U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 AM

8,181 posts, read 4,646,752 times

Advertisements

I am a complete newbie, other than using the computer at work and calling the Help Desk every five minutes. Sick of high cable bills, so am looking to get HULU (for TV shows) and NETFLIX (for movies) online at home. If anyone can walk a complete novice through this, it would be greatly appreciated!

I assume I'll have to get an Internet connection from my local plant board (much cheaper than cable), order the two streaming services, and establish a non-work e-mail address for my Facebook account.

Am looking at pre-Thanksgiving sales and see a Toshiba laptop with Intel Pentium Processor, regularly $500, on sale for $300 (with Windows 10). Good buy? Again, any info would be very helpful; thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 09:11 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I am a complete newbie, other than using the computer at work and calling the Help Desk every five minutes. Sick of high cable bills, so am looking to get HULU (for TV shows) and NETFLIX (for movies) online at home. If anyone can walk a complete novice through this, it would be greatly appreciated!

I assume I'll have to get an Internet connection from my local plant board (much cheaper than cable), order the two streaming services, and establish a non-work e-mail address for my Facebook account.

Am looking at pre-Thanksgiving sales and see a Toshiba laptop with Intel Pentium Processor, regularly $500, on sale for $300 (with Windows 10). Good buy? Again, any info would be very helpful; thanks.
Are you going to try to watch the movies on your laptop? Nothing wrong with a laptop, but I'd rather be watching a TV.

What you need is a "smart TV" or a TV with HDMI inputs and one of the streaming boxes like Amazon Fire or Roku. Or, there's also Apple TV.

In any event, you'll need a modem for your internet service. Some are wireless, some are not. At my place, I use a basic Motorola modem, and I have an Apple wireless router hooked up to that. The smart TV and my Blu-Ray player are hard-wired to the modem, and I use the wi-fi for my desktop, laptop and iPads.

However it happens, once you have your subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu (there are others), you just see that your user names and passwords are entered properly, and you're good to go. By the way, Amazon Prime has some good free stuff on it's service. If you order a lot of things from Amazon, it might be worth a look.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:19 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
You don't need a computer for Hulu and Netflix.

https://www.roku.com/

Not sure why you think you need a computer.

Internet + Roku = Hulu + Netflix on your TV.

Last edited by Peregrine; 11-23-2015 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 09:27 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,159 times
Agree with Peregrine 100%

Get an internet connection, sign up for a Gmail account, and get a Roku.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:43 AM

I have absolutely no problem watching show/movies on my laptop; if I could eliminate the TV set altogether, that would suit me fine (am still using one of those ginormous heavy box TVs with a rented converter/DVR box). Can I buy a Roku and use it with that? If not, and I'd have to buy a new (flatscreen) TV, my money would be better spent on a laptop for multiple purposes. I'll also be retiring within a year or two and will no longer have access to a work computer, so I might as well figure out how to use a personal laptop now rather than later...

Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem watching show/movies on my laptop; if I could eliminate the TV set altogether, that would suit me fine (am still using one of those ginormous heavy box TVs with a rented converter/DVR box). Can I buy a Roku and use it with that? If not, and I'd have to buy a new (flatscreen) TV, my money would be better spent on a laptop for multiple purposes. I'll also be retiring within a year or two and will no longer have access to a work computer, so I might as well figure out how to use a personal laptop now rather than later...
You can watch Netflix and Hulu and, Amazon, I think, all online on your laptop, if that's what you want. Or, on a tablet. if you're going to do that, I'd recommend a wireless modem of some sort.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 AM

Is it possible to watch them on a regular (old) TV with some kind of device? Maybe I'm asking the wrong question on the wrong forums...

Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Is it possible to watch them on a regular (old) TV with some kind of device? Maybe I'm asking the wrong question on the wrong forums...
I don't think so. And if you could, it would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

What is your total budget?

You can probably buy a smart TV at WalMart for $300. You can probably buy a cheap laptop for $300. A modem might cost $100 or so. Can you afford all that?

Old 11-23-2015, 10:25 AM

I can afford it, but am very frugal and don't want to spend more than I have to (which is why I'm seeking alternatives to my cable package, which runs nearly $70/month with all the taxes/fees). Otherwise, I really don't need home Internet at this time. At any rate, I called our local provider - we have only one, for both - and getting a connection would be nearly as much as cable is costing me, so... I have also looked into digital antennas but, according to my online search, nothing would be available at my new address; lots of hills around it.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I can afford it, but am very frugal and don't want to spend more than I have to (which is why I'm seeking alternatives to my cable package, which runs nearly $70/month with all the taxes/fees). Otherwise, I really don't need home Internet at this time. At any rate, I called our local provider - we have only one, for both - and getting a connection would be nearly as much as cable is costing me, so... I have also looked into digital antennas but, according to my online search, nothing would be available at my new address; lots of hills around it.
Internet via cable modem probably would be almost $70 a month. But remember, you get the entire for that price. It sounds like you need cable internet service, a wireless modem, and a laptop. You can always add the TV later. Once you're on the internet with your laptop, you can look at Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or any of the free online streaming services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics