U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:09 AM

10,563 posts, read 5,814,727 times

Advertisements

A couple of years back while working the phone help desk, I got a call from someone who was having trouble with an old VHS (it seems we get all the calls for just about anything because we are always there and are "free" (that's a long story)). I suggested running a cleaning tape through it...... which, of course, they did not have or perhaps even never heard of it. For me, either coming from that TV era or having been in the computer industry when most of us used tape, it's standard equipment.

Fast forward (all puns intended) to the present and I've just ran a cleaning DVD through one of my machines. You know, getting that kind of equipment at the store is not that easy because these days, they may not carry it at the store front, at least not the cleaning tape ....... even though they still do sell VHS/DVD decks. Okay, perhaps tape is all but dead for this world, lord knows I am trying to convert mine to DVD, but what about playing DVDs? Do people still do that?

I would imagine that they do for I see the box outside the supermarket, but if they do, does the modern world know the value of having Cleaning DVD's about? Me, it seems like an easy stocking stuffer to get sent out. Ie, get on the computer, find a store, use the card, tell them to send them around. Sure, it's not as personable as socks, but it probably works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:23 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Those DVD cleaners have always been a bit of a scam. Nothing you couldn't do with a soft cloth and water at home anyway.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Those DVD cleaners have always been a bit of a scam. Nothing you couldn't do with a soft cloth and water at home anyway.
Kind of hard to do that way, to reach inside the machine when the tray is out and clean the laser head........to say nothing about adding water to the insides of a plugged in machine.

I think you are missing the point. I am not talking about cleaning the DVDs themselves but the internals of the machine they play on.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:15 AM

Yea, I thought you meant to clean discs. Same thing for the lens cleaners though.

It's a laser that reads a disc. It's doubtful any amount of dust is going to keep it from reading. It is not a VHS drive which has magnetic heads which could be safely cleaned with a head cleaner.

How many people here have had DVD players for YEARS and never cleaned them?
/raises hand

Blu-Ray Lens Cleaners? - DVD Talk Forum

Just a way to separate you from your money.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:54 AM

Well, I suppose it depends on how much one uses their players or for that matter, how vital their player is to them.

Ie, I'm sure a lot of people use their players a lot.......but they are probably no where in the ball park that I am. What's the hours difference between someone who uses their player while still watching TV (in the form it is properly known as) vs someone who has almost sworn off TV entirely?

Which says nothing about the loads I put my converters through. At least one tape transfer a day (been since Friday since the last, it's rather hard to keep up with). The DVD sides aren't involved in the tape blanking (when I get to that need), but then there is the need for the cleaning tape (which reminds me, need to check on Maxell since the Insignia cleaning tape leaves a lot to desire).

The other thing is, look at the price difference between a blu-ray player and VCR/DVR deck. Talking more here what people want as oppose to the bells and whistles in each, a player can easily be picked up for under $100 while the recorder deck takes a little hunting and dropping about $230 or so.

Probably across the board, we are talking apples and oranges of the two, but if you want it and you need it, one is probably going to invest a little, in one way or another, to protect it. As it was, when one of the newer ones I had just stopped working, I waited about 10 hours for Best Buy to open up and to my pleasant surprise, they just gave me a new unit. Having a Geek Squad plan was a wise investment (just as a side point).

A key point here is, "Yeah, but Tamara, don't you see, it's all about YOU!".......but isn't there a lot of us in how we shop, anyhow? Further, they may be just one of those items that the receiver would never buy for themselves but if they ever need it, like the DVD cleaner, like the fire extinguisher, like the Swiss Army knife (things I have given), they will probably be glad they were given............................

.............................that is, assuming they can remember where the stashed them after the holidays.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:13 AM

You're missing my point entirely (which I can understand) it isn't a 'if you use it a lot you should' kind of scenario.
There is an actual laser beam inside a DVD player (and a recorder, too, of course).
I promise you that laser or the unit or the projector or the lens (or whatever the manufacturer of your player/recorder calls it) will never need cleaning because of dust. A laser beam could read a DVD through an inch of dust. Your lens will work for decades and NEVER NEED CLEANED. Believe it. Other parts of the player will break down long before it does.
Seriously.
Don't buy something for your family in friends that they are only going to throw away after you leave.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:29 AM

3,064 posts, read 5,739,833 times
Blue-ray players are more expensive because they don't need to be cleaned as often.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:13 AM

Yea, that's not realyl why. It's simply newer technology and DVD players get chepaer because we don't need them anymore. BRay players also play DVD's...

Old 01-03-2016, 09:52 PM

1,080 posts, read 830,588 times
I always used compressed air in my players and computer drives. I never felt those cleaning discs did anything

Old 01-03-2016, 09:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 830,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, that's not realyl why. It's simply newer technology and DVD players get chepaer because we don't need them anymore. BRay players also play DVD's...
that's about the size of it today everthing is throw away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics