U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 04:06 PM

11,092 posts, read 13,106,553 times

Advertisements

Is an FM transmitting device really a lot more technically advanced that a regular FM radio (receiver)?

I remember an episode of Gilligan's Island where the Skipper was trying to fall asleep because he kept having a recurring dream that he was back in the Navy, and he was rewiring a radio in order to convert it into a transmitter. I think at least 50% of GI episodes had a similar theme, but they never explained how the professor couldn't figure it out. Just kidding.

But I'm actually referring to the little devices that people plug their MP3 players into, in order to transmit the music to a nearby radio, such as a car stereo or home stereo, in order to listen to the music player on larger speakers. I'm not even sure if they use any electronic components or not.

Should they be a lot more expensive than an ordinary radio? Such a small transistor radio?

Also, what were they used for in the past? (Other than people stranded on deserted islands.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 09:48 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,544,082 times
Any device designed to 'transmit' FM must comply with FCC regs.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Any device designed to 'transmit' FM must comply with FCC regs.
Interesting. If that's true, I'll bet most Ipod users don't even realize they are probably using them illegally. I used to work with a guy who played it (rock music) through his desk radio. One day when I was flipping through stations I could pick up his Ipod very clearly.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:59 PM

29,668 posts, read 16,081,845 times
Anything that transmits a low power signal, the manufacturer of the device handles the legal requirements and frequency allocations.

Any iPod user is good with whatever they transmit because Apple has already dealt with the legalities in the design phase of the product.

If you are transmitting on FM Frequencies, consumers have a small amount of power that they can freely use.

Low power is under a watt of power.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 12-25-2015 at 06:33 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Any iPod user is good with whatever they transmit because Apple has already dealt with the legalities in the design phase of the product.
I'm referring to someone listening to vulgar music/comedy on their IPod. This would not be legal to transmit. But I doubt that anyone thinks about that when they do. There would be no way to trace that if someone were to broadcast it in a public area on a popular station. It DOES override the radio, as I discovered from my coworker incident.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm referring to someone listening to vulgar music/comedy on their IPod. This would not be legal to transmit. But I doubt that anyone thinks about that when they do. There would be no way to trace that if someone were to broadcast it in a public area on a popular station. It DOES override the radio, as I discovered from my coworker incident.
There are no restrictions on "unlicensed" broadcasts - which refers to a radiated power of .01 microwatts on the FM band, and a coverage radius of approximately 200 feet.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:01 AM

6,618 posts, read 3,626,863 times
All of those Best Buy etc. FM transmitters used in cars etc. are entirely legal and within FCC limits. The consumer transmitters for the general public transmit at levels below regulatory ones. So although you might annoy a person next to you if they happen to be on the same FM station you are transmitting to, no one else will pick up the signal anyways.

It's a whole different story when you look at eBay or a store that markets professional transmitters. Those require FCC approval. The big fines come from pirate broadcasters who use a frequency where they are transmitting for miles, and their signal infringes on the area of a licensed stations broadcast area.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
All of those Best Buy etc. FM transmitters used in cars etc. are entirely legal and within FCC limits. The consumer transmitters for the general public transmit at levels below regulatory ones. So although you might annoy a person next to you if they happen to be on the same FM station you are transmitting to, no one else will pick up the signal anyways.

It's a whole different story when you look at eBay or a store that markets professional transmitters. Those require FCC approval. The big fines come from pirate broadcasters who use a frequency where they are transmitting for miles, and their signal infringes on the area of a licensed stations broadcast area.
I agree.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Actually my coworker was in the next room. So he was not exactly "next" to me.

I think they are basically allowing something that probably is illegal, by making it powerful enough to be useful for the listener. It's just not a big enough deal, and I don't think anyone would care if they happened to hear vulgar content momentarily. They might even welcome it as a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics