouldn't have ANY cord... No TV, no phone, no Internet... Sounds a bit scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics