U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:21 PM

389 posts, read 471,960 times

Advertisements

I received a few XM gift cards for X-Mas and want to know which kit I need to get XM at home. I have an old but expensive amp with separate preamp/tuner. My car came with XM new so I don't have anything from the vehicle to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
I would recommend getting a Grace Digital Internet Radio for this purpose. The Tuner model is most suited to connect to a home stereo, but you could probably purchase adapters to make any of their models work. I've had a Grace Digital radio for most of the last 10 years.

It requires the Internet subscription to Sirius XM, but IIRC that is a cheaper subscription option than a second satellite receiver. It would definitely be easier to hook up, since it wouldn't require an outside antenna to feed the receiver.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
Bo... He wants to use his system, not buy something else.

Not sure, cvap, why you think XM wouldn't support older systems. Of course, they do. That would be a dumb move to not have a method to run on real audio equipment.

The Onyx should do it.
XM Onyx EZ with Home Kit - Shop - SiriusXM Radio

Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 AM

389 posts, read 471,960 times
Thank you. I knew they must have made something, just couldn't figure it out online. Now you did it for me!!! I haven't bought any audio equipment since the early 1970's. Still have the same tuner, record player, speakers, amp and preamp from then.

Thanks again Peregrine, that kit looks like everything I need.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Bo... He wants to use his system, not buy something else.
From post #1...
"My car came with XM new so I don't have anything from the vehicle to use."

The Onyx is a separate vehicle receiver from the one OP already has. To use this with his current subscription, He'll have to install the Onyx in the vehicle and move the subscription onto it from the built-in system. Either that or pay for a second receiver on his current subscription.

So the OP gets to choose between installation hassle and carrying a portable receiver between the home and car for the same monthly cost, a second receiver and doubling his current subscription cost or an Internet radio and slightly increasing the cost of his current subscription.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 AM

303 posts, read 334,193 times
I got a new car with free Sirius XM for six months. To get it for free through the internet, I just went to their web page and signed up. Like the rest of my internet and computer audio, it's signal runs from a stereo audio-out jack on my computer, through an RCA left-right adapter, to audio-ins on my Denon AVR.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:02 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
From post #1...
"My car came with XM new so I don't have anything from the vehicle to use."

The Onyx is a separate vehicle receiver from the one OP already has. To use this with his current subscription, He'll have to install the Onyx in the vehicle and move the subscription onto it from the built-in system.
No he won't, the kit that was linked to is specifically designed for home use, notice the product description: XM Onyx EZ with Home Kit, he'd just add it as a second receiver on his account.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:29 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,539,779 times
XM will sound great on your home system. I have XM music channels as part of being a DISH subscriber. If I leave the TV on, it shows title of album, song name, artist playing/singing.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:43 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
XM doesn't really sound great anywhere, it's highly compressed and sounds very muddy compared to radio/CD/mp3

Old 12-31-2015, 08:54 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
Sounded fine in my car when I had a free year of it. Every bit as good as FM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or