U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 01:31 PM

5,323 posts, read 2,804,702 times

Advertisements

I bought a 70 inch 4k TV . What are my options for 4K content? I am trying to find a true blue-ray 4k dvd player but do they exist?

I just want to watch movies in 4K? I have apps on the TV, but have not been able to achieve 4k greatness.?

Any suggestions !?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 01:52 PM

1,052 posts, read 996,511 times
Blu-Ray 4K players and discs will debut next year. For now, there are a few Blu-Ray players that claim to upscale Blu-Rays to near-4K. Which is odd...because nearly all 4K TVs claim to do the same thing with 1080p content.

Amazon, YouTube, and Netflix have some 4K content. These are accessible via the built-in apps on your TV (except for Vizio TVs, which can't play 4K Youtube videos). Better have a high-bandwidth internet connection for 4K streaming. You can also rent (and/or buy?) 4K movies with the UltraFlix app. This is the highest-quality, least-compressed 4K content currently available. But it is expensive and takes awhile to download.

I have to ask - have you tried watching 1080p content on your TV, with the 4K upscaling turned on and off? Do you notice a difference? I just bought a 70" 1080p set, and at 12-13 feet away the picture looks plenty sharp. It doesn't look that fantastic when I sit on my coffee table, but I'm not in the habit of sitting on my coffee table. Still, part of me wonders what I'm missing out on by skipping 4K.

Last edited by gwarnecke; 12-02-2015 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-02-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Blu-Ray 4K players and discs will debut next year. For now, there are a few Blu-Ray players that claim to upscale Blu-Rays to near-4K. Which is odd...because nearly all 4K TVs claim to do the same thing with 1080p content.

Amazon, YouTube, and Netflix have some 4K content. These are accessible via the built-in apps on your TV (except for Vizio TVs, which can't play 4K Youtube videos). Better have a high-bandwidth internet connection for 4K streaming. You can also rent (and/or buy?) 4K movies with the UltraFlix app. This is the highest-quality, least-compressed 4K content currently available. But it is expensive and takes awhile to download.

I have to ask - have you tried watching 1080p content on your TV, with the 4K upscaling turned on and off? Do you notice a difference? I just bought a 70" 1080p set, and at 12-13 feet away the picture looks plenty sharp. It doesn't look that fantastic when I sit on my coffee table, but I'm not in the habit of sitting on my coffee table. Still, part of me wonders what I'm missing out on by skipping 4K.
I have a vizio 70 inch. I do have a 200 gb bandwith connection. I was considering the new amazon fire, but have read mixed reviews about its 4k capabilities. I also don't want to waste the money on one of those near 4k blue rays. I am currently running my blue ray through my ps4 and it does look great. I just know that its not at its full capabilities of display.

I will have to try that upscaling on / off .. does it make a difference?

Old 12-02-2015, 02:33 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,515,542 times
You can find some items to watch at this link Where to watch 4K TV shows and movies

Old 12-02-2015, 02:35 PM

1,052 posts, read 996,511 times
Yeah, just wait for the real 4K blu-ray players next year. They'll likely also include 4K streaming apps, so that'll give you the 4K YouTube that Vizio is missing.

Try upscaling on/off, I'm curious whether it makes a difference. I didn't notice a difference in the showroom, when the 4K and 1080p sets are side-by-side and all are being fed a 1080p signal. Real 4K content of course looks much better, but only if you're sitting close enough to appreciate.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
There's another thread on here with a similar discussion.

Last December I bought a Sony 55" 4K smart TV for my bedroom. Supposedly, the TV upscales all content to 4K. Anyway, I have a fairly fast internet connection and a subscription to Amazon Prime. Some 4K content is available for free, the rest is available at a cost. 4K content is also available on YouTube. It all looks nice, but from a distance of about 15 feet I can't really tell much difference between the true 4K and the supposedly upscaled 4K. Moreover, from what one poster says, Comcast supposedly "compresses" 4K video, so maybe I've never seen the real thing? I question that, though. Isn't that what buffering is all about?

And for what it's worth, Sony makes some sort of a 4K video player. I think the idea is that you load video onto its hard drive and then play it back on your TV.

I'd buy the TV again.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
There's another thread on here with a similar discussion.

Last December I bought a Sony 55" 4K smart TV for my bedroom. Supposedly, the TV upscales all content to 4K. Anyway, I have a fairly fast internet connection and a subscription to Amazon Prime. Some 4K content is available for free, the rest is available at a cost. 4K content is also available on YouTube. It all looks nice, but from a distance of about 15 feet I can't really tell much difference between the true 4K and the supposedly upscaled 4K. Moreover, from what one poster says, Comcast supposedly "compresses" 4K video, so maybe I've never seen the real thing? I question that, though. Isn't that what buffering is all about?

And for what it's worth, Sony makes some sort of a 4K video player. I think the idea is that you load video onto its hard drive and then play it back on your TV.

I'd buy the TV again.

I was going to buy the amazon fire, but if my TV already has amazon installed on it, do I need the fire device?

Thats where the confusion comes in? I don't have comcast, and the only provider that I read (that provides 4k) is directv......

I am unsure about this though.. I don't mind waiting for the blue ray 4k but who knows how much the first one will cost? I am guessing 500 or so....

Old 12-02-2015, 09:21 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,539,779 times
The only device that will show full uncompressed 4k 2160 will be a blu ray 4k player. [which will be on the market soon] Just as you don't get full 1920x1080 from cable/sat/ISP [it's 1440x1080] You won't get 2160 with them either. You do get full HD 1920x1080 on prime OTA antenna channels. There are no plans from the FCC for transmitting 4k.
If you start viewing movies advertised as 4k, make sure your monthly plan has huge amounts of gigs available.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The only device that will show full uncompressed 4k 2160 will be a blu ray 4k player. [which will be on the market soon] Just as you don't get full 1920x1080 from cable/sat/ISP [it's 1440x1080] You won't get 2160 with them either. You do get full HD 1920x1080 on prime OTA antenna channels. There are no plans from the FCC for transmitting 4k.
If you start viewing movies advertised as 4k, make sure your monthly plan has huge amounts of gigs available.
This is what I don't understand. I can understand that no broadcaster might be providing 4K movies. But what I don't understand is how Comcast can "compress" a 4K movie so as to degrade the picture. They're just streaming "bits," right? you migt use more data, but why wouldn't that simply require a bigger buffer? In other words, if Amazon provides a 4K movie, why don't I see a 4K movie?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:41 PM

OK, I did A little research. Apparently, Amazon uses HEVC to stream its 4K content. YouTube uses VP9? To stream its content. Both compress the content. In any event, my TV will decode either. So, the question is whether those compression codecs? Degrade the picture quality compared to what you might see if you had one of the 4K players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or