Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 07:20 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,350 times

Advertisements

I want a phone that allows me to call people that live too far away to visit.
I don't need a phone that makes coffee.
ie, I don't need any bells and whistles.
I wanted a corded phone, bec. they are less harmful to the brain than cordless.

Last time I needed a phone it took a long time but I found an ATT model which suited me.
ok, it was cheap - I think $25.oo,
but the danged thing just gave out, I had it a little over a year.

so no more AT&T.
(The previous AT&T phone I had had lasted 20 years, but it was made in the era when things actually lasted).

I always check consumer reports for products, I will do that.
I wonder if they even rate the kind of phone I want, since no one much uses them any more.

any ideas much appreciated.

{I know I am a dinosaur, so pls don't tell me to get with it. I know what I want. }

thanks.

ellen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 12:47 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
I don't know, but the last time I bought one I went to my supermarket and found a cheap one that lasted a long time. Of course that was back when they were still more widely used. But it seems like if it is sold at a major brick and mortar store like that, or a major drugstore, then it must be fairly good.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:36 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Maybe you can find some of the old ones on Craigslist or ebay, most of the phones nowadays are junk but the AT&T one that I bought years ago at walmart is still working fine for me, I have it hooked up to a Magic Jack Plus.
AT&T CL2940 Corded Telephone with Caller ID/Call Waiting - Walmart.com

BTW I do not use any of the features, I just make and receive calls on it.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 12-24-2015 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-24-2015, 02:59 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Find a phone that you like, that will do what you want it to, that is in the price range you feel comfortable with. You don't have to use all the bells and whistles just because they are there, just ignore the ones you don't want.
That's what I do with my cell phone. I make and receive phone calls. I don't text, I don't take pictures, I don't surf the web, it is a telephone, that's it! The other stuff is there, and it is free, so I ignore it.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:29 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Here you go:

Panasonic KX-TS550 Integrated Corded Phone with Emergency Button, Black KX-TS550B

Old 12-24-2015, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 6,386 times
maybe you should look for in the amazon? at the thrift

Old 12-25-2015, 04:48 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
{I know I am a dinosaur, so pls don't tell me to get with it. I know what I want. }
Phones like that at Walmart are usually $6-$8 without caller ID and $10 with caller ID. You don't get an answering machine for that price. As most people want cordless there is not a lot of research and development into these phones.

If you are older, than it may behoove you to spend $90 and get a phone with an answering machine and a pendant.
SN1197 - VTech® Cordless Phones

My aunt is in her late 70's and lives alone. She carries a cellular phone with her everywhere, but she fell at the top of the stairs and the cell phone flew out of her pocket and shattered. She did have a landline with her cable company, so she was able to crawl to a phone and call for help. But a pendant may be useful.

The $90 phone with pendant that I showed you does not have a service like lifeline. It stores two phone numbers that you can call in case of emergency. It also has a single button so you can answer the phone and talk like a walkie talkie. A robot voice tells you who is calling.

Sometimes it is easier to answer the pendant, and just tell the caller that you need a few minutes to get to your wired phone. Otherwise you have to scramble to get to the phone in 4 rings.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:51 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,350 times
thank you all for your replies.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:03 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Set a budget.
Since you do not like cordless, all you can do is then buy a bunch of other units all plugged into wall extensions for each room you have, unless you do not mind running to the wherever your only one is plugged in and buy a super long extension cord. At least one unit should have an *ansafone* built in ?
Put that one in the space where you spent most of your time.

Check out the used stuff place in your city.

Sadly, old type corded phones are rather expensive. I have not seen any good ones under 50 dollars.
Else you could go the fun way and get antique looking old ones, and get several old style ones for fun !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics